PDA

View Full Version : How Its Done!!!!

Bizkit
09-09-2008, 11:16 PM
Ok............FIRST OFF.....I normally would NOT do this type of thing. I think for me its Taboo, I hate to show someone what Im "about" to paint. But since your all a pretty easy crowd to please Im going to go out on a limb here let you all in on how I go about my business. I am going to TRY and keep up with this as this painting progresses, we will see how that works out. The painting Ive choosen here is one of my "typical" "erotic art" girls, in a well, premiscous, shall we say pose...:thumbsup: >? I picked up the canvas this afternoon, its 30X40, I love this size because of the impact I get when I paint a rather provocotive pose. I POURED gesso on this canvas, I wanted it pretty darn smooth and I actually had to use a spatuala to remove some as I got a bit carried away in the process. So this is one smooooth canvas Im working off of. Ill be doing this with my Black and White mixed paints and I pray to God I have enough pre-mixed cause its gonna look pretty stupid if I dont. This will be six colors from Straight Mars Black to Straight White. Ill be using Liquitex, opague, matt paints. Im going to put a shot of Colbolt blue in the upper left corner for some dramatic effect...we'll see If I can pull it off or not..

So lets get started..........Heres the canvas, primed and ready.
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h319/Hellcat65/DSCN0376.jpg

Heres my "rig"...This is the laptop connected to my Projector. Notice how professionl this all is........:lol: :lol:
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h319/Hellcat65/DSCN0378.jpg

Here we are hooked up and ready to rock and roll....the image Ive selected is projected onto the canvas. Not sure if you can see the Canvas in the photo but trust me its there..(I would never draw on the walls!!!)
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h319/Hellcat65/DSCN0377.jpg

Heres the picture Ive selected......I think from this angle you'll see the canvas. Just as a side note: The color you see here is not the color of the finished painting..the projector is set to script and kinds deletes most of the color me to make it easier to trace.
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h319/Hellcat65/DSCN0379.jpg

Heres the finished line drawing.......I know, Its hard to make out, trust me its there...Total time up to this point....2.5hrs, one rum and coke, 4 marlboro's.....:evil:
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h319/Hellcat65/DSCN0380.jpg

So there you have it..........the beginning of a "Masterpiece".........Ill post more as this progress's right in this thread, if your interested keep it marked!!!!

Lady Carol
09-09-2008, 11:28 PM
Biz, this is cool. It is always informative to see how others work. I know it is putting yourself out on a limb but kudos to you for doing that. I do a lot of tracing too.

Raymo
09-09-2008, 11:48 PM
Way cool, thanks Biscuit !
I've never traced a painting but I sure as heck would if I had that sweet outfit. Is that the kind you got Kathie ???

Bizkit
09-09-2008, 11:51 PM
Thanks Ray...Its a time saver to say the least. Projecting my image weather I drew the original or took it from a picture is a time saver when it comes to transfering to to canvas. I think there are ALOT of artists that employ this method they would just rather you think they dont........

I actaully do know how to draw.....:lol: :lol: , if you look at my blog all of the Oils were hand drawn with out aids.

AMuse
09-10-2008, 12:02 AM
I do do freehand drawings on very small works but usually transfer the big drawings onto my support with tracing... re-drawing would drive me crazy.

but that is a sweet set up you have Mike. that projector is something else!

Bizkit
09-10-2008, 12:05 AM
I do do freehand drawings on very small works but usually transfer the big drawings onto my support with tracing... re-drawing would drive me crazy.

but that is a sweet set up you have Mike. that projector is something else!

Thanks Kathy, believe me I could easily paint a billboard with it........:cool:

OkeeKat
09-10-2008, 12:14 AM
WOW Mike thanks, Looks good so far!!
Similar projector Ray but yes it wil project a photo that big!

susme48
09-10-2008, 01:25 AM
Very interesting....now I have a hankering....maybe a driving need...I want a projector...:lol:!!

Mixael
09-10-2008, 05:03 AM
While I absolutely love to see how how others do their stuff, I must admit to a bit of jealosy (is that spelled right?). I want the projector setup you have! My method of drawing and enlarging is downright tedious!

I also like the light drawing on the canvas. Mine are a bit too dark, really, but it gets the job done.

Question on the gesso; did you take it to a super-smooth finish, or mostly smooth? Just askin'

Michael

Breton
09-10-2008, 06:48 AM
Hey, Mike, great set-up! Can I ask what make and model of projector you use? I have a projector, but I have to print photos and clip them to it, which is a real pain. I'd kill for one that plugs into the computer.

:)

Laurie

arl
09-10-2008, 08:06 AM
Wonderful set up and I like the WIP steps for sharing info and knowledge.

mooz49
09-10-2008, 08:51 AM
Hi Mike ...... what an interesting thread ..... it's great to see how it's done! ......looking forward to seeing the end product .....
I must say your workplace looks very neat and tidy! :thumbsup:

~~Kathleen
09-10-2008, 10:37 AM
How very interesting.
Action shots!
Love 'em!
Thanks for sharing this with us Mike!
Gonna go and get me a projector now.
Then I can change my bedroom into a studio and my small
painting area into a bedroom:eek:
(Problem is the bed won't fit,and I'll have to sleep on the floor diagonally!!):lol:
~~Kathleen

oicclouds
09-10-2008, 02:23 PM
I have projector envy! :envy: :envy: Vicki

NDee
09-10-2008, 03:37 PM
Wow! I want a projector like that too! I just looked up some prices and they aren't cheap...but they do offer low monthly payments..hmmmm...

gurleygirl
09-10-2008, 05:11 PM
How cool is that!!!!!!!! Excited to see more!!
Tracey

AMuse
09-10-2008, 05:34 PM
I have projector envy too!

when I do kids portraits I trace out the major "landmarks" Eyes, nose, mouth, chin.

I can just imagine how much faster it would go if I had a projector... then I could get on with painting so much faster!!!

Raymo
09-10-2008, 05:56 PM
Mike....what brand is your projector ? Cant wait to see some updates on this.

MrsG_SoCal
09-10-2008, 06:42 PM
I have projector envy too! :rolleyes: My overhead projector is looking very old fashioned now.

Bizkit
09-10-2008, 07:40 PM
Holy Moly.,.......what a bunch of envious people you are...:lol: :lol: :lol:

I do hope everyone enjoys the thread, I think its going to be educational as well fun!! Thank-you for all of the great replies thus far.
To answer the looming question of the day......My Projector is a Epson Powerlite 77c.
Heres a link if you desire to check out the specs..
http://www.projectorcentral.com/epson_powerlite_77c_multimedia_projector.htm

Before you all rush out and purchase a projector I would encourage you to do some homework and make sure you get exactly what you want. You will definately get what you pay for. This projector will likely run you in the neighborhood of $700. I think its dirt cheap, I need to sell one painting and its paid for, which by the way mine is.:thumbsup: I bought it after I sold the Rolex and Panerai Watch paintings you all might remeber from a few months ago.
Back to projectors......be sure to shop around, look for open box, or display models, these things pop up in the strangest places. Mine was purchased through a local chain electronics store, (BestBuy), by way of Tax free day, and open box. All in all I paid less than Half.....WHAT A STEAL!!!!!!!
It does every thing I want it to do and has all of the bells and whistles, even a remote, what more could a guy ask for!!!!:rolleyes:

So there you have it all of you projector envy people!!!!!!!!! Hope that helps you along in your decision, the projector will definately make your life easier!!!!

MRSBB
09-10-2008, 10:51 PM
Hi Mike. Thanks for sharing your method of painting. It's always interesting to see how other artists work. Good idea of the projector. I'll have to see if there is one in our basement, must be....my husband saves everything. hahaha.

Back to the painting. She is very alluring and sensual. Nice work......Lenore

Bizkit
09-10-2008, 11:21 PM
Heres tonights progress update.........Ive blocked in the Black and there is one coat of blue. I was in a hurry on the photo cause its late, tomorrow nights will be better I promise.......:D
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h319/Hellcat65/DSCN0383.jpg

edtree
09-11-2008, 07:25 AM
:wave: Hi Mike! What an interesting and informative thread! I think a projector would work wonderfully for murals too (though your painting is about as big as one, lol)

Thanks for sharing your methods and set-up, your painting is shaping up to be a real beauty! :thumbsup: :D

Elizabeth

Mz_Sketch_Pad
09-11-2008, 09:12 AM
very neato!!!! i'm glad u did this- its amazing to see how others work

noodle1
09-11-2008, 10:10 AM
I've looked into projectors but never could decide between good, better, best, except price. Very cool set up, may I ask the product name. Not to take away from your endeavor but it generally takes me so much time to tweak a sketch on a panel this would get me where I want to go in the first place, to the Painting!
Thank you for sharing, will be following your progress!
Ooooo just saw her beginning, :thumbsup:

Elaine

OkeeKat
09-11-2008, 10:12 AM
looking great.. pulling up a chair to watch Mike at work!!
Wheres the popcorn Kathleen?? thought you brought it??

gingersnap
09-11-2008, 11:59 AM
could you please let us know the kind of projector you are using???? i have never seen one like this...
ps : looking forward to seeing the next step!!

gurleygirl
09-11-2008, 12:57 PM
There is a link to the projector in post #20.

Bizkit
09-11-2008, 11:22 PM
Not too much visible progress tonight, I was extremely tired from work all day, had to get groceries, and went out to eat, LONG DAY!! I did manage to go over the blue one more time,(as evidence by the wet paint in the photo), and hit it with the dark gray in a few areas.....:thumbsup:
Heres the pics to prove I wasnt screwing off all night long......

Last night.....09/10

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h319/Hellcat65/DSCN0383.jpg

09/11

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h319/Hellcat65/part2.jpg

Detail of gray......
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h319/Hellcat65/part3.jpg

~~Kathleen
09-12-2008, 12:55 AM
Wonderful
(As always)
Unbelievable detail.
Now stop with the "Working hard" That only pays the bills.
We are waiting here Mike.
And you don't want us getting impatient!:wink2:
Do you?
~~Kathleen

Bizkit
09-12-2008, 01:00 AM
Kathleen-
If all goes as planned, I usually get quite a bit done over the weekends on my paintings. Hopefully, this will be one of those weekends.......
Mike

Oh........whats up with this new avatar I see you got? Cute.....!!!

~~Kathleen
09-12-2008, 01:56 AM
If you do a good job this weekend mike, I promise I will buy you a coffee!
Oh........whats up with this new avatar I see you got? Cute.....!!! http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Sep-2008/92567-Artist_Duck.jpgHere is a close-up of the picture.
I bought a new hat, yellow polka-dotted dress and shoes the other day.
Kind of thought I'd appeal to your better senses and show you what a
real good looking woman wears instead of sheets!:lol:
Now....what would you rather paint? HUH?:evil:
~~Kathleen

mooz49
09-12-2008, 04:08 AM
I keep calling back here to see more of this erotic woman emerging ...... and I'm a woman!! ......... so what must it be like for the men? ..... :lol:
She is looking good Mike :thumbsup:
Kathleen you sure are a cute chick!

Bizkit
09-12-2008, 09:34 AM
Kathleen I like Starbucks!!

Anne let me just say its a real pleasure painting these and seeing them emerge over the course of time.

oicclouds
09-12-2008, 11:28 AM
I love nudes and I've been painting male and females in a similiar fashion. However, mine don't look this great!

I'm also waiting on more progress.................... Vicki

Bizkit
09-12-2008, 05:13 PM
09/12

No work today due to Tropical storm warnings:clap:
Dont worry, I think were safe!!!!
I did manage to paint quite a bit this afternoon, heres the progress thus far.....Its now starting to take on a life of its own. None of the colors thus far are 100%, each one will be gone over from time to time during the process as needed.
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h319/Hellcat65/part4.jpg

OkeeKat
09-12-2008, 05:19 PM
Realy looking great now Mike.. better and better as it progresses!!

objectivistartist
09-12-2008, 05:49 PM
ah - now she's starting to look like a WOMAN... :evil: :rolleyes:

mooz49
09-12-2008, 06:11 PM
....now this is getting exciting .....:wink2: ....great work Mike! :clap:

Bizkit
09-12-2008, 07:16 PM
Thanks, Kathie, Robert and Anne..at this point of the game for me anyway, it will start to get interesting quickly,..those eyes, nose and lips need to be dead on to this off........

deadsam
09-12-2008, 08:37 PM
putting a projector on my wish list :)
I usually do a cartoon of the painting then copy that over once I work out the details and get rid of all my scribbling, but this would be so much easier :)
although latley I just started painting and seen where it lead to then worry about the details later on (many boo boos this way but it's fun lol )
but yuppers a projector is on the list now for sure :)

Bizkit
09-12-2008, 09:08 PM
Sam-
Glad to hear that projector is on your list...I would also recommend a Jump drive if you dont already own one. I keep all of my pictures on a 2 gig jump drive to eleviate jamming up the computer with a bunch of pictures. I think Ive got well over 500 on a drive right now. They are broke up into different files such as JPEG and PDF. The PDF files are the ones that are ready to paint whenever I choose, Ive got about 75 ready go at a moments notice.
Yes, the Projector will save you an immense, and Insane amount of time. Another major plus in using the projector is you dont have all those damn eraser marks all over the canvas, smeared pencil marks, and smudges!!!
Good luck, you can do it!!!

Mixael
09-13-2008, 01:50 AM
It's looking good, man! :clap:

Michael

autolisp
09-13-2008, 07:15 AM
If like me, you are on a limited budget (retired), but you still want to get images larger that A4 format on to a painting ground. If you have a computer. Try this method.

Buy a software package that prints 'Posters'. This means that you can state how large the printed picture needs to be. The software then prints the picture on several sheets of A4 paper (how many is up to you).

Align the printed pages to get your finished picture. Tape the edges of the pages together. Place it over you ground and trace the section that you need.

I hope someone finds this useful

autolisp

Bizkit
09-13-2008, 12:23 PM
It sounds very time consuming, but if it works.............

jerrylipp
09-13-2008, 12:33 PM
Cool Thread!

I use a projector occasionally, this makes me want to dust that puppy off. Please keep us updated.

Bizkit
09-13-2008, 03:07 PM
Cool Thread!

I use a projector occasionally, this makes me want to dust that puppy off. Please keep us updated.

Hi Jerry........Nice to see you hanging around here and checking things out!!!! I am actually suprised that for those that own projectors dont utilize them as much as they could. I dont know of any other method to get this good of a perspective with out one. I think/believe a few of the members here have had an eye opening experience and will be purchasing one in the near future though!

autolisp
09-13-2008, 04:06 PM
Align the printed pages to get your finished picture. Tape the edges of the pages together. Place it over you ground and trace the section that you need.

I forgot to say that I use charcoal or graphite pencil over the rear of the pages. It makes this idea into a transfer paper.

It doesn't take that long. You only need the 'draft' quality of printing on standard photocopying paper, 'depending on the complexity of the original'.

autolisp

deadsam
09-13-2008, 05:21 PM
I am going to start a new photo collection out west, I had about 500 or more from here (alot of rolls of film when I was using the trusty 35mm) but I been digital for quite awhile now, I figure it's a good restart out there and theres plenty to paint so I am starting the photo collection over again once I get out there, so I'll be snap happy for about a year lol.
I usually just go nuts with my backdrops and don't use refrences but it'll be nice to do sketches once only and just project them onto the paper and paint the outline cartoon that way.
It will save me a heck of alot of time thats for sure.
reference photos I usually only use for parts of it (even though there all mine taken by me unless the odd one I do from here) I usually change those so much because I only take I what I need and make up the rest
but all that sketching and then retracing my sketches is such a hassle (espcially covering the back of my sketch with graphite and redrawing it again so its a nice crisp line) what a headache this method was but it did leave nice crisp lines, now heck with the lines I'll just paint it with the projector :) and graphite on the back is ok if its small but when your doing a huge painting then it becomes a workout program, (move those biceps, oops dang nab a third or fourth time I had to get the exacto knife out the get more lead free lol) by the time your done the wrist are sore and you need a break lmao.

Bizkit
09-13-2008, 07:36 PM
Here is todays installment thus far....................:thumbsup:

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h319/Hellcat65/part5.jpg

~~Kathleen
09-13-2008, 08:38 PM
good grief, keep this up mike, and I'' have to buy you TWO COFFEES!:eek:
Coming together really nicely!
~~Kathleen

id-art
09-13-2008, 11:17 PM
Looking for more progress reports. Interesting process.

OkeeKat
09-13-2008, 11:56 PM
Really looking great Mike, starting to pop out now with depth, amazing!!!

Bizkit
09-14-2008, 12:31 AM
Thanks Guys......and Ladies!!
It is starting to look really good now, the size of it is the most impressive aspect to me. The photos dont do it justice, Ill take one of me next to it when completed!
Thanks again, for the great support and comments!!

edtree
09-14-2008, 05:43 AM
:wave: WoW! You've come a long way since I peeked in last! I am really liking that blue area in the left corner, and the woman's expression is perfectly provocative. I'll bet this is even more phenomenal in real life! :thumbsup: :D

Elizabeth

Bizkit
09-14-2008, 09:04 PM
Thanks Elizabeth,
It will likely be a while before I post on this one again, Im in that, what I refer to as the boring stage. Im going back over all of the color thats already on the canvas to darken it up and make necessary corrections. Ill post more as I make progress.........

Roger Evans
09-14-2008, 09:27 PM
Looks great. Yeah, I think we should all pose next to our finished work to give it scale. I'm going to do the same on my train painting when I finish.

Roger

howyadoin
09-15-2008, 06:05 AM
Lookin' good, Mike. A bunch of these would look great in a bar.

Bizkit
09-16-2008, 11:54 PM
I actually managed to slop on some paint tonight for a couple of hours...Basically just tightening up lines and adding highlights. I did put in the lightest color of gray..down hill from here. Hopefully, this will be finished by the weekend:thumbsup:

Looking at this from across the room is simply amazing, very powerful picture indeed, looks like a photo standing back away from it.....

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h319/Hellcat65/part8.jpg

Close up and detail work...
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h319/Hellcat65/part9.jpg

AMuse
09-17-2008, 11:55 AM
WOW - It's really looking great!

ExpressiveAngie
09-17-2008, 06:42 PM
Wow Mike!
what a great thread, thanks so much for the effort of putting it all together.
She is already so gorgeous!~

Bizkit
09-17-2008, 11:49 PM
Well Hello Angie Rowe, I seem to remeber you...........LOL!!!!!! Thanks for the kind words and be sure to visit my Blog site as well for the rest of the pictures you may have missed......Good to see ya back!!

OkeeKat
09-18-2008, 10:09 AM
WOW Mike looking awesome.. does look like a photo from distance!!

acrylicsgirl
09-18-2008, 05:03 PM
amazing......