PDA

View Full Version : silver storm cleared

HOllyLL
09-09-2008, 08:38 PM
not the best photo, will replace w/better one tomorrow, but ready for c/c. As the storms that come up on the beach in Wells clear, they usually leave various dark clouds behind, or on the horizon and the water reflects the silvers that can still be found in the rolling clouds above. Size 20x24 on gallery wrapped canvas, 3rd in my Wells beach series. Please help me improve, c/c appreciated.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Sep-2008/95500-silver-storm-cleared.jpg

~~Kathleen
09-09-2008, 08:43 PM
WOW!
~~Kathleen

susme48
09-09-2008, 08:49 PM
Really nice!!!

Phranque
09-09-2008, 09:18 PM
I really like the water, not so sure about the light streaks in the clouds in the upper right. Very effective.

DesertDarlene
09-09-2008, 09:30 PM
I like it, but it seems a little monochromatic for my tastes, but well done overall.

C_Line
09-09-2008, 11:04 PM
I think it's really dramatic Holly - I'd like to see you maybe try some softer edges in some of the clouds. Why not experiment with using something like a large filbert in which you've wiped off most of the paint and then on a dry surface start building thin layers of colors with your long sweeping strokes. When you use too much paint on the brush in areas where you want "lost" or soft edges, it can be harder with acrylics to get that. That's where dry brushing is so handy.

I've learned that soft edges allow the eye to go back deeper into the composition or view. Hard, crisp edges tend to come forward, whereas soft ones recede. Those crisp, hard edges on the waves coming towards you work well - and you've got some breaks in them which allow the eye to move back into the scene. So, I would say the top half of the painting could use those softer edges and transitions, but the bottom half is quite lovely just the way it is.

barsha
09-09-2008, 11:12 PM
The intricacies of clouds make me ponder,
Who creates this beautiful wonder?
The shades and shapes of clouds make me bewilder,
Why my mood is set by sky high wanderer?

LOVELY!:)

HOllyLL
09-10-2008, 08:09 AM
thank you all for your kind and helpful comments...here's a better picture..I may go in and soften the clouds a bit (thanks Celeste!)...and I'll repost if I do!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Sep-2008/95500-silver-storm-cleared_better.jpg

NM Painter
09-10-2008, 12:26 PM
Holly - This second photo came through VERY BLUE on my monitor! And I was just about to say how much I love the 'articulate grays' and warm whites in the first photo! Which one is closest to the original?
It's a beautiful cloud/water painting. I agree with celeste about the cloud edges. And I'd suggest that the softest edges and closest values should be on the most distant clouds to strengthen the sense of distance.

DesertDarlene
09-10-2008, 04:09 PM
I actually like the blue tone, it looks brighter to me. It's still mostly one color, but the second one is my preference of the two. That's just me, though.