PDA

View Full Version : Looking for info on an acrylic sealer!!

jennienorris
09-09-2008, 04:32 PM
I was recently in an art gallery and saw several acrylic paintings that were sealed with a very high gloss coating that looks very thick. Sort of like liquid plastic??? I am not at all familiar with these types of products, so I am looking for anyone who might be familiar with what this might be. Any suggestions to get me started in a direction to do some research would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!:wave:

~~Kathleen
09-09-2008, 04:36 PM
Search out Bret (Howyadoing) in the "Whats on your Easel thread above.
He uses this product a fair amount.
~~Kathleen

NM Painter
09-09-2008, 07:11 PM
I think I know what you mean, and I believe it's an epoxy resin. Very toxic. Use outdoors or with massive ventilation and a heavy duty mask.

Lady Carol
09-09-2008, 07:34 PM
It is a resin that is poured on to create the high gloss and the somewhat thick looking appearance.

JamesDFarrow
09-09-2008, 07:37 PM
They may have used several coats of lacquer too.

I have lacquered on top of acrylic paint and I could see that you could build up the layers to make it look like glass. I used it just to seal it as it was all I had at the time. And with the toxicity of the stuff one coat was enough for me. This nasty stuff can give you a wicked headache.

If you do try lacquer just make sure you read the label instructions. Some chemical lacquers may burn the acrylic paint.

James :)

halthepainter
09-09-2008, 07:47 PM
I know several artists who use gloss acrylic jell medium over their paintings. I have done it myself. It looks alarming when you put it on but it dries clear and levels out although you wouldn't think it would.

When dry it does looks like you've put on a thick coat.

~~Kathleen
09-09-2008, 08:28 PM
Here you go, it is made by Golden (who else?:))
http://www.goldenpaints.com/technicaldata/selfgel.php
~~Kathleen

Antony Burt
09-10-2008, 10:07 AM
I have used Liquitex Gloss Medium/Varnish to thickly coat an abstract painting. Right after I put on a somewhat thick layer, I painted into it with traces of paint. This 'floated' the paint to good effect. (I then added still more layers too.)

Another action painting was coated with a LOT of Gloss Medium/Varnish right after it was done. The wet paint slowly mixed with the liquid Gloss Medium/Varnish (even coming to the top at some points). It took several days to dry.

Gloss Medium/Varnish when put on thickly, can cause cracking (I don't know why it happened) but the cracks worked well in the paintings though.) The Pouring Medium by Liquitex is supposed to not crack, but I have not tried it.

There are lots of acrylics mediums that can be used to coat a painting (besides the top coat of varnish), and they are not toxic. You can use them as they are, or mix them with paint or gels for effects. You can layer them on in several thin layers, or in thick layers.

AMuse
09-10-2008, 11:35 AM
I've used the self leveling gel and it is so cool... you can ribbon paint into it and get a really awesome 3-D holographic effect. Just left alone it will dry super clear and glossy. you can mix colour into tar gel and drizzle it into the layer of self leveling gel and marbleize it... the experiments are endless.

BUT you can't stir or shake or mess around with it too much or you might get bubbles in the layer that are really hard to get out.

jennienorris
09-10-2008, 04:02 PM
WOW! You people are quick - That was my first post - I'm pretty new here.... I think I like it!!

I do mostly graphite drawings and was thinking of experimenting with mounting a drawing to wood or old sheet metal then sealing it with something like a resin. Can't help myself, gotta try something different.

Thanks for all your replies! Now, I'm off on a quest! Will be much easier now that I have somewhere to start.:thumbsup:

Einion
09-10-2008, 04:22 PM
It is a resin that is poured on to create the high gloss and the somewhat thick looking appearance.
Further to what Carol said here, it could be Envirotex Lite or something like it, mentioned in these past threads:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=380957
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=395843
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=465510

Einion