PDA

View Full Version : California Poppies 2

MickeyJayne
09-09-2008, 12:18 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Sep-2008/110170-California_Poppies_2_

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: California Poppies 2
Year Created: 2008
Medium: Watercolor
Surface: Watercolor Paper
Dimension: 11x14
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
This is the second study I've done in preparation for a larger painting. I wanted to try a few things out before diving into the bigger piece.

I love super-saturated color and I also like paintings with a lot to look at - I know the background is way 'too' busy, but I've already decided I like that.
I like my paintings to have an Oriental type of feel - fairly flat, don't care about realistic colors or lighting and I like a lot of calligraphic line.

This one was a lot of fun to paint.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
I would love to hear any comments or critiques you have for it - it would be especially helpful as I decide what I want to keep when I move onto the bigger painting and what I want to do differently as pertains to color, style, etc.
The next painting will be a different composition from a different reference photo, but would still be interested in what you think of this paintings composition.

Thank you for looking.

tgsloth
09-09-2008, 01:05 PM
Study? You call that a study? I think you've passed the class and ought to get tenure. Recall the raves you got on your other watercolors. You'll get more here; I'm happy to be the first and I usually try to make some sort of critical suggestion but the attached image is perfect. Also nice job of generating a fine quality digital image from your painting.

Your subject, flowers, is a classic one but it's one where you've brought some originality, none the less and it's one which sells. Get these watercolors into the hands of your patrons.

Corby
09-09-2008, 01:24 PM
I'm sure someone will make the comment and so I might as well. I think I would entitle it "Poppies Of The Fields" Being specific and calling it a 'California Poppy' does not work because they come in color from a pale yellow to an intense glowing saffron. I have never seen them in this rose color. That's not to say this is not beautiful. It is wonderful.

tali
09-09-2008, 03:12 PM
This "study" glows! Beautiful! It's so nice to see another non chroma-phobic :)

MRSBB
09-09-2008, 05:26 PM
It's a beautiful painting, and yes there is a new breed of pink California poppy. You have done a great job on capturing it. ..........Lenore

Corby
09-09-2008, 06:13 PM
heeheehee...hehehehe...:D I also knew that as soon as I said it someone would say: "Oh there are pink ones now!" And right you are MRSBB! :thumbsup:

MickeyJayne
09-09-2008, 06:45 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Sep-2008/110170-Calif_poppy_photo

:wave:In MN they are! I have some in a bright orange and a red also (and a few yellow ones), but that's funny because someone else told me they'd never seen this color before! I didn't know they were unusual - never been to California I guess. :) But, I would actually like to title it something else - just not feeling particularly creative on the naming front today.
Thanks for the comments and encouragement everyone. I'm so happy that I've started posting here!

artbywr
09-10-2008, 09:37 AM
Beautiful! The name's fine. Sometimes we overthink things.

cbcarnell
09-10-2008, 01:57 PM
This is just amazing - it flows and vibrates with colors, it almost looks like it could be a fantasy underwater garden with the poppy petals and leaves undulating in the water. I love this! Your skill with using transparent watercolor is impressive, and I can't wait to see your next post.

zoropb
09-10-2008, 06:44 PM
Very pretty!

Sergio

kathrynlovespets
09-11-2008, 11:45 AM
so whimsical...i feel like a fairy will come popping out of one of those or a mermaid will swim by

cjorgensen
09-20-2008, 03:14 PM
I have a BIG critisim for this: Wahh! It's not hanging on my wall!

I don't think the background is too busy, and I love the lyrical lines. I think it's PERFECT. :)

halthepainter
09-20-2008, 03:30 PM
Lovely painting, however, all the California Poppies I've ever seen were a rather bright, vibrant orange.