PDA

View Full Version : Why He Loves Her...

Autumnwillow
09-09-2008, 01:58 AM
Hello Scribes!

I lurk here and every now and again will post when I have calligraphy of interest to show (as in NOT addressed invitations!). It's been a while, but I've been loving the alphabets you all are doing... I keep wanting to participate, but I do mostly commissions, murals and portraits and the like.. you know, the stuff that pays the mortgage! I may have some time to play soon, I hope..

So this is my latest, finally something other than addressing envelopes :rolleyes: This is a list that a gentleman made for his wife, who is always asking him, "Why do you love me?" He doesn't think he's romantic, but to me, just the fact that he took the time to write the list, and then to hire me to write them up pretty for her is incredibly romantic.

This project was a bit busy with all the wording (it was handed to me as a list, and the client said, "Make it happen"), so I tried to format it like a poem, and the client also added some of her loves.. German Shepherds, dragonflies and red roses. SHyeah... a bit awkward fitting it all in. I hope I managed to keep it elegant with all the mixed elements. I will be taking it to him tomorrow, so we'll see what he thinks... Of course, C&C are always welcome from my friends here too! :D

It's final framed and matted size is 16x20, so I think the actual work is about 12x16 or so, done on an ivory parchment-look paper I purchased at the art shop a while back for another project (very thick but not real parchment), with a Shaffer fountain pen using the fine nib (yeah, I'm being lazy not using the dip pen) using a dark brown ink I mixed a while ago (in other words, I have no idea what brands/ colors I used to mix it, but it's waterproof- it was for envelopes). Sorry to be so vague!! :o

Overview:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Sep-2008/64104-Leon_complete_rs.jpg

Close up of the dog and rose... done with sepia pen first, then colored with watercolor pencils, slightly smoothed with water... I'm trying to decide if the dog looks goofy... :confused: Any thoughts?

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Sep-2008/64104-Leon_complete_dog_rs.jpg

And finally, a close up of the dragonfly and some of the lettering, same watercolor over pen technique as the dog/ rose:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Sep-2008/64104-Leon_complete_dragonfly_rs.jpg

The dragonfly was my fave... Again, feel free to comment and critique so I can learn for next time, if he accepts this tomorrow. If he doesn't, I may be able to utilize this time! Thanks for looking!

Michele

Jakeally
09-09-2008, 02:38 AM
What a great piece Michele and you have executed it beautifully:clap: :clap:
Thanks for the closeups:heart:
I think this is a very romantic thing to do and I bet his wife will just love it

marie_d
09-09-2008, 06:29 AM
Beautiful work Michele. I think you have achieved a wonderful set up incorporating the dog, rose and dragonfly within your calligraphy, I like the balance.
The German Shepherd is drawn very well, love the colouring and the expression in the dogs eyes. The brown ink goes well with the colouring of the dog as well, I also like the way you have broken down a large volume of text by writing it in little paragraphs.
FANTASTIC :clap:

BTW..Loved your 'Back to Egypt' mural you painted in one of the other forums. If you ever need any photos re;hieroglyphs/tombs etc give us a shout.

Hiraeth
09-09-2008, 07:31 AM
Marie said it all! What a wonderful expression of your client's desires! I'm so glad you shared it with us before sending it off to its new home! Wouldn't it be fun to be there when he gives it to her?

debsn2paintn
09-09-2008, 10:30 AM
Oh Michele, he is going to LOVE it...and she will too! You did such a fabulous job on everything, I really like the dog with the rose in it's mouth, and your calligraphy and composition is outstanding.... I think :)

Autumnwillow
09-09-2008, 10:37 AM
Thanks for popping over, Chris!! :D I hope she likes it, my original concept (based on what he wanted) was pretty messy looking, but he didn't seem to care WHAT I did as long as I "made it happen", so I kind of ran with it. So I hope HE likes the changes I made... :o

Marie, thank you so much!! Wow, that was a great comment full of details, I really appreciate it. And I will keep that in mind for any future Egyptian work... may I pass that info on? A fellow muralist here on WC has mentioned she's going to be doing an Egyptian theme soon...

Kim, I love your dog, what a cutie! Thank you so much for the compliment. Yes, I sometimes do wish I could do an "unveiling" for the recipient of my work, but I think being a fly on the wall (unnoticed) would be even better... I'd get the uncensored version, and if they didn't like it, it wouldn't be so awkward with me there :lol: I love the letters you've been doing, btw ;)

Michele

Autumnwillow
09-09-2008, 10:38 AM
Hey Deb, missed ya up there! Thank you for venturing over to take a peek, too! And thanks for the vote of confidence, I really appreciate your input! :D

Michele

panny_mouse
09-09-2008, 12:53 PM
Beautiful!!! The shepherd and rose look really good, and I love the dragonfly too. You are so talented Michele!

jeanvrb
09-09-2008, 01:48 PM
Yep, I popped over also and glad I did. I can't think of any other way that you could have incorporated the 3 requested items. I like the fade-out of color on the dragonfly. I have been wanting to see some of your calligraphy and now I have. I like the way you incorporated your signature to make it look like part of his hair. Beautiful. The pen work and wc pencil work on the rose and dragonfly really enhances the painting. You mentioned smoothing the wc pencil work with water. Did you just finger it, or did it with wet brush?

I think the outstanding thing in the whole project is the expression in the dog's eyes. I have seen that expression in my dogs' eyes. It is a look of adoration for the person who loves him. Anytime you leave and then return, a dog is a new penny every time, and you can do no wrong in his or her eyes. It's a brand new welcome every time and you have that look perfect in the dog's eyes.

Autumnwillow
09-09-2008, 02:42 PM
Aw, thanks Peggy and Jeanette, shucks :o I appreciate you ladies coming allll the way over here from Decorative Arts, there's a ton of cool stuff to see here in Calligraphy, hope you got to check some of it out!

Jeanette, I used a wet brush to smooth out the pencil. I did it sporadically for two reasons.. 1) wanted it to be a bit loose ;) and 2) this isn't watercolor paper, so I didn't want it to warp. It did just a teeny bit, but it looks good in the frame under glass. I really like the technique, it's a little bit pencil and a little bit paint, but you can cover larger areas than with just colored pencil. Plus it looks smoother...

So the consensus seems to be that it's ok as is, I have framed it and it's ready to go. Thanks again ladies!

Michele

Hiraeth
09-09-2008, 02:48 PM
I do something like that with watercolor pencils. I use a Stampin' Up blender pencil to 'wet' the watercolor. Sometimes in larger areas, it looks a bit streaky, but if I go back in with the pencil again, it fills in the gaps and retains the blended coverage.

Aw, thanks Peggy and Jeanette, shucks :o I appreciate you ladies coming allll the way over here from Decorative Arts, there's a ton of cool stuff to see here in Calligraphy, hope you got to check some of it out!

Jeanette, I used a wet brush to smooth out the pencil. I did it sporadically for two reasons.. 1) wanted it to be a bit loose ;) and 2) this isn't watercolor paper, so I didn't want it to warp. It did just a teeny bit, but it looks good in the frame under glass. I really like the technique, it's a little bit pencil and a little bit paint, but you can cover larger areas than with just colored pencil. Plus it looks smoother...

So the consensus seems to be that it's ok as is, I have framed it and it's ready to go. Thanks again ladies!

Michele

marie_d
09-09-2008, 02:55 PM
Michele...you can by all means pass on any info re the egyptian photos. Would be very glad to be of help to anyone who's in need of ref pics. I have uploaded quite a few photos under Egypt in the RIL but I didn't post a lot of the hieroglyphic ones because I thought they would be boring to look at if you were not interested in learning to read them as I was (Middle Egyptian Hieroglyphs) at the time.

Autumnwillow
09-09-2008, 03:13 PM
Uh oh, Marie... I hope you didn't see anything bad written in my hieroglyphs! :eek: I really just copied some symbols I found, thinking the whole time, "I hope this is good stuff I'm writing..." :lol: The only stuff I did on purpose was my initials and the date I did the mural, that's how I signed it... ;)

Michele

Hiraeth
09-09-2008, 03:44 PM
Wow! Marie! I didn't know you were into hieroglyphics! Is it a hobby or an occupation? I loved studying the Ancient Egyptians and often thought it would be a neat occupation to be an Egyptologist (is that a word? :lol: )

Michele...you can by all means pass on any info re the egyptian photos. Would be very glad to be of help to anyone who's in need of ref pics. I have uploaded quite a few photos under Egypt in the RIL but I didn't post a lot of the hieroglyphic ones because I thought they would be boring to look at if you were not interested in learning to read them as I was (Middle Egyptian Hieroglyphs) at the time.

TessDB
09-11-2008, 03:27 PM
I've been meaning to comment on this... It's absolutely beautiful!

I love how you worked the dog (which is wonderfully rendered, btw! :thumbsup: ) in to the overall layout of the piece. But my favorite bit is the dragonfly. So delicate and lovely and just sets off the lettering really really well!

Looking forward to seeing your next project! :wave:
Rosemary

Autumnwillow
09-11-2008, 04:30 PM
Thanks Rosemary (aka Tess) ;) The dragonfly is my fave too, I kind of wish that had been the only art element. But hey, it has meaning to the recipient...

I delivered it Tuesday, and he loved it. He even gave me a hug! I haven't heard anything about his wife's response to it though...

Thank you all for your comments and help!! :D

Michele

virgo68
09-18-2008, 10:31 PM
Michele, I am a little slow responding but just wanted to say how lovely the piece worked out. What a beautiful gift - I would treasure it so I hope the recipient has.

Your calligraphy is beautiful and I love the dragonfly (being a bit of a dragonfly fan myself!). Congratulations on a great piece.

Autumnwillow
09-19-2008, 12:23 AM
Thanks Jackie, comments are always appreciated, no matter when!

I did just get word from the client the other day that his wife loved it, that "no words could express her emotions" when he gave it to her... :D

Ah, that's the kind of ending to a project that we all hope for, I'm so relieved...

Michele

InkyEss
09-20-2008, 03:07 AM
Beautiful work on this Michele. :thumbsup: I love the romance too. Not many men are so thoughtful, which is a great pity. So nice for you to hear how it was received too. Thanks for sharing with us.

Autumnwillow
09-20-2008, 03:10 AM
Thank you so much for your comments, Sharon! I'm grateful for each and every one... :D

The funny thing is, the client doesn't think he's romantic... I told him it's incredibly romantic that he took the time to write down all of those reasons and to hire someone to express it for him in a nice way...

Michele

zeenjan
11-03-2008, 02:58 PM
I'm a bit late to the thread, but I think this is increadibly (sp?) romantic. Hehe have you client read this thread, maybe then he'll get the hint?

Not only romantic, but you did a wonderful job. I'm just learning calligraphy, so there you go.

Oh, and your dog does look goofy. But in an appropirate way. My dog gets the same goofy look sometimes, especially when I'm gonna give her a dog cookie.

Autumnwillow
11-03-2008, 09:38 PM
Hello zeenjan, thank you for commenting! Yes, I think he got the hint about how romantic this really is... he just doesn't consider himself a romantic, per se. But I would melt if my husband had something like this done, though I can't imagine him hiring someone else to do it and I think it's unlikely he'll hire ME to do it :lol:

I'm glad you feel the dog is "appropriately" goofy, that makes me feel better ;)

Thank you so much for the compliment, I really appreciate you taking the time to comment :D

Michele

azulparsnip
11-05-2008, 01:50 PM
beautiful hand-

Autumnwillow
11-05-2008, 10:41 PM
Thank you azul! :D

bepos
11-17-2008, 10:41 PM
Michele
I just popped into the calligraphy forum because I realized that I have never visited before. I'm so glad I did! This is such a beautiful piece. You are a woman of many artistic talents!
Time to check out the rest of the talent here. Humm... calligraphy....looks like fun!:)

Autumnwillow
11-17-2008, 11:01 PM
Cindy, thank you so MUCH! That is very sweet of you... I think you would be VERY good at calligraphy, be sure to share ;)

Michele

CLWilliams
11-22-2008, 01:56 PM
This is lovely, Michelle.

Charlotte

elsietreenut
12-13-2008, 07:44 PM
How wonderful to be part of such a loving gift from a man to his wife!

I love the delicate wings on the dragonfly.

jjsangel
12-14-2008, 05:51 PM
I really love this piece. I thought I had posted on it before but apparantly I didn't. I think the look on the dogs face is wonderful and has a very loving look which fits the piece nicely and the dragonfly is great. A very nice and touching piece.

Autumnwillow
12-14-2008, 06:59 PM
Wow, I thought this thread had died a long time ago, thank you all for your kind comments!

Charlotte, your work is lovely, I especially love your Carousel Horse done with only 3 colors... nicely done!

Elsie, I too am a tree nut ;) Yours have such expression... and your Stairway to Heaven makes me want to climb those steps to see where they go! Wonderfully achieved!

Sharon, thank you so much...better late than never I always say! I LOVE your rendition of "dragon" flies, by the way, very clever... I'm flattered that you feel the dog and dragonfly work-- to be honest, I was struggling with how to incorporate the elements he requested... "she loves red roses, German Shepherds and dragonflies..." O...K.... not exactly cohesive! I was impressed though that he knew she loved those things! I'm guessing most men, when asked what their wives like, would say, "um... ahh... well... err... shopping?" :lol:

Thanks again!

Michele

pamelalbd
12-15-2008, 03:26 PM
My first time over here too! And I'm sure going to come back and check out all the beautiful work here. Michele this is the most beautiful piece! Lettering scares the Beegeepers out of me so I admire so much the beauty of calligraphy. Your work is just beautiful! You just gotta love this man too don't ya!!! Mine has a list too but its not as flattering! :lol:

Tosh
12-20-2008, 05:03 PM
Wow Michele you are so multi-talented, this is great! Love the dog and dragonfly.

Seeing all the reactions I'll have to remember this one:wink2: for that special girl:D

Autumnwillow
12-22-2008, 12:28 PM
Oh... My... Gosh... Pamela, WOW your work is just stunning! Scratchboard is something I have NO patience for, you have impressed me greatly... that ape, :eek: WOW. And the lionfish.. and... oh, man, you are GOOD. Thank you so much for your comment... but I'd bet you could do great calligraphy ;)

Tosh, great to see you over here, venturing into the Calligraphy forum! You already know your work floors me ;) .. YES, learn from this man!!! Women LOVE sh.. I mean, STUFF like this, trust me, I AM one, and would LOVE for my hubby to do something like this for me.. though like Pamela, his list might not be as complimentary :lol: I thought it was romantic enough that he even wrote up the list, much less hiring a Calligrapher to write it and draw her favorite things for her... {{sigh}}

To mens credit, this is the third such thing I've done for men, the other two were a poem (http://wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=347196) and some song lyrics (sorry, I didn't post that one), written up on parchment and aged to look old. So there are a few romantic guys around, ladies ;)

Thank you all again for the kind comments on what I was worried would be a mess of a piece!! :D

Michele

JanetteBC
12-31-2008, 03:09 PM
lovely work