PDA

View Full Version : Weekly Scumble Sept 8 Thru 14

K Taylor-Green
09-08-2008, 11:23 AM
Morning all! Welcome to the Scumble, our weekly chat thread where we share the happenings of our everyday lives.

The weekend's hunt test was a blast. Harry did a good job, but still didn't pass his test. He still has problems on the water blinds and Carol had to direct him for too long, so no ribbons. Bummer. But you can't pass them all, no one does. Also, he has a pulled shoulder muscle, so he is out for the rest of the season. Crate rest for two week, then back to Carol for more intensive water training, then home for the winter for hunting, then testing in the Spring. He will get it. He works like a well oiled machine on land, just looses confidence on his water blinds.
For those who don't know what that is, it is where they hide the duck and the dog has to find it by direction of the handler. He hasn't enough confidence in being directed to let her "show" him where it is. He thinks he can find it on his own and he goes to where he retrieved his last marked duck, which is the wrong place! He will get it. It will take more than a couple of failed tests to make me give up on my dog!
Anyway, we had a great time. We camped out and we had 8 Labs with us. It was quite a full house in camp!

IdahoHat
09-08-2008, 05:29 PM
Wow! Camping with 8 Labs sounds like a hairy party! Oh well, Harry is still young. He'll catch on the directions by the handler eventually.

This weekend I spent doing some tutorials over in the Portrait Classroom. It's amazing what's available on this website, isn't it? Have two plein aire pictures to finish (tweak.) Maybe I'll get them done today.

It's beautiful here in Idaho, 70 degrees at 1:27 PM. Walking the pug this morning was heavenly.

ElsieH
09-08-2008, 05:31 PM
:wave: Hi All!

Kate: it sounds as if you had a fun weekend! I guess teaching doggies is as challenging as teaching kids! :lol: I'm sure by spring Harry will be ready to pass his test! Such fun!

We have some rain today and it is enough that I won't have to go out and water our new landscape plantings today! They may be hardy prairie plants, but they certainly are heavy drinkers when they are young! It is like having a yard full of babies!

With my husband Bob's surgery and recovery, we had not been going out to our garden for the last week or so. Our property is sort of long going off to the side of the house. Our vegetable garden it way off out there. Well, yesterday I harvested! My kitchen is full of tomatoes! I had not planned to can or freeze much this year. Well, plans can change! :lol: I spent part of the morning stirring a big pot of tomato sauce. That got a good start and I'll finish it off in the crockpot.
Bob is driving himself back and forth to campus again! :clap: :clap: :clap: More painting time for me! Take off my nurse's cap and taxie driver hat and put on my artist hat!:)
This gal has earned some studio time this afternoon! :clap: :clap:

Tomorrow evening, the community orchestra, that I play violin in, will start its fall rehearsals. Since last spring, I've been a little hit or miss with the fiddle practice. I better get a good practice in this evening and tomorrow! I love it! Wonder what music we will play next?

Have a great week!

Pat Isaac
09-08-2008, 06:06 PM
Stopping by again. Sounds like a great weekend, Kate. 8 labs....whew...I'll be Harry does well next spring.
Elsie. glad you are getting some studio time. I'll be in your position for the next few weeks. My husband is having knee surgery next week, just arthrocopic not replacement and a bunch of family is coming for a long weekend this week.
Our vegetable garden is just about done now and for someone who thought the tomatoes wouldn't do well this year, I have canned 17 quarts already. It was the plums that came through.
My community orchestra starts this week also. I play flute and we put on about 6 or 7 concerts a year. Great fun.

Pat

Artistammy
09-08-2008, 06:32 PM
Kate, that does sound like fun.
Elsie, we're having some rain today too that we really need.
Pat, you & Elsie are so talented...playing in an orchestra too.
I painted quite a bit Sat but Sun felt too sluggish. My mother is having a bad pain in her hip so that she can hardly put any weight on that leg. It reminds me too much of what happened before her back surgery. :eek: She's supposed to get an x-ray today & see the Dr Thurs.
Tammy

Pat Isaac
09-08-2008, 06:36 PM
Tammy, hope your Mom will be fine and soon pain free.

Pat

Deborah Secor
09-08-2008, 07:54 PM
I'm all tied up in trying to get a major interview article written amid a very busy week, but I had a couple hours to visit with Maggie (Price) today, which was nice. We live a few miles apart but we don't get together as often as you think we would.

Between writing, I'm doing exotic and wonderful things like washing and prepping my class. :rolleyes: I can see the most spectacular clouds off over the mountains where I used to live! GORGEOUS clouds, all piled up high, with very dark and threatening colors beneath. It's sort of nice to be over here for a change, instead of underneath all that.

Hope everyone has a good week! :wave:
Deborah

chewie
09-08-2008, 09:27 PM
lots going on here, too. wish it were less! i am just about grieving for the paint out i cannot attend this year, in the black hills. just no time nor the money to go, but its painful to not be arriving right about now! ugh! i may get to go to a one day event this saturday, and see some old friends, too.

doing so much on the house issue--still not building but yet more paperwork. i hate paperwork!!

i have tons of art to do, some i look forward to, some not so much, hoping to get it all done by the end of the month cuz i start working at a hunting lodge for this season. (2.5 months of cooking and cleaning, blah!) but i need the money so i guess i'll *gulp* get a job!! i just keep thinking, 'its only a couple months, its only a couple months....' lol!

i'm selling alot of my handmade soaps too! that is a surprise to me, as i only did it for giving as gifts and for our own family.

trying to get all my goats bred too, not as easy as it sounds! the ones i want bred won't yet, the ones i dont' want to, are very eager! argh!

to make sure i have enough to do, we're taking down a building for materials to build our home with. so there is lots of cooking for the crew and getting into the mess myself. but it will help our building issues alot. we plan to build this new home with a very small mortgage, of only a few years. so far, its looking up at least!

take care of those pups kate, that's a handful!

and wish 'mom' well, tammy. it reminds me to take care of myself, and be thankful for health.

hey deb, would love to see a photo of those piled high clouds!

have a great week folks!

K Taylor-Green
09-09-2008, 11:49 AM
Wow, everyone sounds so busy!

Tammy, I hope your mom doesn't have anything serious going on.

Chris, hey! It's bound to get better, right? It's got to!

Harry is resting in his crate and is not a happy camper. Poor injured athlete.
I was very disappointed not to get a pass for his HR title, but definitely not disappointed in the dog. He worked so hard and really tried. You can't fault that. Actually, it's nice to have him home, no matter the reason.

Now, I can work on Blaze's portrait. He is Carol's dog and the sire of the pups I am expecting next week. The portrait is my "breeder's fee". Cool, huh?
I may do it as a demo or WIP. I haven't done one in ages. Just don't expect quick results as fast painting is NOT in my bag of tricks!:lol:

ChristyLB
09-09-2008, 11:51 AM
For those of you who have vegetable gardens: I covet your tomatoes!! One of the things I look forward to most about owning a home is having a place to plant tomatoes (and peppers, zucchini, herbs, fruit trees)...

For those of you who have people close to you with medical issues, I hope everyone starts to feel better and you get your lives back to 'normal'. :)

For those of you who play in community orchestras... that is so cool!!

My baby's six-month birthday is TODAY!! We will celebrate by eating real food for the first time: sweet potatoes! I have everything all lined up, I've been waiting to be able to make him food since... well, since before he was born! This will be much more satisfying (to me) than cereal! I just hope he likes it. I think he will.

I'm busy working a little, painting as much as I can (working on September Pastel Strokes!), knitting here and there, and of course taking care of the little one.

Six months! Holy smokes!

chewie
09-09-2008, 01:57 PM
oh christy, he will be leaving for school plenty soon, dont' you know!?

one thing i wish i'd done more of...be sure to fill out the baby book completely, take more pix than you ever think necessary, and when he starts saying funny kid things, write them down!!! i SO wish i'd of done that esp., i know they said some really great stuff and here i am now, not quite remembering it. *sob* and now they are teen/pre teen and not much of what they say is endearing anymore!!! lol!!!

CM Neidhofer
09-09-2008, 03:00 PM
oh christy, he will be leaving for school plenty soon, dont' you know!?

starts saying funny kid things, write them down!!! i SO wish i'd of done that esp., i know they said some really great stuff and here i am now, not quite remembering it. *sob* and now they are teen/pre teen and not much of what they say is endearing anymore!!! lol!!!
Got that right!! But it starts earlier than we think...soon as they learn "no" and " 'Donald's, Mommy," it's all over!! lol My boys are 24 and 21 now. I'd give anything to have them back at their lovable, hugable, cuddly age of, ohhh...say.....nine months!!! lol Always happy, laughing and no attitude yet!! But enjoy. They grow up waaaaay before their time these days. :)

Christine

Snowbound
09-09-2008, 03:24 PM
Yah, I too wish I had written more, and that I still had all the pics I took (I have only a few left-- so many were all lost). I do keep wonderful memories and stories of my kids when they were growing up (and also some not so good, especially the hormone years).

But eventually you get grandchildren. That's the best--it's a very special relationship, different and with moments that you rarely experience with your own children (because from the beginning, our jobs as parents is to let them grow away from us and become separate beings).

So be patient, and remember the stories. The most fun is telling stories about your kids to your grandchildren! And even some about when Grammy was growing up (though I edit those quite a bit).

Dayle Ann

Maggie P
09-09-2008, 09:47 PM
It's only Tuesday and already I've had a hectic and crazy week. But it may not compare with camping with 8 Labs. You weren't in a tent, were you?

Did have time for a nice visit with Deborah yesterday, enjoyed seeing her new home and --of course--art. Always more fun to visit an artist's studio and see the work in person isn't it?

Christy, I echo those other thoughts--that baby will grow up so fast! Seems mine went from cute babies to walking to school to car keys and gone. But now I have grandchildren, though they are growing up too fast as well. Oh well at least I'm getting a new one in January! They are a joy at all ages though.

Chewie, hope you can find time for your painting with all that work! Sounds tough but it too will probably be over before you know it.

I'm getting ready for the trip to New York, working on class demo plans, etc. Hate getting on an airplane but it will be fun when I get there. Much to my dismay the hotel says they don't have wireless internet, but then that makes my carry-on bag lighter if I don't have to take the laptop--more room for pastels! We don't leave until Saturday (6 am flight, don't you love those?) so I haven't packed clothes yet.

Hope you all have a great week!

K Taylor-Green
09-10-2008, 01:02 AM
LOL, Maggie. Yep, we were in a tent. But we had air mattresses and I slept as comfy as if I were at home! WE had a lovely fire. The Labs were all well behaved. But it was funny to see people's faces as they watched us air out 8 Labs!
I can't wait to show you guys the pictures, but I need to get my Camera back from Carol. I forgot and left it in her truck. Her dad distracted me by wanting to give me a bag of Roma tomatoes. He is a sweet old guy.

SharonC
09-10-2008, 04:19 AM
Hello, this is my first time replying in the weekly scumble. Eight Labs, I don't know how you do it. We have one and now, finally at 10 years of age he and I see eye to eye. For some reason he needs to test me daily, but he is more agreeable the older he gets. :-) My garden is finally producing beans and tomatoes and after testing my soil this spring and adjusting, I now have beets bigger than a radish (in the past they never get any bigger). My youngest moved out this summer so my husband and I are truly empty nesters. (for the time being) We became grandparents this year and absolutely am in love with our grandson. I am coming down from a four day overload of activity weekend, to working two 9 hour days to get caught up from taking two days off. My husband is the chair of the Kirkland Concour d'Elegance and they work tirelessly all year long for the event and the proceeds goes to uncompensated care for children at Children's Hospital and a local hospital. We spent three days driving in old cars around Hood Canal, Lunches and dinners, lots of local wines, attended a gala and the show on Sunday. My husband leaves on Thursday for his annual Fly fishing trip to Montana and I hope that while he is gone I can get my pastels out and work everynight and most of the weekend. I start Pastel classes again on Tuesday Morning and am looking forward to it.
SharonC

ElsieH
09-10-2008, 10:51 AM
:wave: Good morning All!

My, it looks like we are all having a very busy week!

Pat, I hope all goes well with your hubby's surgery! Ah, the life of a nurse, taxi driver and sometime artist...been there done that! Best wishes!:heart:

Chewie: Wow! You are a busy gal! Using old timbers on a new house! Wonderful! Great for the environment and a lovely bit of new/old/new use!
Hope all goes well with the building.

Christy: Happy 6th mo. birthday to your baby! :music: :music: :music:
Oh, yes! Time flies when you're having fun! Have plenty of that fun!
I echo all the ideas on taking photos, baby books, journals etc.

Maggie: Have a great trip to NY state! Oh, a beautiful place to paint!
My family is originally from one of those little upstate NY places without internet access. Last time I was there, my cell phone would not operate either! What bliss! Beautiful place....take pastels and not technology! Enjoy!
Enjoy!:)

Sharon: Welcome! The Pastel Forum is a great place to learn, to enjoy and to make friends! :wave:

The saga of the tomatoes goes on! Made yummy tomato sauce! Many BLT sandwiches, wonderful salads. But, still the kitchen counters are full of them! OK, tomatoes, into the crockpot you go! More sauce!

Pat: Orchestra was great last evening! :music: :music: Lots of new members and some new music to get crackin' on! It is great fun and joy to put that violin under my chin! But, I'd be better off if I did not spread myself so thinly: painting, violin, piano.......:lol: I know...makes for a crowded studio and a full schedule! My studio shares a room with a violin, a cello, a piano and a futon! At least I can pile stuff on the futon! :lol:

Pat Isaac
09-10-2008, 12:06 PM
Thanks, Elsie.
oooh a cello.....the only other instrument I've ever wanted play. One summer i borrowed one from the high school where I worked and took a few lessons, but I just didn't have the time....fun while it lasted.
A few of us in the orchestra met all summer and those that could came. I went a lot this year and I feel ready for the season.

Pat

K Taylor-Green
09-10-2008, 02:26 PM
Sharon, welcome to the Scumble! We hope you stop by often. It is fun to hear from new people. Ahh, a grandson. I just love being a grandma!

Maggie P
09-10-2008, 10:08 PM
Hope the tomatoes were worth it, Kate!

My tenting days are over. These days, roughing it is in a motor home or a vacation rental home. Guess that means I'm getting old. ;)