PDA

View Full Version : What's on your easel Sep 7 - 13

Lady Carol
09-07-2008, 03:13 PM
:clap:

AMuse
09-07-2008, 03:38 PM
Here is the next level of my Mandala. (12x16 on watercolor paper)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Sep-2008/104029-mandala_-_wip.jpg

next come the metalics... I'm thinking copper this time. although an over-dilute bronze with the green showing through would be nice too

deadsam
09-07-2008, 03:39 PM
still nuttin till I move but I got a whole wack of engraved wall paintings I'm gona do as soon as I land, so I guess rough sketches and writtings lol oh ya and some lino also, I got one started (figured I can at least do some cutting and get back into that as well for the heck of it)

sveldstra
09-07-2008, 04:25 PM
Today is day three on this 8X10 acrylic on artboard of a friend of mine's old round barn. Someone asked how come I had not painted it, and since I was waiting on something before I could start my next big project I decided to give it a whirl. I have just started putting in the details. The colours don't come across very well as I was lazy and just scanned it in, It should be finished in the next few days, and I'll do a proper photo when it is.
Kathy- I'm really looking forward to seeing your mandala once the metalics are added. The colours are beautiful.
Sharonhttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Sep-2008/151124-scan0001.jpg (www.freewebs.com/veldstrasart)

~~Kathleen
09-07-2008, 05:32 PM
Kathy....You are going to have to do a tutorial as to how you achieved the background in this painting.(Hint, Hint! see below conversation re teaching:wink2:)
(The colours are so soothing and well matched)
Keep it up!

Sharon, this is wonderful.
The wood (or is it metal) on this barn must have taken you an enormous amount of time. Every slat is perfectly aligned!
Keep us posted.
Here is where I am now with my Hellebore flower.
I was too busy art supply shopping yesterday, so I did nothing on it 'till this morning. (sorry Kathy tehehehe)
I am working on the flower center right now, the Stamens&Pistols and roughing them in.
Eventually the Yellow will be the Stamens in a creamy colour while the Pistols will be white with a touch of Gray. When I finish the center, then I will be able to balance out the shadows in the center so they match the extending petals a bit more. The purple markings have to be refined a lot also, as they are just (almost) registration marks as they are now!
~~Kathleen
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Sep-2008/92567-Hellebore.jpg

susme48
09-07-2008, 05:33 PM
Kathy, that looks interesting so far...will be watching for the next step

Sharon, that is such a cool barn!!

OkeeKat
09-07-2008, 08:03 PM
Kathy, this is fabulous, definately will have to fill us in on how you got this background.. almost looks like tissue paper texture.. ahh btw.. what is a mandala??
Sharon, WOW I love this round barn.. amazing how you got all thos slats just right!! Anxious to see this finished.
Kathleen, I love how this is looking, the center is Great!! just right!! Even the little purplish flecks seem right on!!
Sam, you storing ideas in the little head of yours?? sketching any at least? or just taking photos in the interim??
Haven't done any more on Flicka but hope to do some this eve.
Happy Painting alL!!:wave:

AMuse
09-07-2008, 09:07 PM
Sharon - that barn is really cool.

Kathleen - you are really getting some great detail in there.

as for the background...well... it's easy... all ya need is some common kitchen stuff :-) but it does make for a neat abstract design.

AMuse
09-07-2008, 09:12 PM
Oh Kathie. a Mandala is a "sacred circle" by strict definition. I paint them when I am going through transitions in my life and meditate on what is changing in my life while I paint them. Quite often my colour choices are chosen by how I feel about the change.

often I will include my personal symbols when I paint them (marks that I seem to find myself making over and over) and will build them up until I think they are done.

some people include human marks (eyes, hand prints or figures) but I keep mine really abstract.

susme48
09-07-2008, 11:20 PM
Kathleen....oh my....Kathleen, this is marvelous!!!

~~Kathleen
09-08-2008, 01:16 AM
Thank-you everyone, but I still have a very long way to go on this one.
I have painted in all the freckles, and started detailing the stamens & pistols.
So basically everything is now where it should be.
The freckles have to be lightened in the sunny side of the petals, and darkened on the shady part.
Then I have to do the greenery around the whole flower.
I think I will be 80 before this darn thing is done.:wink2:
~~Kathleen
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Sep-2008/92567-Hellebore8.jpg

Landale
09-08-2008, 01:23 AM
I'm still plodding along on this. Bad lighting for this pic. It has turned into a real learning experience.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Sep-2008/117376-F86_10.jpg
The windows were a real pane.:D

Outstanding flower Kathleen.

Nice looking barn Sharon. I have seen a couple of round barns here in Ohio. I think they are really cool structures.

Andy

OkeeKat
09-08-2008, 08:38 AM
WOW Kathleen, loving this flower.. geting better and better!
Great colors in this Andy, looking great!!

noodle1
09-08-2008, 08:39 AM
Kathy I'm liking this. It sort of reminds me of those thin colored tissues, crinkled,use to own a flower shop and would wrap flowers or stuff these tissue like papers in strategic spots in very simple arrangements, loved the look and the feel. I get that same feeling here. I love it when a piece brings you back to something familiar, you're pieces always return me to a comfort zone and they're always exciting and interesting, terrific so far!

sveldstra- Amazing piece, very interesting subject as well and very well done.
You have a fantastic touch and eye.

Kathleen - Your center is perfect, I love how this one dances.
This is really a very lovely and well done piece so far, can't wait to see when you finish. Terrific progress! You've got me wanting to paint flowers not cats..LOL

Andy - Beautifully done, you put air in the tire too! Everything compliments all other components, but I love the plane especially, it's great!

I'm taking deep breathes and dealing with this cat..:lol: nothing to show so far, having a bit of a time being focused. Great start to new session, I'll enjoy your progress while I wait to see mine..:lol:

Elaine

AMuse
09-08-2008, 04:53 PM
Kathleen, it's really coming to life now! way to go!

Andy - I bet those windows gave you fits!

And Elaine - thank you so much for the wonderful compliment... :-)

sveldstra
09-08-2008, 05:32 PM
Didn't get much time to work on this today. The little one's did not want to nap and my reference photo is on the computer, no hard copy to carry around. Started filling in the trees. Hopefully will be able to do more tomorrow.
Kathleen- I'm really enjoying watching your hellebore develope, I've never painted flowers, but I'm thinking I might give it a try.
Andy- the plane is amazing. It's hard to believe you are working from a photo with bad lighting.
www.freewebs.com/veldstrasart (http://www.freewebs.com/veldstrasart)

AMuse
09-08-2008, 05:36 PM
Sharon, this is really turning out wonderfully. :) I can hardly wait to see it finished.

deadsam
09-08-2008, 06:21 PM
Sam, you storing ideas in the little head of yours?? sketching any at least? or just taking photos in the interim??

im doing some sketches, working on one for a lino print rght now, I'm going to try and see how detailed I can get with that before I loose my marbles carving it all out lol.

also some other sketches for the engraved wall series.

Other then that its all in my head.

its only a dream just a dream lol

Mette Rörström
09-09-2008, 06:14 AM
HI!
Here is whats on my easel today.
Just finnish.
swans.
21 x 35 cm.
acrylic on canvas.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Sep-2008/130835-DSCN0445.JPG

and
this is cats I did for WDE.
acrylic on brown paper.
22 x 27 cm.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Sep-2008/130835-Kittys.JPG

noodle1
09-09-2008, 08:51 AM
Mette- The first one is beautiful, love your water and your perspective!

Now the second, ah not only is this a familiar scene at my house but they're
so perfectly rendered.
They've either just finished as in want more (as usual) or they're wondering where's the food..lol
I always love a piece that makes you a part in some way, stirs you to something more then just it being beautiful or well done. Both Very nicely done! :thumbsup:

Elaine

noodle1
09-09-2008, 09:57 AM
Mette - wanted to share a little fairy with you cause I said they were my favorites and I really liked your painting.

Couldn't concentrate on my "fluffy cat" so I played with acrylics on a watercolor board, took a pix, then added a little fairy to it painted on the computer. Mixing both kinds of acrylics, digital stylus and paint brush. So it was kind of on and off my easel. Fun stuff till I get my head back in place for the cat. I like mixing the two, both take as much time and concentration and I truly hope it wasn't a mistake to post it here, I know there is some controversy over computer art and art. If there is a problem, I apologize in advance, just thought it was interesting how the two aren't that far apart in the end results. In my head still painting.

Elaine

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Sep-2008/139027-fairy-in-watercolor.jpg_for_web

AMuse
09-09-2008, 10:21 AM
Mette - both these pieces are very beautiful, but I have to say that the second one really has a place in my heart! :)

Elaine, I think you can post anything that's on your easel in this tread - and I really like your fairly... wow, what a great job.

OkeeKat
09-09-2008, 11:13 AM
Mette, both are great paintings, love all the detail in the first, the second is so adorable all those kitties, love that background!!
Elaine, cute little fairy, and fascinating background!!
Sam, good to hear your at least doing somethng in the interim!!
Sharon, coming along nicely!!

noodle1
09-09-2008, 11:35 AM
Kathy Thank you!
Actually I was pleasantly suprised the background came out as it did, I flounder in watercolors and this is as close as I come to the "thin" feel using acrylics, putting both together for me didn't seem contradictory but still wouldn't want to offend.
Kathy Thank you as well. I kind of liked the background better actually, cause it's so unlike me. :lol:
Elaine

sveldstra
09-09-2008, 03:40 PM
I finally finished the round barn (yeah!) So tomorrow I can start something new.
Mette- I really like the colors in the back ground on the swan painting, especially the dark blues in the far mountain contrasting with the burnt sienna and ochre in the shoreline.
Elaine- your fairy looks like something right out of a child's storybook, beautiful.:clap:

Mette Rörström
09-09-2008, 03:57 PM
Hi!:wave:
Elain....Thank you!
Your fairy is Beutyful!:clap: :clap: Thanks for shering!
AMuse...Thank you!:)
Okeecat..Thank you!:)
sveldstra....Thank you! Great painting!

AMuse
09-09-2008, 04:05 PM
Wow Sharon! that barn is beautiful!

NM Painter
09-09-2008, 04:29 PM
Kathleen - This is getting better and better! Having been glazing myself lately, I know what a long process it is! And in the end it will all have been worth it. It's a beautiful subject and a beautiful painting. The subtlety of the colors and the glow you are achieving!

~~Kathleen
09-09-2008, 04:34 PM
Sharon, I would strongly suggest that you post this painting down below in the forum.
It is too lovely not to share with everyone.
(Seriously)
And, maybe you would look at the thread;
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=517126

We would be honored if you would consider showing us how you achieved the boards and the shading of them.
~~Kathleen

noodle1
09-09-2008, 07:06 PM
[svekdstra - This is seriously fabulous!! I stood back from the computer screen and it is just as marvelous further away as close up. The barn, tin?, it's so well done.
You have a fine talent indeed.:clap: :clap: :clap:
And thank you too.

Elaine

howyadoin
09-09-2008, 08:25 PM
I truly hope it wasn't a mistake to post it here, I know there is some controversy over computer art and art. If there is a problem, I apologize in advance, just thought it was interesting how the two aren't that far apart in the end results. In my head still painting.Great job, Elaine. The digital and - for lack of a better term - analog bits are merged pretty seamlessly here.

I've created a ton of art combining the two as well, and I can understand your reluctance, given how snobbish and ignorant some people can be. Around the time that I first came to WetCanvas, I posted some stuff on the Mixed Media forum (because the work contained watercolour, gouache, pen-and-ink, charcoal, acrylics and photography, among other things), and was told by a poster that I shouldn't be posting it on that forum because it was digital. Apparently she equated her own sad little attempts at applying Photoshop filters to photographs with my digitally-composited traditional-media pieces. I probably would've walked away from WetCanvas altogether at that point, if Jakeally hadn't PMed me to say I was more than welcome to post my work there.

susme48
09-09-2008, 08:25 PM
Sunset Sky 16x16 wrapped canvas

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Sep-2008/51170-sunsetsky1x.jpg
Well, it's not much...but I got to paint...:clap: :lol: :clap:

He only let me have about 30 minutes...and then the rain started again...so there is lots more to do, if I even keep it. Just felt good to paint again!! :D :music:

howyadoin
09-09-2008, 08:26 PM
P.S. I finally finished the spraypaint phase of my Indian piece:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3055/2844497142_27ff8aacc8_o.jpg

Next up, I'll be tackling the background.

~~Kathleen
09-09-2008, 08:41 PM
Good one Susan.
The sky is great, keep at this one Okay?

Bret.....I don't know where the dropped Jaw smilie is, but that crash you heard was my jaw hitting the desk here just outside of Calgary!
~~Kathleen

AMuse
09-09-2008, 09:01 PM
Susan... I love it - the sky is really beautiful!

bret... my jaw is right beside Kathleen's

wow

OkeeKat
09-09-2008, 09:27 PM
Great sky Susan!!
Bret this is realy looking fantastic!! I didnt realize some of that was spraypainted!!

susme48
09-09-2008, 10:39 PM
Andy this is coming along!! So many details...whew!

Sharon...all I can say is another Wow!!

Sam...I would be nuts by now (almost am...:lol:...very thankful to get to paint today, it had been 6 days)!!

Mette these are really nice!! Love the kitties!

Elaine, wow!! This is too cool...nothing I did digitally was this good, for sure!

Bret...you are gonna be picking up alot of jaws!!

Thank you, Kathleen, Kathy, and Kathie...ah my sweet K-friends!! Y'all are really oK :D!

Mette Rörström
09-09-2008, 10:43 PM
Susan..thank you!

noodle1
09-10-2008, 09:05 AM
Bret Thank you! I would have loved to have seen that piece. Glad someone had the sense to contact you then. Otherwise we'd not be enjoying and exhilarated by you now. The Indian is really something so far, I would love to be the fly on the wall and watch you work.

Sue -Thank you! Spent alot of time at the computer when I worked so it's like everything else, the more you do the better you get.
:clap: You got to paint! This is pretty cool and yes you'll keep it, please.
Good job kiddo, likin' your sky alot! Keep going when time permits gonna be great!

Elaine

Bright Eyes
09-10-2008, 02:55 PM
Almost done! Just need a little more shadowing around Gennett's eyes and some around Ricardo's mouth! Any C & C would be a big help! Thanks.http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Sep-2008/139098-R--G-web.jpg

AMuse
09-10-2008, 04:41 PM
Oh wow!

I'm speechless... that is so awesome

AMuse
09-10-2008, 04:48 PM
I think I'm getting close to done on this one...

I was going to make the background dark... but since my friends mom is in a nursing home, I thought that the light and "lively" background might be more cheerful for her. I have a few more leaves to add.

What do you guys think?

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Sep-2008/104029-IMG_3357.JPG

noodle1
09-10-2008, 04:49 PM
Bright EyesI agree Awesome! Really love the way the texture plays in the portrait. Maybe reading too much into it, but what I get is a real sense of togetherness as you've rendered it, smack dab in the middle of life which is just about as textured as it can get...man I love this!

Kathy - Oh she'll love it, I love it. Think the background compliments the lilacs, bright, cheery and well done, what more could one ask for..good job!

Elaine

sveldstra
09-10-2008, 06:49 PM
Very excited to be starting something new. It's a big one 30X40 canvas I bought with birthday money. Today I sketched in some rough lines, and blocked in some dark around the cougars head. I'm not sure why but with a big wildlife I always like to start with the critter and work my way out. I don't know if the pencil lines will come through on this, if they don't my apologies.
Susan- I'm so glad you got the chance to paint. I know when I can't even for a little each day I feel like my nerves get tighter if that makes sense. Painting is my me time.
Bret- that machine is gorgeous. I'm not sure what made you decide to paint just the section you have chosen, but it's a really interesting cross-section. I can't wait to see how it developes, the texturing is great.
Kim- I'm not sure what you have done to get the texture, and gloss effect with this painting but it is beautiful. I'm sure the couple are going to love it.
Kathy- Lilacs are my favorite flower. You must have amazing patience to have done all those little crosses. I know your friend's mom is going to love it.

AMuse
09-10-2008, 07:11 PM
Thanks Elaine and Sharon. I've been working away at this piece for a long time... those little flowers!!! lol I'm glad I'm at the home stretch!

Sharon - wow - that's a big canvas! I can hardly wait to see what you do with it!

noodle1
09-10-2008, 07:32 PM
Sharon Got a better look in the third attachment.
I'll say that's a "big" canvas, I am as excited to see as it goes as obviously you are to get going with it! Happy Painting!

Elaine

Bright Eyes
09-10-2008, 08:13 PM
Kathy, Elaine, Sharon Thank you!!

Kathy- this is looking really nice! It looks very fresh and alive!

Elaine- Love your interpretation of the painting!

Sharon- that is a big canvas! Looks like a lot of fun waiting to happen!

OkeeKat
09-10-2008, 09:07 PM
WOW Kim, this is realy looking great!! I love the textures and how the body is kinda blending in the background being so dark and their faces just stand out so well!! I love this!! It might be the photo, not sure but they both look a little to reddish to me, kinda sunburned.. maybe is just my monitor.:heart:
Great painting Kathy, gorgous blooms!! My goodness how patient you must be to do all those little flowers!!:clap:
Sharon, Looking great from what I see!! watching close to see how this one progresses!!

susme48
09-10-2008, 11:36 PM
Kim....this is nice!! Love the textures!

Kathy, such delicate flowers...my fav!!

Sharon, wow, huge canvas, and wonderful sketch so far!

I have a question about this one...it was so close to done, that I am not going to put it in another separate thread. I added some tiny little tweaks on the lights last weekend. I have been told the light is better now, but that the clouds mimic the water too much. So I would love your input. So far no one, not even my hubby has noticed the birds...:lol: Maybe that means they don't belong? In the beginning, it was meant only as catharsis, but I am beginning to like it. Thanks!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Sep-2008/51170-storm3x.jpg
16x20 canvas

OkeeKat
09-11-2008, 01:29 AM
I love it as it is Susan!! It meant to be rought stormy skies and sea!! Looks great sign and seal it!!!:clap:

ohh update of FLicka posted. so wont put it here too its in its own thread!!
thanks for looking!

howyadoin
09-11-2008, 05:33 AM
Susan, those waves are mind-boggling. Great job.

As for me, I thank everybody once again for the input; it really helps when I'm essentially painting in a vacuum here; I've only got a couple of friends who are painters, and it's rare that I get the chance to discuss my art with them.

I spent today working on the background of the Indian. Once there's some daylight, I'll shoot a photo of the whole thing. But in the meantime, here's a macro shot as a teaser:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3010/2848108544_ca35926b30_o.jpg

As for the crop of the painting, I basically wanted to fill the canvas. If I'd zoomed out much more, there'd be a bunch of dead space above and below the bike. Plus, painting the engine would be that much harder because I'd have to reduce the size of it, relatively speaking.

~~Kathleen
09-11-2008, 07:28 AM
Susan, while it may not be obvious to you, there is a slight difference between the blue of the sky and the blue of the water.
I have seen many a wicked storm over the lake that I grew up on, and more often than not, the sky and the lake melded!
This is perfect as it is.
Sign it!

Bret, are you awake yet?:wave:
That was cruel.
I'm waiting.......and waiting and so on.......:wink2:
Shucks it is 4:30 a.m. here, There is only an hours difference(?)
~~Kathleen

mpattie
09-11-2008, 11:34 AM
WOW, everyone is doing some really amazing stuff here. Kathleen, love your flower. Bret your indian is looking great. Everyone's painting are wonderful.
I got to the art store yest and got some Opens. Now I just wish I had the time to paint but the babysitting is keeping me busy.
Keep up the good work
Happy painting
Pat

susme48
09-11-2008, 12:15 PM
Thanks, Kathie! Flika is amazing!!

Bret, thank you!! It is nice to share and discuss sometimes isn't it? No one here to talk to most of the time, and I am kind of stuck here...so this is important to me!! Can't wait to see the rest of yours...this looks wonderful!!

Thanks, Kathleen!!

AMuse
09-11-2008, 01:49 PM
Susan - I love your painting. Some paintings are pretty, and that is all they are meant to be. Some are provocative, and meant to shock, but don't really say much. Some paintings are full of emotion and make you stop and think when you look at them, and sometimes you can't tear your eyes away.

That's the kind of painting you have here, it may not be absolutely perfect, but that is part of what makes it even more thought provoking and deeply emotional on a lot of levels. The stormy skies, the waves, the sense of peril and the light of hope... Susan it's amazing

don't change a thing!

AMuse
09-11-2008, 01:50 PM
OK Bret! stop teasing and show us!!!

Bright Eyes
09-11-2008, 02:27 PM
Susan- this is amazing! You really get the energy of the storm coming on! I think the sky and water look great how they are. They compliment each other with a thin ray of light to slice through the storm and bring just a bit of hope. Its all great!:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Bret- :evil: :evil: :evil: No treats for you!:crying:
I feel for you on the whole "vacuum" thing. Getting kind of sick of that blank stare people give you when your excited out of your mind telling them about some new amazing art technique just to watch it go right over their head? Normal folks, they will never understand!:p

sveldstra
09-11-2008, 02:39 PM
I don't think people who don't paint will ever understand it exactly. I know my husband just kind of gives me that tolerant smile when I go on about something relating to art, kind of like the smile you give your kids when they are so proud of the mud pie they just made on your patio table. 'that's nice dear'.
Susan I love the sky and waves, and I see the birds so don't worry they do fit. The storm is rolling in and they are headed for shore.
Bret- teasing like that is just not fair.
I'm enjoying the big canvas. It's just one big happy mud pie here. My muse was posing in the picture, I think he thinks it's him. Happy painting all.:smug:

AMuse
09-11-2008, 02:48 PM
Of course it's him! lol

it's coming along fabulously Sharon.

I'm starting a new piece today - I was out taking pictures of my sunflowers as they are filling up with seeds and the petals are coming off... I don't know I think it's beautiful, the circle of life kind of thing... :)

so that is what will be on my easel as soon as I print out my reference pics!

howyadoin
09-11-2008, 03:00 PM
Heh. Since everybody asked so nicely:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3013/2848190257_4d36420245_o.jpg

Would've shot the photo earlier, but I was in dire need of sleep.

howyadoin
09-11-2008, 03:03 PM
I don't think people who don't paint will ever understand it exactly. I know my husband just kind of gives me that tolerant smile when I go on about something relating to art, kind of like the smile you give your kids when they are so proud of the mud pie they just made on your patio table. 'that's nice dear'.The weird thing I notice is how few people comment on the art when they come to my place. I mean, the entire front hallway is full of paintings, and the wall across from the bar is pretty much full, too. You'd think someone would at least say, "hey, that's a lot of paintings."
I'm enjoying the big canvas. It's just one big happy mud pie here. My muse was posing in the picture, I think he thinks it's him. Happy painting all.This looks promising. I'm assuming you'll be leaving out the wire fence?

AMuse
09-11-2008, 03:05 PM
Well - it's about time you showed up Mister! lol

it's beautiful... I'm always fascinated with your use of texture. (I guess I wanna be more like you when I grow up! LOL)

AMuse
09-11-2008, 03:07 PM
My husband doesn't get me and my art either. (nor does he understand why I need so much "stuff!")

Luckily I have a good friend who actually went to art school and totally gets me! in fact she and I are taking an art class together in a few weeks. :)

susme48
09-11-2008, 03:26 PM
Sharon...wow, this is going great!!

Bret....http://www.mysmiley.net/imgs/smile/confused/confused0054.gif (http://www.pearlpoker.com) that is soooooo GOOD!! I love the depth...looks like you could just climb on and go! Gotta show hubby when he gets home....now he is gonna want that one too...:lol:
Oh, BTW...what is sleep? :)
My hubby understands about the 'stuff', just maybe not the difference in quality...:lol: as he persists in buying me craft brushes from WalMart...but I use them anyway. And he tries to understand what I say...he is artistic and could paint if he wanted to...but is not interested. He has a good eye for composition...maybe his structural engineering background? And not too bad on colors either. My only problem is he thinks everything I do is good...:lol: A nice ego boost, but not too good when I need to be told what to change.

howyadoin
09-11-2008, 03:29 PM
Well - it's about time you showed up Mister! lolI was up till 5:00AM, so draggin' my sorry behind outta bed so early today was a bit of a challenge.

it's beautiful... I'm always fascinated with your use of texture. (I guess I wanna be more like you when I grow up! LOL)Thanks. I had a few moments last night when I came close to repainting the background with black gesso. Now I'm glad I stuck with it; it really gives me a sense of what'll be possible when I paint the engine.

AMuse
09-11-2008, 03:34 PM
I was up till 5:00AM, so draggin' my sorry behind outta bed so early today was a bit of a challenge.

That's what time my youngest rousted me out of bed!:lol:

~~Kathleen
09-11-2008, 04:23 PM
OH MY!
Bret, that is fantastic.
Have you considered showing it to the editors of "Vintage" motorcycle magazines?
Sell it to a "Collector?"
I think this is a Masterful work of art, and would strongly suggest you post it "Down Below" for comment.
You are an excellent artist, and If anything prompts sales this one will!
(Charge very big $ for it!)
~~Kathleen
who is in total awe of this painting.

eliza ollin
09-11-2008, 04:28 PM
Howya, you have outdone yourself, that is TREMENDOUS!!! I absolutely LOVE the background, I am soooo glad you resisted the black gesso. :clap: All that delicious color is a twist I was not expecting, and it's knocking me out...

I also want to say I'm personally indebted to Jakeally for making you feel welcome here at WC, you are an inspiration, and I'm so glad you stayed, so the rest of us could have someone to learn from and hang around with! It was seeing your art in another thread that brought me to the Acrylics Easel, and got me participating. I've learned so much in the past since then, not to mention I really delight in everyone's company. So thanks all around, to the wecomers and the the posters and the cheerers on! :clap:

PattiLou
09-11-2008, 04:32 PM
Thanks. I had a few moments last night when I came close to repainting the background with black gesso. Now I'm glad I stuck with it; it really gives me a sense of what'll be possible when I paint the engine.

:eek: How could you even think that. It is looking very good!!!

Sharon - If I had a cat that close to my paint, the paint would be all over everthing. :lol:

Oh, my hubby understands about "stuff"... as long as it is his stuff, :p . If it is mine we get rolling of the eyes and "Why do you need that?

Everyone is doing wonderful work, lots of eyecandy to look at.

susme48
09-11-2008, 04:41 PM
Bret, showed hubby...of course as soon as I said Indian...he said motorcycle...:lol:, and since he is part Indian, that did not seem a sure bet to me. Anyway...from a rider, past owner, etc...he thinks that maybe the front fender and the front tire seem to be at dif angles? and that the undeerside of the fender might be too rounded? I don't know anything about mechanical stuff...so I don"t know. He does like it tho'...and still loves the car too!! I suppose I need to learn how to do those or big trucks. :) We are both glad you did not go black, that color is wonderful!!

howyadoin
09-11-2008, 04:42 PM
Aw, now I'm blushing.

Last night was just a temporary crisis of faith. Dealt with and gone, now.

As for selling it, that's something I'd rather not think about till it's finished, at least. That background really feels like a breakthrough. I'm definitely gonna enter it here (https://secure.fwpublications.com/competitions/artistsmagazine/amoc/amoc_details.asp), though.

~~Kathleen
09-11-2008, 05:01 PM
No need to blush Bret.
As I said, this is a wonderful painting.
~~Kathleen

sveldstra
09-11-2008, 05:57 PM
one word 'sweet'

noodle1
09-12-2008, 09:45 AM
Bret - The weird thing I notice is how few people comment on the art when they come to my place. I get ahuh, think I prefer silence..:lol: This is absolutely "KICK A__" ! A New Yorker's supperlative!:D

Everybody seems to be working hard and producing "great" things, I'm meandering at the moment, can't seem to get out of 1st gear. But that's okay am enjoying the energy here.

Elaine

Katwyld
09-12-2008, 11:08 AM
I'm a little blown away with the stuff in this thread this week! Wow!

Elaine, don't worry about the meandering... soak in the energy and that inspiration will hit you... or you could always just do little 'quick paintings'... ya know, pick something on your desk or in your house and do a painting of it. Sometimes just the act of painting gets you in the mood. (your piece from earlier is gorgeous, by the way.. and remember, art is art, it doesn't matter how its created. :))

Bret, it's gorgeous, just gorgeous... gonna show the hubby... he likes Indians.

sveldstra, looking good so far... ya picked one of my favorite cats, too!

Susan, the waves are gorgeous, but there's something about the sky... I think it is the color, but I'm not sure what direction to point you in, I guess... Those waves, though... amazing... (and I didn't notice the birds either, until you mentioned them... :o )

Kathy, LILACS! Oooooh, I want! heh I think it looks quite lovely...

Kim, agreed on the shadows, but I like it.. the gloss on the texture around his collar bothers me, but I'm guessing that's just light as opposed to actual paint, huh? Looks good... I love the colors...

Mette, the kitties are adorable... and the swans and those reflections... excellent!

Andy, that's just wonderful... and I know what you mean about windows... They can be such a pain!

Kathleen, it looks amazing! The shading in the petals is just wonderfully done... More pics, please! :D

Kathy (again) Oooooh... I second Kathleens request for teaching... I like that mandala very much... Those colors are so pleasing...

sveldstra (again) What I can see if your barn I like.. unfortunately the computer here is giving me fits on seeing the thumbnail, so I'll look again when I get home... I love building paintings, and it looks like you've done this one justice.

Ok... I've got an update... don't even remember what picture I last put up here, but I know I've gotten quite a ways since....

http://www.curtumevexas.com/images/ArtPieces/TheFishingTrip/InProgress/TheFishermen091108_500.jpg (http://www.curtumevexas.com/images/ArtPieces/TheFishingTrip/InProgress/TheFishermen091108_800.jpg)

And, as usual, click on the picture for a larger version.

phobden
09-12-2008, 12:53 PM
Hi all,
I started a little series of windows on small canvases 25 x 30 cm here are three of them.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Sep-2008/100883-Window2Carouge_1.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Sep-2008/100883-Window1Carouge_1.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Sep-2008/100883-Window3Provence_1.jpg

Mette Rörström
09-12-2008, 01:04 PM
Katwyld...your painting is wonderful!
and thank you!

noodle1
09-12-2008, 02:43 PM
Katlee - All I can say is ahhhhhhhhhhhhh. Reflection in the water mind boggling. You made me try a landscape and now I think I'm in love, big hugs for that one, you're so impressive! Thank you for the advice! Shall apply liberally.

OOps hit the button too quickly Peter These look very interesting, great subject matter, can't wait to see!

Elaine

AMuse
09-12-2008, 02:48 PM
Kat! I love this painting - truly! I can hardly wait to see it done! (and thank you so much for your comments) :)

Peter.. as always I love seeing your paintings evolve.

susme48
09-12-2008, 02:55 PM
Nice Kat....still loving those trees!

sveldstra
09-12-2008, 03:05 PM
This cat is having back end issues. Hopefully once I get some of the other colours in it won't need a major overhaul.
Kat- that is one beautiful reflecting pool
Peter- had to check out your site to try to get some idea where you were going with these windows. I'm looking forward to seeing them develope. I particularly like the middle one with the wrought iron lamp hanger.
Bret- you don't like the fence?
I checked out your site too, I was expecting more bikes. The whiskey bottles are nice but if that's what you've got across from the bar then people probably think they are just there for ambiance. I would really like to see what else you do.:cat:

noodle1
09-12-2008, 03:48 PM
sveldstra - This is fantastic already, you can feel him. Love large cats, don't paint them but think they're incredible, you've got him pegged. Can't personally see the "back end issues" but, sure you'll get it to your liking.
Really looking forward to watching it progress.

Elaine

OkeeKat
09-12-2008, 04:38 PM
WOW amazing paintings here!!
Love the background so far Bret, its Superb for sure..love watching this come to life.. I'm amazed at the texture you have on it..and how you manage to color over the texture!!

Sharon, this is Gorgeous. I cant see the fence Brets talking about but its coming along sooooo well!! its gona be a fabulous painting when done!!

Great windows Peter I can tell already!!
Kat, those trees are wonderful!! I realy like this one!!

I finished Flicka, I think, posted it in the WIP thread!! Thanks for helping me all!!

objectivistartist
09-12-2008, 05:21 PM
for sure, the reflective water is astonishing - so Parrish-like... [tho he'd have had more blue showing... :eek:] indeed, is so still, one almost expects some bird or canoeist to be coming around the bend, perhaps an egret or wood duck about to land...

Foxyheart2002
09-12-2008, 06:23 PM
I have 2 on the easel right now. The other one will not upload. I seem to get only 1 successful upload out of 4 attempts to get pics to stick on the forums anymore.

Anyway, this is the start of my Lipizzaner Stallions Pas de Trois. Very rudimentary right now.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Sep-2008/22615-3lipswipbsm.jpg

The other is a sharpei commission. Maybe someday the uploader will let you see it. *sigh*

OkeeKat
09-12-2008, 07:30 PM
WOW Sue, this is fabulous so far!! Lovethe background, their faces are awesome!! Gona be gorgeous when done!!

Katwyld
09-12-2008, 07:40 PM
*blush* Thanks all, I really appreciate the wonderful comments. The water will have some ripples in it, but I want to make sure all the reflected elements are there before I put them in so I can have continuity through them all.

Peter, those are looking good. I've always loved when you do windows... I also can't wait to see how you do the roof on the last one... I've always loved that kind of roofing!

Elaine, landscapes are a lot of fun for me, I'm glad you like them too. :)

sveldstra, I'm not seeing the back end issues, either, but it's sometimes hard to see it in a photo... She's coming along nicely, though.. Can't wait to see her progress...

Sue, I've never liked the uploader myself... it rarely works for me. heh I love those horses so far, though... Nice work!

Mette Rörström
09-12-2008, 08:22 PM
sue...looking forward to se your painting finnish.it is a great painting!

noodle1
09-12-2008, 10:19 PM
Sue, didn't connect at first but I knew I knew your hand, I went to your site an recognized a couple of pieces I drooled over!
Amazing work and this will be spectacular as well. Your rudiments would be my completed work. Excellent!

Elaine

susme48
09-12-2008, 11:01 PM
Sharon the cat is going good!

Sue....wow!

Peter...love watching these!

What I started is not going well....may just start over! Who knows?

Foxyheart2002
09-13-2008, 04:05 AM
So, who do we complain to about the uploader and file attacher? I have tried and tried to upload pics, even as attachments, and cannot do it. Frustrated here. Any ideas?

howyadoin
09-13-2008, 05:20 AM
A small update on the Indian - spent most of today workin' on the seat. This is my third stab at painting it:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3247/2852121139_6ae37930f0_o.jpg

Always good to know I've still got lots to learn.

howyadoin
09-13-2008, 05:22 AM
So, who do we complain to about the uploader and file attacher? I have tried and tried to upload pics, even as attachments, and cannot do it. Frustrated here. Any ideas?I'd advise you to get a Photobucket or Flickr account and link the images from there. This also gives you the option of deleting the images if you wish, even after you can't edit a post anymore.

noodle1
09-13-2008, 09:32 AM
Sue - In the beginning I had a tough time too. I still can't load a banner on the bottom tho I read and re-read the specs. I don't know what the problem may be but
I have a Mac so different helps there. Wonder if anyone in the "computer' sections could help you out, technical etc., Aggravating I know wish I had more to offer.

Bret- I don't know, is it the viewing angle maybe or the initial shape? But I'm not standing back and looking at it so you'd know better. Plus I'm only good with a reference, not too informed about motorcyles, so I should probably shut up.. Like how you painted it tho.

Elaine

AMuse
09-13-2008, 10:13 AM
I agree with Bret - using flickr or photobucket works fine too. :)

Bret I'm not sure about the seat... it kinda looks like the angle is a little wrong, like it's turned slightly away from the viewer but the rest of the bike is in profile... (do you know what I mean?) can you give a wider view?

OkeeKat
09-13-2008, 10:58 AM
Agree with Kathy about the Seat Bret.. I like the colors but not sure about the angle in this closeup though maybe its better when you see the whole canvas. I kinda think from this angle that the left part of the seat is a curled up a little high, unless thats the way this seat realy looks. not sure without ref to realy say.
I went back to look at the previous full size photo you posted and it looks good on the sketch so maybe its just not seeing it in the whole to get better picture.

sveldstra
09-13-2008, 02:14 PM
I reworked some of the colour areas last night and this morning, so I'm feeling a little better about the cat today. Bigger really is better. It's too bad big paintings don't sell as easily as small ones do, or I'd paint this size all the time.
Bret- I've got to agree something angle-wise doesn't look quite right with the seat, but the colours with the blue highlight look terrific. Wish I could see the reference to be more help.
Sue- those horses are beautiful. I checked out the mural, it's fantastic. My sister lives about ten minutes from Spruce Meadows. When ever the budget allows for another trip out to visit I hope I can go see it in person.

noodle1
09-13-2008, 02:59 PM
sveldstra What can you say this is fabulous, so impressed, what realism, I'll bet it's even more majestic in person, the depth of that cat wow.
Would love to be standing in front of it to really delight in the view.

Elaine

noodle1
09-13-2008, 03:13 PM
Well I know what's suppose to be on my easel but this is what is there, so excited about all the new adventures into this type of painting.
This was a school, called Salesian (kind of a pre-seminary for boys), it's been shut down and they're working on making it a park. The tower is an old wooden bell tower, it's leaning a bit which will probably show up more as it's painted.
Couldn't get too close because they've blocked off some areas where they're tearing down buildings, this off to side of old parking lot that led into the school itself. Beautiful grounds, took lots of pixs til I got chased out..:lol:

Here's my start, thought it looked rather interesting the way it is but :lol:

Elaine

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Sep-2008/139027-Salesian_grounds_start.jpg_2

Mette Rörström
09-13-2008, 03:36 PM
Sveldstra...It looks great! I love to watch the progress.
Elaine...cant wait to see this one finnish.

Here is what`s on my easel today...
"flower seller",it`s for the WDE...
20 x 25 cm.
On canvas.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Sep-2008/130835-Flower_seller..jpg

OkeeKat
09-13-2008, 04:59 PM
Looking great Sharon!!
Elaine, that sky is fabulous!! can only imagine how the rest will be like!!
Great flower seller Mette!! love it.

howyadoin
09-13-2008, 05:13 PM
Thanks again, everybody. You're a great resource. Currently making a few tweaks to the seat; I really should've planned it out more carefully before I started painting it.

As for reference, there's not really much I can show. I basically designed a smaller version of a seat I'd seen in a book, then modified a bit more as I was drawing the Indian. Once I got the idea to do it in light-brown leather, it all came together. (Most of the Indians I researched had black seats.)

howyadoin
09-13-2008, 05:15 PM
I reworked some of the colour areas last night and this morning, so I'm feeling a little better about the cat today. Bigger really is better. It's too bad big paintings don't sell as easily as small ones do, or I'd paint this size all the time.This is lookin' great. And I'm totally in agreement about bigger being better.

Mette Rörström
09-13-2008, 05:44 PM
Kathie...Thank you!

noodle1
09-13-2008, 05:56 PM
Thank you Mette and Kathie, ! Hope I didn't bite off more then I can chew..LOL

Mette Oh I like him, nice job! He reminds me of those at the Flower Market in NYC, I always wondered if they ever stopped to smell the flowers. Colors great too.

Bret I did some looking and I found one that kind of reminded me ofyours, you probably don't need it now but if you want to take a look it's here
http://www.internationalclassicmotorbikerestorations.com/images/indian_chief_1947_1.JPG

Elaine

howyadoin
09-13-2008, 07:09 PM
Bret I did some looking and I found one that kind of reminded me ofyours, you probably don't need it now but if you want to take a look it's here
http://www.internationalclassicmotorbikerestorations.com/images/indian_chief_1947_1.JPGThanks. The more pictures of these I see, the more I'm convinced that mass production in the 1940s was a much different beast than it is now. So much variation in details and trim, it's not funny.

And the original seat I used for reference was smaller than that one, but with higher sides to wrap around the butt more. I moved it lower, and closer to the back of the bike.

OkeeKat
09-13-2008, 08:37 PM
Great Link Elaine, Understand now the shape of the seat.. so Brets isn't far off.. Looking forward to seeing it again soon !!

Foxyheart2002
09-13-2008, 08:52 PM
Sharon, the mural is gone from Spruce Meadows, it was there only for the Masters and will be on its way to Columbus Ohio in October. It will finally rest in Edmonton, I think.

If anyone wants to see the 2 wips I have, since I cannot upload anything since the Lipizanners the other day, please go to my WIP page and you will see them there. I am working on the stallions as well as a commission of a Sharpei.

http://www.sues-art.com/wip.html sorry. :(

OkeeKat
09-13-2008, 10:37 PM
Just gorgeous WIP Sue!! I did see this on the A&W forum.. The horses are so beautiful, love the background.. the Sharpai is precious.. looks great!!:clap:

Raymo
09-14-2008, 12:05 AM
Elaine

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Sep-2008/139027-Salesian_grounds_start.jpg_2

It's really interesting how youre doing this. I would have put in the sky and then sketched in the trees. Are you masking your trees or just painting around them ? You do very good work.

Foxyheart2002
09-14-2008, 12:16 AM
Thanks, Kathie! My sharpei is at a point where I am almost afraid to touch it. But it's definitely only half done and shows it. I just know I will screw it up royally, then have to fix it but it will turn out OK in the end. (*fingers crossed*)

susme48
09-14-2008, 01:19 AM
Move this to the new week...:o