PDA

View Full Version : Acrylics Classroom - PHASE 2

edtree
09-07-2008, 12:45 PM
:wave:Thanks to all for voting and sharing your thoughts and interests in the last thread. Here is a link in case anyone missed it: Acrylics Classroom - Are you interested. (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=516632)

Please scroll down for a list of your requests for classroom subjects so far. Some of the topics may be combined with others in the end. Kathleen, your input turned on a light bulb (Thank you!!!:D); I gave your idea a lot of thought and would like to propose the following for more input:

For a one-year plan, 26 subjects would be chosen - two subjects each month. The first session on the 1st of the month, the second on the 15th. For example, on the first of the month, a class on Clouds might be offered. On the 15th of the month, a class on Metals.

During the first week of the session, members would be asked to share their techniques and methods for the chosen subject. This would/could be in the form of videos, WIPS or photos with descriptions, articles, etc. Any and all member(s) would be welcome to share their techniques - no "formal" or traditional teachers.

The remaining time for that particular subject (session) would be for members to try the various techniques presented by their peers, post their results, and for discussion.

The idea is in the "rough draft" stage, but I like the concept of member-to-member tutorials and from the feedback from the other thread, I think many of you do to.

Please post your thoughts and ideas here on phase two.

The list is sorted in the order of most requested, then alphabetically. If you would like to add more subjects, please do so in the original thread (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=516632). Thanks again everyone!
Mediums - gels - pumices-molding paste
Glazing
Portraits
Blending
Brush strokes
Clouds
Color usage
Composition
Creating depth
Fabric folds
Golden OPENs
Leaves
Shadows - light play
Textures
Using Acrylics like oils
Water - waves - reflections
Abstracts
Acrylic basics
Animals
Artistic perspective
Creating mood
Figures
Flowers
Fog
Knife work
Landscapes
Mixing colors
Painting from life
Scale
Shine - metals
Trees

deadsam
09-07-2008, 12:55 PM
Thats a whole wack of topics there :O

edtree
09-07-2008, 01:02 PM
Hi Sam! It seems like it, but there are only 31 subjects on the list. For a 26-session plan, not too many would have to be combined. We'll see how everything falls into place though once all the input is in and the final results tallied. :)

Elizabeth

jocelynsart
09-07-2008, 01:17 PM
I am prepared to do one on Portraits. However, in that, I'd most likely be touching on things like surface prep, colour mixing/palette, blending, brush strokes, depth, shadows, edges, bg, while doing my portrait tutorial. However, they'd be touched upon pertaining to how I specifically tackle portraits in acrylic so could in themselves, as general topics, still be done separately as well, in another tutorial.
I can do mine in Nov 08 or May, June, July or Aug. 09. You can let me know in advance, when you might want it, from those avail months :-)
Thanks; Joss

deadsam
09-07-2008, 01:46 PM
I would do another class if you wanted it but I have to wait until I get out there and get back online again.
After that no problem, but it would be nice to see other artist in here take on that challenge also, the more the merrier because everyone has something to teach whether they know it or not.
We can all learn from each other :)

Charlie's Mum
09-07-2008, 01:52 PM
Thanks Joss! :D

Sam - you know I wouldn't let you go into hiding!!!! - you'll be pounced on as soon as you move ;) ;)

Elizabeth - you know I'll help out in many of these areas, either formally or informally. :D

RPut
09-07-2008, 03:56 PM
Wow! What a great set up. I'm so impressed. Hosting seems a bit less intimidating and sharing each others ideas for a technique is going to be a very valuable teaching tood! I can't wait! Thanks so much Elizabeth for doing this and getting is set up for us. Ruthie

~~Kathleen
09-07-2008, 04:05 PM
Cross post from the original thread......
Hello Elizabeth and everyone.
Maybe you could integrate a "How did you do that" section to this thread, where we could ask another poster, How did you get the leaves on those trees so lifelike/that glazed vase so realistic etc/the fur on that dog so precise.
Often it is one part of a painting that appeals to each and everyone of us.
That way, a "Whole" painting would not be as important as is the technique of one part.
While most of us feel that we are not expert enough to teach a whole painting, we are, each and everyone of us, able to paint one type of thing that would greatly help others.
Kind of a lot of little ideas make one complete!
I hope I am making sense here.
~~Kathleen

edtree
09-07-2008, 05:23 PM
:wave: That's wonderful Joss! Thank you! You have so many wonderful things listed and portraits was one of the most voted for topics.

:wave: Hi again Sam and thank you too for being willing to host. If this goes as described above, everyone who choses to do so would share their methods for any of the topics. As Maureen described, in the other thread, the host would be there to start the thread, promote participation, etc, but would be only one of (hopefully) many demonstrating their methods and techniques.

Using this type of set-up too, a host would not really even have to demonstrate if he or she would rather just host.

:wave: Hi Ruthie! Thank you so much for the thumbs up on this. I know I didn't explain it well but I'm glad you like the concept!

:wave: Hi Kathleen! I like this idea too and think it could very well be a part of the sessions. When the guidelines are written, this can be strongly encouraged. I think any one of us would be honored to be asked to share a method or technique! Great input! (again!)

The possibilities and ideas are jumping all over the place. I'm excited about this and hope participation, especially on the part of the contributors, is high!

Thanks again for all your help and enthusiasm Everyone! :clap:

Elizabeth

edtree
09-07-2008, 05:29 PM
While I'm thinking about it too, I'm thinking we would set up the order of classes for some of these topics to build on the one before. For instance: A session on clouds/skies, then one on trees and foliage, then one on rocks and mountains, followed lastly by landscapes.

Another group of sessions could be set up to concentrate on different techniques. Molding pasts and textures, mediums and gels, before and after painting processes, etc.

Is this kind of what you meant, Kathleen?

susme48
09-07-2008, 05:38 PM
Kathleen, that makes sense to me...hope it does Elizabeth also! This sounds so great to me!! I have to admit, I don't see what I can tell anyone, that they don't already know. I am excited!

~~Kathleen
09-07-2008, 05:39 PM
Is this kind of what you meant, Kathleen?
Yes, this way the project is not too intimidating for the instructor and different methods as well as painting styles can be addressed.
Example: I would love to see a WIP by Gayle...her style is so unique that it sticks in my mind many hours after I see one of her paintings. As Gayle has said, she does not have the time right now, so please do not think this is a form of Pressure Gayle. It is JUST an example of what I am thinking about.
~~Kathleen

sonita
09-07-2008, 06:45 PM
Great ideas coming in...I am getting very excited here lol :)
Thank you Elizabeth for taking the time to figure everything out...I'm sure this will be a great hit...lot's of fun for everybody and lots to learn in just a year. AWESOME :)
Soni

Margaret 59
09-07-2008, 07:51 PM
These are all interesting ideas and very good for people like me(I'm sure there are more than a few) who see things they like in a painting, find out how to do it and then forget.
Thanks to Elizabeth and all who have offered help.
If I can think of anything worthwhile to add to the threads, you'll definitely hear about it. :wave:

lilbelle
09-07-2008, 08:09 PM
Elizabeth, what a great idea to set it up like this! Oh, there is so much we can learn from each other, I'm really looking forward to seeing this develope.

AMuse
09-07-2008, 09:20 PM
Hi Elizabeth - Kathleen asked if I would share how I get some of my abstract backgrounds in the What's On Your Easel thread. I would be happy to show the steps for a few of my processes when we get to the abstract sessions.

edtree
09-07-2008, 10:19 PM
:wave: Hi Susan! Thanks so much for the positive feedback! I'm glad to know you like this idea and are on-board! I think you and many of the members will be surprised at how much you have to share once this gets going. :D

:wave: Hi Kathleen! I'll bet Gayle and anyone else asked to do a WIP or demo would be very honored. I think requests here, or when the official list/host sign up thread goes up would be great! We'll try and get the list up in plenty of time so that anyone who wants to request or put together materials will have time to do so.

:wave: Hi Soni! Thanks for adding your support. I hope it turns out as well in reality as it is in my mind :lol: ! If it goes well, I suppose it could run longer than a year. That's another wait and see kind of thing though.

:wave: Hi Margaret! I'll bet there will be lots of subjects you will be wanting to contribute to - I hope so anyway! Thank you for posting your thoughts and support!

:wave: Hi Lillian! It sounds like fun learning, doesn't it?! There are so many talented artists here so it should be win-win for all. Thanks for adding your thoughts!

:wave: That's wonderful news, Kathy! I know we had at least one other request for Abstract; I have a feeling it will be a very popular subject! Can't wait to see your process during the abstract session, and thank you so much for offering in advance!

Elizabeth

Charlie's Mum
09-09-2008, 01:18 PM
Bump!

sveldstra
09-09-2008, 08:45 PM
Hi Elizabeth, I think Kathleen might have been trying to recruit me too from the what's on your easel thread. Particularly she was interested in what technique I used to do barn boards. I don't think it's enough to constitute a class, but I'd be more than happy to do a brief demo on how I do them. (I do pretty good rocks too.) Sharon
If you are interested in seeing the barn I'm posting it in the acrylics form too.
Good luck setting up the classes, I'm looking forward to checking them out.
www.freewebs.com/veldstrasart

Mixael
09-10-2008, 05:13 AM
I think the methods proposed are very good. While there is one or two that I'm not really interested in, I would still participate in them.

I also like the building on previous sessions (sky-tree-rocks then landscape I believe is what was mentioned).

There is one question about the list of class subjects that I need to ask. On the list was Golden OPENs. I have only three that were sent to me by Golden as a sample of the opens. In order to participate in an OPENs class, would that require (strong word, but the only one I could think of at 3:15am) purchasing some OPENs? Or just skip that class? (I did that alot in highschool, and think I can remember how :D)

Over all, I like what has been done thus far, and look forward to the first class!

Michael

edtree
09-10-2008, 07:12 AM
Hi Elizabeth, I think Kathleen might have been trying to recruit me too from the what's on your easel thread. Particularly she was interested in what technique I used to do barn boards. I don't think it's enough to constitute a class, but I'd be more than happy to do a brief demo on how I do them. (I do pretty good rocks too.) Sharon
If you are interested in seeing the barn I'm posting it in the acrylics form too.
Good luck setting up the classes, I'm looking forward to checking them out.
www.freewebs.com/veldstrasart (http://www.freewebs.com/veldstrasart) :wave:Hi Sveldstra! Barn boards might fit within a class on support alternatives (or something like that) where barn boards would be one of the supports presented. It sounds like it would be a GREAT demo! Please look for another thread soon that will describe the member-to-member class in more detail and a place to officially sign up. Thanks for inquiring, and to Kathleen for recruiting! :D

Elizabeth

edtree
09-10-2008, 07:25 AM
I think the methods proposed are very good. While there is one or two that I'm not really interested in, I would still participate in them.

I also like the building on previous sessions (sky-tree-rocks then landscape I believe is what was mentioned).

There is one question about the list of class subjects that I need to ask. On the list was Golden OPENs. I have only three that were sent to me by Golden as a sample of the opens. In order to participate in an OPENs class, would that require (strong word, but the only one I could think of at 3:15am) purchasing some OPENs? Or just skip that class? (I did that alot in highschool, and think I can remember how :D)

Over all, I like what has been done thus far, and look forward to the first class!

Michael :wave:Hi Michael! Since the classes will be part demo, part discussion, part sharing your work, you may perhaps only want to participate in the discussion in some of them, or skip a class or two that doesn't pertain or interest you. The classes will be filed and available in the Kiosk after they are over, so there's always the option of going back and viewing later. Since the structure will not be set up "Teacher with Pupils" but instead, members sharing with other members, there would not be required materials. I hope that explanation helps. The next thread with the guidelines and sign up will be coming soon (within the next week or two)! I'm glad you're looking forward to this - I am too! Thanks for your thoughts and questions! :D

Elizabeth

TxAggieDarlin
09-10-2008, 10:21 AM
Sitting in the classroom waiting for it to begin. I don't care what it is on, I will be there LOL

couturej
09-10-2008, 10:36 AM
I'm looking forward to the classes and I hope I have the time to participate in all of them. I think it's a fantastic idea and would be willing to try anything to improve my art. Thank you Elizabeth for getting this started! :)

PattiLou
09-10-2008, 11:14 AM
Great idea, and thanks in advance to everyone who participates.

:clap: Sitting next to TxAggieDarlin, drumming my fingers on the easel and waiting. :wave: Looking forward to learning anything, LOL.

Cynps23
09-10-2008, 02:44 PM
Awesome, I in. I need more help in acrylics and would love to join.
Cyn:clap: :thumbsup:

AMuse
09-10-2008, 02:53 PM
I'm very excited about this.

I think we are going to have a lot of fun!

Alison2
09-10-2008, 06:10 PM
Sounds as though this is all gathering momentum Elizabeth, thank you!

As I said in the other thread, am happy to host a thread and learn along with everyone else - sharing is a great way to learn!

Thanks so much,

Alison:wave:

Mixael
09-10-2008, 10:55 PM
I will add one thing. Since my last question was answered perfectly, I will make a commitment now to be at every class. I may not participate in the actual subject (Opens comes to mind), but I WILL be there to discuss and offer encouragement. And I will give honest C&C, if someone desires it.

May all who have expressed interest have the patience to wait until the first day of class.:D

Michael

Katwyld
09-12-2008, 11:13 AM
OOooh, I love this idea! I miss the good stuff when I'm busy. hehehe

jocelynsart
09-12-2008, 12:46 PM
Just a note: I have begun to prepare the portrait tutorial so I have it ready to go. I have the canvas toned and drew her on this past weekend. It'll be a small portrait of my daughter, 2/3 facial view, head and shoulders. However, no teeth. Teeth tend to not be present in most traditional portraits but I realize some need to address them for clients, when working from client reference, or when doing their own projects for themselves too. I can do a little add on of a mouth with teeth if needs be too, if there is a demand, showing how I handle teeth in an acrylic portrait .
Most likely, my best time frame for doing my portrait tutorial would be after Christmas or into April May June area. I normally run the portrait swap here now on WC, in Nov, as well as possibly having a couple commissions in before Xmas too so would be a bit swamped then.
Thanks; Jocelyn

edtree
09-12-2008, 06:18 PM
Sitting in the classroom waiting for it to begin. I don't care what it is on, I will be there LOL:wave:Hi Aggie! I'm so glad you're "in!" I'm looking forward to seeing you in the front row!:lol:

Elizabeth

edtree
09-12-2008, 06:22 PM
I'm looking forward to the classes and I hope I have the time to participate in all of them. I think it's a fantastic idea and would be willing to try anything to improve my art. Thank you Elizabeth for getting this started! :)Hi Janet! Thanks for the thumbs up on this. We would be thrilled to have you participate in whatever fashion, whether it be host or pupil. :D

Elizabeth

edtree
09-12-2008, 06:26 PM
Great idea, and thanks in advance to everyone who participates.

Sitting next to TxAggieDarlin, drumming my fingers on the easel and waiting. Looking forward to learning anything, LOL.

Elizabeth

edtree
09-12-2008, 06:41 PM
Awesome, I in. I need more help in acrylics and would love to join.
Cyn :wave: Hi Cyn, and welcome! Nice to meet you. It will be great to have you with us as we launch the new classroom feature. See you there! :D

I'm very excited about this.

I think we are going to have a lot of fun!

Sounds as though this is all gathering momentum Elizabeth, thank you!

As I said in the other thread, am happy to host a thread and learn along with everyone else - sharing is a great way to learn!

Thanks so much,

Alison:wave: Hi Alison! So happy that you are already planning on signing up to host. Thank you! :D

I will add one thing. Since my last question was answered perfectly, I will make a commitment now to be at every class. I may not participate in the actual subject (Opens comes to mind), but I WILL be there to discuss and offer encouragement. And I will give honest C&C, if someone desires it.

May all who have expressed interest have the patience to wait until the first day of class.

Michael

Michael :wave: Hi Michael! Thank you for your commitment, enthusiasm and support of the upcoming classroom feature. I'm hoping that even more momentum builds once things start rolling along. It shouldn't be too long now. Thanks again! :D

OOooh, I love this idea! I miss the good stuff when I'm busy. hehehe
C&C is always welcome. Katlee Shank Art ::><:: Kat's Deviant Art::><:: Kat's ImageKind:wave: Hi Kat! I'm glad you signed in to add your support for this project! It will be wonderful to see you in the classes whether it be behind the podium or desk. See you there if not before! :D

Elizabeth

edtree
09-12-2008, 06:47 PM
Just a note: I have begun to prepare the portrait tutorial so I have it ready to go. I have the canvas toned and drew her on this past weekend. It'll be a small portrait of my daughter, 2/3 facial view, head and shoulders. However, no teeth. Teeth tend to not be present in most traditional portraits but I realize some need to address them for clients, when working from client reference, or when doing their own projects for themselves too. I can do a little add on of a mouth with teeth if needs be too, if there is a demand, showing how I handle teeth in an acrylic portrait .
Most likely, my best time frame for doing my portrait tutorial would be after Christmas or into April May June area. I normally run the portrait swap here now on WC, in Nov, as well as possibly having a couple commissions in before Xmas too so would be a bit swamped then.
Thanks; Jocelyn:wave:Hi Jocelyn! I'm thrilled to hear you've already started working on a portrait demo for us! An additional mini tuitiorial on teeth would be an excellent bonus. That IS one of the most difficult parts of a portrait to paint. I am copying down your schedule so that it will be present during the construction of the scheduling. Thank you again, so much!!!!! :D

Elizabeth

jocelynsart
09-12-2008, 10:05 PM
Ok, you are welcome :-)
Jocelyn

Rusla
09-12-2008, 10:18 PM
This all looks good to me. I'm going to love this.
Thanks for coming up with this.

Randi-Lee

edtree
10-05-2008, 12:50 PM
:wave: Okay Gang, the classroom feature is now set and ready to launch on November 1! You will find the guidelines here (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=522452) and the host sign-up here (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=522453). Thank you to all who submitted ideas for the classroom, offered input for the set-up, and signed on to host already.

* Remember, everyone is encouraged to offer their own demos, videos, WIPs or examples for any of the classes, so even if you're not hosting, we want to see your methods. Please take a few minutes to look through the schedule (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=522453) and if there is an upcoming class for which you think you have something to share, take photos etc and save them for us for that particular class.

Example: If you are painting a portrait, take lots of pictures or shoot a video of your process to share during the Portrait Class.

I'm very excited to see the classrooms starting up again and looking forward to learning from all of you! :clap:

Elizabeth

susme48
10-05-2008, 04:13 PM
I am so excited!!

Charlie's Mum
10-05-2008, 05:28 PM
Good susan!

I do hope members will offer to host so that the onus is not heavily laid on a few!
It doesn't matter if a member knows very little about a topic, just that they will keep an eye on the thread and invite others to share ideas.
The preparation doesn't need to be very great - an introduction, a suggestion of how the host manages to do that particular method/rechnique etc ......... and it's only 2 weeks at a time :D

PattiLou
10-05-2008, 08:38 PM
Save me a seat Susan... this first one sounds very interesting. :thumbsup:

Now, where's my calendar so I can mark it. :lol:

changingpaths
10-05-2008, 09:21 PM
Elizabeth, this sounds great. I'll try to be there as a student. Don't know enough to be a teacher...but this is very exciting.

Sheary
10-06-2008, 12:16 AM
Hello Elizabeth
I would like to join in on the class and offer an "alternative" technique along with the abstract section. And that is using other materials on the painting surface. I can send you a lesson plan if you would like.

edtree
10-06-2008, 05:25 PM
:wave: Hi Sheary!

How wonderful that you've got some alternative techniques to share for the abstract class! No need to submit anything - the classrooms are going to be very informal - more sharing than teaching. I'm looking forward to seeing what you have in store for us! :thumbsup: :D

Elizabeth

edtree
10-06-2008, 05:44 PM
:wave: Hi Susan!
:wave: Hi Patti!
:wave: Hi Cyndi!

I'm excited too! I'm happy to see so many members looking forward to the classrooms! :D

I just want to reiterate what Maureen said: Hosts for the classroom by no means have to be teachers or experts, just folks willing to open the thread and get things started. For those who have never hosted anything before, believe me, it is a LOT of fun! Remember too, you will not be alone; we're here to help before and during. Here are the spots still in need of hosts:

Dec 15-31…AVAILABLE
Jan1-14…AVAILABLE
Apr 15-30…AVAILABLE
June 1-14...AVAILABLE
June 15-30...AVAILABLE

Just go here (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7212789#post7212789) to pick a subject and sign up!:D

Elizabeth

Sheary
10-06-2008, 06:48 PM
OK, Elizabeth, sign me up for April 15 - 30 "other substances to create texture and dimension".
Not only substances added to paint, but materials to adhere to the surface. One of the interesting materials is foam core, carved and painted, cloth, and 'stuff'.

edtree
10-06-2008, 07:00 PM
:wave: YaY! Sounds very interestings. Thanks so much Sheray! I'll put you down for that class and date! :clap:

Elizabeth

ThunderKrow
08-07-2009, 05:00 PM
My question is, I'm just now stumbling (& I do mean stumbling!) into this thread & it sounds wonderful, but I notice all the dates are 2008. It is now August 2009. Have these classes already happened & if they have, how do I find them?? I seem to be having trouble navigating this website with the "search for" tool. I'm trying to find classes & projects using various acrylic & mixed media & not coming up with much.

Charlie's Mum
08-07-2009, 05:50 PM
Hi Betty - welcome to the forum!
Yes, all the clases have run and the threads have largely become inactive.
the content is still good though and someone will always pop in if they see a 'resurrection'!

All our classroom threads are archived in the Information Kiosk - a sub forum here ... there's a link in my signature.

On the main forum page, all the sub forums are listed first - some are Partner forums but this forum of ours has the Information Kiosk and the Hall of Fame - check them out and see what you think!

Current Forum projects are always 'stuck' at the top of the page, prior to all the other threads.

You can quickly navigate the site by using the Forum Jump at the bottom of each page - this lists all the forums and is a good guide to what's available on the whole site.

Most forums have a stuck thread telling you about the forum and it's 'rules' but also what you can find where. :D

The search engine is, unfortunately, not particularly helpful but each forum has Moderators and Guides (Mods are green and Guides are blue and a private message to one should get you a reply and some help!

Why not try joining our Different Strokes project this month? there's a different host and subject each month and you have until 20th of the month to paint (actually, the whole month but none is revealed until 20th).

If there's a particular class you'd like to join or work from, the host, if available may well be prepared to help - so will most of the other participants in that class!

Hope this helps!:)