GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Portrait
Year Created:
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 14 x 11
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Finished this for closure, struggled w/flash photo.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
All C&C welcome so I can do better next time, putting this one away.

aspybey
09-06-2008, 09:07 PM
Very soft and I love her expression, it's absolutely beautiful! The highlights on her cheeks are wonderful, this has really progressed tremendously since I first saw your post of it!

PoptartArt
09-06-2008, 10:15 PM
Her neck looks a little wide but I absolutely love the wispy texture to the feather and her hair. So often you see things like that just broken up into large chunks.

She's missing a shadow under the brow so the eyes look sunken into the head instead of floating on top. However, the shading and color on her cheeks and nose is extremely well done and delicate. Great attention to detail!

doodledee
09-06-2008, 10:35 PM
Oh Amaneda Thank you, I kept plugging away to many to hard to finish canvases laying around here.

PoptartArt, Guess What? not only is there no shadow under her brow, she's missing an eyebrow!! I noticed it after I posted, I'll go back in and fix that.

Bizkit
09-07-2008, 12:02 AM
I think just looking at the painting it looks wonderful. I would like to see the reference photo just to see the likeness......

tali
09-07-2008, 05:16 AM
I've quietly watched your posts of this portrait. I had no advice to give, as you already knew the difficulties you were facing and the limitations of using a flash photo for a reference. You deserve MAJOR kudos for being able to solve an extremely difficult portrait. It is soft, and beautiful and Iím sure your client will be very happy. Super job! I can completely relate to your struggle and am so impressed with the beautiful results! I think you should leave it aloneóI see a very light brow, and I imagine by her facial structure and youth that her brow bone does not cast a shadow like that of an adult.

Mikey
09-07-2008, 07:00 AM
De, this painting is truly beautiful. The warmth and life you have captured here is what makes for a portrait the parents must treasure.

doodledee
09-07-2008, 11:47 AM
Bizkit, thank you for looking, I promised the parents I wouldn't post her photo, it seems to be a good likeness, I keep layering my painting over the photo in PS to make sure I haven't gone astray. I did thin the neck slightly after reading the post by PopartArt I checked again, and the neck was a bit thick - Popart Art has good eyes!

Tali, Thank you, I watch everything you post, especially your critiques, I've learned much from you.

Mikey, So glad you could stop in and thank you, You KNOW how well or poorly I've done, Thank you for all your help, I'm watching your post, love those little sprites.

Dana Design
09-07-2008, 12:16 PM
doodle, I posted elsewhere but just wanted to say again that this is really beautiful. After looking and looking, the only thing I see is that her neck DOES look a bit wide and the neck tendons a bit too strongly developed. Perhaps by bringing some lighter hair along the darker side of the tendon on the left side, it will fix that. However! If you want to do nothing more to it, then don't. The face says it all. A gorgeous little girlie.

doodledee
09-07-2008, 01:36 PM
Thanks again Dana, I've already thinned the neck a bit, good suggest adding a few wisp of hair, Thank You.

tgsloth
09-07-2008, 02:46 PM
Fantastic technique with oils. I thought it was pastel. You should give blending classes.

I echo the kudos of the others but come with one thought for improvement. I feel her eyes are a little squinty. OK, I'm from Texas and am used to squinty Cowboys but I think she's a bit young to take on that gaze. I suggest you could make the eyes a little wider starting from the bottom and also add some dark values around the eyes to set them better into the face. I'm thinking you were betrayed by a flash reference photo (Booooooooooo). The flat light of a flash will wash out the normal shadowing around the eye area.

doodledee
09-07-2008, 03:15 PM
tgsloth, Thank you for your critique. You thought it was pastel? I haven't been about to tame that one yet, although I love the realism pastel artist can get, I usually just make a big mess.

She was squinting in the photo, I'm not so good at changing things like that, she actually has a habit of squinting. I've learned my lesson about flash photos from this one. I'll see if I can dig out some other digi pics I have of her and compare the shadow in the photos.