PDA

View Full Version : Cost effective gesso?

JWT
09-06-2008, 05:04 PM
Im in need of some gesso. I considered pre-primed canvas but Ive gotten in the habit of gesso'n old fabric, sheets, etc and quite frankly I like the surface much better, very fine and smooth, just a pain to do and time consuming. So the product has to be flexible, as I just cut the finished painting from the stretcher and they go right in a standard glassed picture frame, fully cured of course.

Ive checked with blick, seems the brand(s) Im familliar with are out of stock and dont show a date when it will be back in stock.

Best of my knowledge there are no local sources.

I need an online store and product to consider, under $20 per gallon before shipping would be great, thanks

Willing to trade paintings for product. :D

deadsam
09-06-2008, 05:11 PM
there is quite a few in links here maybe cheap joes or any major art supplies have a online store as well. I would just make sure it is acrylic because the fabric over time might break down, at least acrylic's base might hold it togeather over time better.

deadsam
09-06-2008, 11:40 PM
Thought of another idea that just might work.
I used to do egg tempera and had to make my own gesso from rabbit skin glue and marble chalk, maybe use acrylic clear (if you can get it in bulk) and a big bag of marble chalk and mix it togeather, this would probably work. Never tried it with an acrylic base but it just might work.

Bizkit
09-07-2008, 12:46 AM
Not sure where you live but Im guessing there are absolutley no art supply stores near by........Have you ever tried just Flat white paint? Its cheap, I know alot of street artists that pretty much swear by it. Just a thought.

Einion
09-08-2008, 10:22 AM
Have you ever tried just Flat white paint? ...I know alot of street artists that pretty much swear by it.
That in itself is no recommendation :D

Einion

jocelynsart
09-08-2008, 10:43 AM
I wouldn't use house latex as it's not made to last more than a decade or so, unless you aren't worried about longetivity of your piece. I used it in school but only as a student.

JWT
09-08-2008, 05:49 PM
Anyone have a magic forumla for a flexible cost effecitve acrylic gesso, Id consider it?

Maybe I wasnt looking in the right place but seems even the cheap acrylic white, was more expensive than the gesso per gallon $15. Feel free to point me to acrylic white thats $15 a gallon, Id use it. Blick has some cheap white but its 22 for a gallon.

jocelynsart
09-08-2008, 06:06 PM
To be honest, I buy prestretched and gessoed canvas. For acrylic, these are fine, as opposed to a more fussy approach that surface prep tends to be for oils. 20 years ago, this was not reallly possible, predone canvas wasn't sold as far as I ever saw. I used to have to buy stretchers, raw canvas, gesso and do it myself, with great expense and not a great job at keeping it taut or square lol!
Unless doing a custom size or huge size, I have Not found any more cost effective way rather than buy my canvasses pre done and they are nicer than what I used before I could buy these.
I buy Gotrick canvas from Curry's in Canada, and have bought other brands from DeSerres and Warwicks (sp?) but these are Canadian only I think, and I realize the US artists can't order from Curry's anymore. There must be an art supplier who sells nice quality predone canvas in the US? I know the ones I can buy here, for instance a 16"x20", are under $30. I get 9"x12" ones for $6 to $8 often. Way cheaper than when I used to have to do them myself in the 80s and early 90s, which included buying Gesso too. Michael's sells Fredricks but I personally find them not great quality.
As well, but gesso in a large amoutn when it is on sale maybe? Also, check Golden or Liquitex. I believe, but may be recalling incorrectly, I believe there are products, mediums, that can extend your gesso quantity wise without disturbing it's quality or it's texture and covereage ability. Maybe check into that.
Someone may come along who knows the ingredience and the proper base paint you can use to mix your own gesso but sorry, I don't.

azgringo
09-08-2008, 06:15 PM
google Plaza Gesso. They have it for 18.95

awerth
09-09-2008, 12:04 AM
I need an online store and product to consider, under $20 per gallon before shipping would be great, thanks

I haven't tried this product, but you can check out Pearl Paint's gesso, which is currently on sale for $17.46/gallon:

http://www.pearlpaint.com/shop~ocID~9700~parentID~9700~categoryID~9730.htm

Personally, I like the Liquitex liquid gesso, but I've not seen it close to $20/gallon (Jerry's has it for around $33/gallon right now).