PDA

View Full Version : A Hand on the Sill

gaykir
09-06-2008, 04:36 PM
I'm pretty tired of this one by now! I think I am close to being done. I am in that "looking at it" stage but I thought I'd share this one to see what you guys think. I've been doing some portraits and commissions so haven't been in here a whole lot. Oh and we've had a rough spot here at home but things are starting to look up once again.

Gallery wrapped 16" X 20"

Let me know what you think.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Sep-2008/56079-181_A_Hand_on_the_Sill.jpg

Ok - I can see a lot that needs done. ARGHHHHH!
Oh Well.

deadsam
09-06-2008, 05:50 PM
lmao dont ya just hate that, thats one reason I try my best NOT to put my own paintings up on my walls because all I see is my flaws (which others hardly ever see) and it drives me bonkers lol.
Also when I get near the end of a pinting I just want it gone because I usually have ten more ideas waiting in the wings, usually if I feel I am rushing through one too quick just to finish it I put it away for a bit to get more patient with it later down the road.
This one looks finished to me, it is one nice painting :) I love how the blues in the background bring out the blues eyes as well.
Very well done

~~Kathleen
09-06-2008, 07:08 PM
San said....I love how the blues in the background bring out the blues eyes as well.
Very well done
I have to agree.
I am not sure what you see wrong here Gayle, but this looks wonderful to me!
~~Kathleen

Margaret 59
09-06-2008, 07:44 PM
Lovely painting, Gayle.
The only thing I see that might be off is that her wrist area looks a bit thick. Could just be me though.

NM Painter
09-06-2008, 07:47 PM
Gayle - I've had that ARGHHHH! experience myself when I've looked at my painting on the computer screen. I'm actually starting to use this effect to troubleshoot. there's something about seeing it in a different format that lets me see what I still need to do. Also, because I have Photoshop I can digitally try out fixes before doing anything to the painting.
Interesting and rather haunting portrait... please post the final.

gaykir
09-06-2008, 10:15 PM
Sam - Thanks much!

Kathleen - It just didn't feel finished to me! The strong light on her hair was missing somehow.

Margaret thanks so much for noticing the wrist. I think I fixed that now.

NM - Glad I'm not the only one with those moments!

I think I'm done now. I captured more of that strong hightlight that drew me in at the beginning. I also like the contrast on her dress better. I also did some tiny work on her lashes. We'll see what you think.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Sep-2008/56079-A_Hand_on_the_Sill_R7.jpg

deadsam
09-06-2008, 10:23 PM
amazing she looks right through you, kind of an eriee feeling :eek:
her gaze has a way of capturing your attention and hanging onto it with that is she mad, sad, happy or what? :eek:
I had one model years ago who I managed to get this across in a painting I did of her, very eriee feeling but it grabs you, you did alot better job of that on this painting then I even came close to on mine.
It's a hard thing to capture you did and an excellent job of it.
:thumbsup:

objectivistartist
09-06-2008, 10:49 PM
lol - a Chucky look... :eek::lol:

susme48
09-06-2008, 10:51 PM
Gayle, this is great!! Love the blues, and the hair...wow!! The only thing I see is her middle finger, it is kind of concave? Otherwishe she looks good to me....and I had to hunt to see the finger. Hmmm...now she is tanner and dressed in pink...you are quicker than I can read...:lol: IMO, I like her either way...tho' the second is more dramatic! Love the expression!! with the shadowing on her hand, now...not sure you need to mess with the finger. As usual, I am impressed!!

deadsam
09-06-2008, 10:54 PM
lol - a Chucky look... :eek::lol:
lmao no not at all but that one made me laugh out loud here at work lol.
More along the lines of mona lisa.
There is an expression where all emotions seem to be wrapped up in one expression that I love to see in paintings but it's a rare thing for a artist to capture. This one has it.
But thanks for that laugh I needed it tonight lol.

edtree
09-07-2008, 09:07 AM
:wave: Hi Gayle!

I love the little diva expression and haphazardly chic hairdo of the girl. Exquisite skin tones as usual. Nice subtle background work, especially lovely is that area in our upper left. The hint of the stained glass window and architectural details are wonderful. I like her top better in the reddish-pink tones - good decision on that tweak! Great contrasts - lovely shadows and highlights in this piece as well.

As for suggestions, this may or may not be something worth fixing but there seems to be a proportion problem with her prominent arm. Distance from shoulder to elbow appears too short and distance from elbow to wrist appears too long. No one else has noticed though so it may be just me. Other than that, I didn't see anything else amiss.

She's a beauty Gail! :clap: :D

Elizabeth

arl
09-07-2008, 09:16 AM
Lovely work. I like the way you modeled her face and hair.

noodle1
09-07-2008, 10:51 AM
The only thing that has distracted me from this "amazing" piece is as well the arm. I think the elbow could be moved down a bit, from the crook of her arm it seems a little too high. As someone else said the proportions seem a little off.
The curve from shoulder to elbow seems too softly curved, just an oh so slight
alteration to that area maybe. It would pull in some around the elbow bone, not alot but just enough to not have it look like a swing line, soft angled better I'd think.

The more I dig into anatomy the more I find wrong in my own figures, so you should listen to me ?! :o She's amazing regardless and you've done a magnificent piece you can be proud of. Love that face. I have been in love with this since the first time I saw it!

Elaine

LavenderFrost
09-07-2008, 11:57 AM
It's all been said. :thumbsup:

lilbelle
09-07-2008, 02:27 PM
Gayle, I love the changes you made to her outfit and hair! Wonderful job!

old_hobbyist
09-07-2008, 02:50 PM
Gayle, another comment from one who should not be commenting. I have trouble with shadows (or lack thereof). In particular, the back of her hand and her fingers just above - they seem too light compared with shadows on her face. And the lack of a shadow on the railing beneath the palm of her hand. Same is true when I compare the darkness of her hair away from the light and that on the underside of the railing.
Jim