PDA

View Full Version : Peach Rose...

Nutan
09-06-2008, 10:59 AM
Hi,

I have just started to paint in acrylics a month back. So basically in learning mode. Here is the sketch and initial painting done of a Peach Rose on a 10"X12" canvas.

The cadmium orange is just too bright and I need to tone it down a bit. Also the stem was removed while painting it. One more coat of paint needs to be given yet. Would glazing be the option after second paint is given? Please suggest about how to make it better.

~~Kathleen
09-06-2008, 11:25 AM
Welcome to the forum Nutan
Tou have a wonderful start here.
I am enclosing a WIP from the Hall of fame for you to go over.
It is about painting a rose, and it is wonderful.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=324320
It was suggested recently to me, and I found it a big help!
Look forward to seeing how you do with this, Keep us posted please.
~~Kathleen

Linee
09-06-2008, 12:46 PM
I think more darker values in the center would help it "pop" more. I think it's VERY beautiful already. Keep going. It's going to be gorgeous! I love the shape of the petals set against the dark background.

Sharrm
09-06-2008, 08:00 PM
Wow, Nutan, this is looking so good, at this point. Wonderful work, especially as your first rose, and second painting from what I can see in your profile. You are doing so well with acrylics.
Kathleen, and Linda have given you some great advise.
Also in the Information Kiosk up above, there is a WIP from another member ...rmc -Ruth.....on a Summer Rose WIP. That you should have a look at too, for some great information. She also shows what brushes she uses and talks about glazing, that you were asking about. Here's the address just click on it: http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=459832

Will be back :wave:

~~Kathleen
09-06-2008, 08:31 PM
Golly Sharon, I remember when Ruth painted this.
She inspired me then, and still does now!
I am nowhere near where she is yet (if ever) but I know that with hard work and never giving up ...."It can be done!"
This was a fabulous WIP!
~~Kathleen

deadsam
09-06-2008, 10:04 PM
beautiful start to this and welcome to the forum

susme48
09-06-2008, 11:00 PM
Wonderful start....much better than I could do!! Welcome to the forum!!

edtree
09-07-2008, 09:15 AM
:wave: Hi Nutan, and Welcome!

Your rose shows beautifully already, even in the thumbnail version! I'm thinking that your cad orange doesn't need to be lightened; you're already getting some nice depth from the stronger colors in the folds and between pedals. This is not anywhere NEAR my area of expertise, but wanted to tell you that from my perspective, this is looking wonderful! :thumbsup: :D

Elizabeth

Nutan
09-11-2008, 02:02 AM
Hi All,

Thanks for your wonderful comments. :)

Kathleen & Sharron - Thanks for the links. It surely helps me now. Yes Sharron, this is my second try at acrylics. The first one is the Crashing Wave, which didnt come up well as I did not use any mediums and was not able to do the rocks and waves well.

I couldn't proceed with my painting much, as these certification exams were taking up my time. :crying: Since I have now completed most of them:cool: , I can now resume my painting. I will keep posting on this forum for more suggestions. :)

~Nutan

barsha
09-11-2008, 02:49 AM
The painting has come out very well. But it looks like a paper rose. Doesn't matter it has come out very well. Features of a good painting indeed.:clap:

Aires
09-11-2008, 07:17 PM
My, what a good start you've made in rose painting, not the easiest flower to make look just picked but everyone wants to try it, right?

My only comment would be: have you thought about some soft, even shadowed leaves behind the rose? My feeling is that with some soft green behind that rose, it will give you an entirely different slant on the coloring in the rose, which you seem to feel is too bright. The pale rose against such a dark ground makes it difficult to really judge the values in shading the rose petals. Good work.... keep going!!!

Bizkit
09-11-2008, 09:13 PM
Wonderful job with this, I like it alot. I would only suggest that you likely dont need to go into as much detail on the sketching part, the shading will come directly from the paint.

OkeeKat
09-11-2008, 09:41 PM
:wave: Hiya!! welcome to the acrylics forum!!
What a Beautiful start!! Cant wait to see the next update!!:clap:

Nutan
10-02-2008, 10:45 AM
Hi All,

First of all apologies for such a late reply and very much late update on this painting. Since the stock market started plummeting, it had been very busy days. Painting being the stress buster I finally took sometime to try to complete this one. It looks better than before. :)

Barsha, you were right that it looked like a paper rose. Just added some more colour to this. Your comments are welcome.

Thanks Aires.:) I had actually thought of having green leaves behind, but somehow I feel the space around the rose is much too less. Also, would it be difficult to colour the soft green over the dark barkground? I am not sure about it. Please guide me more on this.

Bizkit, you are right. Actually this is one of the first lessons I have learnt while painting this pic. I would take care of oversketching from next painting onwards.

Hi Kathie, Thanks for your wonderful comments. Also, here is the latest update. :)

Your suggestions/comments are always welcome.

susme48
10-02-2008, 11:58 AM
This turned out quite lovely!!

~~Kathleen
10-02-2008, 12:10 PM
:clap:Well done, I am happy that you stuck it out!
Big challenge and you rose to it!
~~Kathleen

sveldstra
10-02-2008, 12:26 PM
I love the update, the colours are gorgeous. Welcome to acrylics! Looking forward to future wips.

OkeeKat
10-02-2008, 09:57 PM
Simply Gorgeous!!

objectivistartist
10-03-2008, 12:52 AM
:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Heston
10-03-2008, 01:52 AM
Very beautiful rose, love the colors.

LavenderFrost
10-03-2008, 11:26 AM
Beautiful!

Aires
10-03-2008, 04:36 PM
Your rose turned out lovely. Soft touch of leaves might have been a choice in the beginning stages but I wouldn't change a thing now. While it is possible to go back and rework things in the background, sometimes later additions cause more problems than they are worth -
I'd go with it and be proud of myself. Congrats :thumbsup: