PDA

View Full Version : Disaster with lettering

InkyEss
09-06-2008, 03:08 AM
Hi all

I had such high hopes for this one. Alas, I messed up! I wrote the little verse myself after watching a hare in the field early one morning... my (poor) attempt at a haiku. :o It was fun though.

The background was easy as I love playing with watercolours, although after I did wonder whether the red and yellow were a little overpowering.

Then I had this crazy idea that gold lettering would really set it off. It didn't! I couldn't see the lettering very well and decided dark green edges might set it off. The whole thing would have been ok if I hadn't been so impatient (and had interruptions).

Mistake number 1: First line of verse should have started much further to the left in order to get it all on one line.

Mistake number 2: No lines pencilled in consequently uneven lettering.

Mistake number 3: Size of lettering inconsistent.

OK, now for rectification... is it possible? I was thinking maybe lifting out with water the word 'soundless' as this grates more than anything else. I'm not worried about completely wrecking it as it is simply a learning exercise anyway. Advice?http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Sep-2008/68454-Morning.JPG
(apologies for poor photograph... poor lighting)

Hiraeth
09-06-2008, 08:06 AM
Wow, Sharon! You are improving by leaps and bounds! Not only have your letters become more uniform and well lettered but you've identified the technical problems (did not line the page before lettering) and the layout challenges (fitting the lines to the page).

As for rectification? In my opinion, there is absolutely no need for rectification. This piece is done. It's a lovely poem, a beautiful watercolor, a HUGE leap in your development as a calligrapher. I think it should stay the way it is.

After all I have spouted about the mechanics of lettering being so important, we still must never forget that calligraphy is expressive. You've expressed a moment in time in words and on paper. Lovely.

As I think about this, I think we are experiencing the same problem in reverse. I am used to lining the page, thinking through the sentences and the words and the letters and how they will play together. It takes time and as a calligrapher, you have all the control. Watercolor, on the other hand, is more immediate and spontaneous. It is responsive and fluid and one has to be able to think fast and respond to the materials instead of govern them. It's HARD for me!

You are used to the freedom and immediacy of watercolors and you want to run with your thoughts. Calligraphy will slow you down a bit but you definitely have an eye for it and are rapidly developing a hand for it. In this you are way ahead of me! :lol:

Hi all

I had such high hopes for this one. Alas, I messed up! I wrote the little verse myself after watching a hare in the field early one morning... my (poor) attempt at a haiku. :o It was fun though.

The background was easy as I love playing with watercolours, although after I did wonder whether the red and yellow were a little overpowering.

Then I had this crazy idea that gold lettering would really set it off. It didn't! I couldn't see the lettering very well and decided dark green edges might set it off. The whole thing would have been ok if I hadn't been so impatient (and had interruptions).

Mistake number 1: First line of verse should have started much further to the left in order to get it all on one line.

Mistake number 2: No lines pencilled in consequently uneven lettering.

Mistake number 3: Size of lettering inconsistent.

OK, now for rectification... is it possible? I was thinking maybe lifting out with water the word 'soundless' as this grates more than anything else. I'm not worried about completely wrecking it as it is simply a learning exercise anyway. Advice?http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Sep-2008/68454-Morning.JPG
(apologies for poor photograph... poor lighting)

quills
09-06-2008, 10:46 AM
Kim says it all Sharon...
What a great Haiku and the dancing lettering perfectly describes it. Think of the important word soundless where is it in the composition ?
Sitting in a sweet spot on a third :thumbsup:

InkyEss
09-06-2008, 11:45 AM
Thank you Kim and Neil. You are both so lovely and so kind. :heart: Thank you for your encouragement.

Kim, you hit the nail on the head, I think the reason I like watercolour is its very much like me, spontaneous and uncontrollable. :lol:

I will leave as is and move on to the next.
Getting excited now with the G project! :cat:

Hiraeth
09-06-2008, 01:36 PM
Looking forward to seeing your 'G'!

Sharon, I have to plan to be spontaneous! It's true. That is why I love having spontaneous people around me. They keep me from being satisfied to stay home in my jammies and read and write and letter with a cup of coffee at my elbow.:eek:

Thank you Kim and Neil. You are both so lovely and so kind. :heart: Thank you for your encouragement.

Kim, you hit the nail on the head, I think the reason I like watercolour is its very much like me, spontaneous and uncontrollable. :lol:

I will leave as is and move on to the next.
Getting excited now with the G project! :cat: