PDA

View Full Version : Exciting news! PSA award

Maggie P
09-05-2008, 07:02 PM
A while back I posted about entering shows and how a painting rejected from one show had been accepted by another:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=512869

The painting that was accepted into the Pastel Society of America's exhibition, which is being hung now (or perhaps just hung) got an award! I could not tell from the phone message the exact name of the award but it was a $100 one so it's like an Honorable Mention. I am just thrilled. Getting in that show is an honor; an award is even more so.

Just had to share the news with my art buddies!

Tracy Lang
09-05-2008, 07:23 PM
Congrats, Maggie :clap: :clap: :clap:

Awesome news!!!

Tracy

nana b
09-05-2008, 07:37 PM
Hi Maggie! Congratulations, your work is fantastic! Have you shown us those works? I went back and didn't find any, would love to see them!

nana

Deborah Secor
09-05-2008, 07:56 PM
WHOO HOO!!!!!

Okay, I'm calming down now... I should be more contained...say something sedately, like congratulations but...

Maggie, you just won an AWARD at the PSA Show!!!!!!
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Deborah

Kathryn Wilson
09-05-2008, 08:19 PM
:music: :music: CONGRATULATIONS!!! :music::music:

binkie
09-05-2008, 08:46 PM
C O N G R A T U L A T I O N S!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What wonderful news!

binkie

Dougwas
09-05-2008, 08:52 PM
Congratulations Maggie!!!!:clap:

Doug

BabyBeeb
09-05-2008, 08:54 PM
Hey Maggie!

A HUGE congratulations to you!
You showed us students at your Oregon~July workshop your entry...if I'm not mistaken...is it the painting with the renaissance costumes?
How cool is that!
Enjoy the high!

Brenda:thumbsup:

bchlvr
09-05-2008, 08:56 PM
Congratulations Maggie!! Your work is gorgeous!!!!

Kathryn Day
09-05-2008, 10:38 PM
How exciting!!! Very high honor to be awarded at the PSA show.

ElsieH
09-05-2008, 10:57 PM
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Way to go, Maggie!

Congratulations! Thanks for sharing with us! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :music: :music: :music: :heart:

Paula Ford
09-05-2008, 10:58 PM
C O N G R A T U L A T I O N S ! ! ! That's such exciting news Maggie!!

jemgold
09-06-2008, 12:23 AM
Maggie
Congratulations!! What an honor but well deserved.

klord
09-06-2008, 12:30 AM
Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IdahoHat
09-06-2008, 12:41 AM
Maggie - All of our congratulations are really heartfelt! But, WE ARE NOT SURPRISED! Your work is amazing and should be recognized. This encourages all of us to keep on working.

ourcassidy!
09-06-2008, 12:50 AM
Maggie! Congratulations! Thank you for sharing with us! Pam

Shari
09-06-2008, 12:53 AM
Congrats Maggie, that is wonderful news!!! You deserve it, your paintings are beautiful. Last week I was at a home in Medford Oregon, celebrating Richard's birthday with a group of students, and I saw one of your original paintings on the wall!! I was thrilled.

Dot Hoffman
09-06-2008, 09:46 AM
Wow, Maggie, wonderful news. Congratulations:clap: :clap:

Maggie P
09-06-2008, 11:14 AM
Thanks for all the congrats! I am still pretty amazed at this.

Brenda, it was not the medieval night scene which you saw in Portland; that one was declined. It was another painting that I felt was pretty strong but of the three I submitted to PSA, the one I thought less likely to be accepted.

Here it is again for those who missed it in the other thread. It's called The First Kiss of Fall, and is 16x20, painted on the Terra Cotta color of the Richeson surface on gatorfoam.

I painted it earlier this year. I took the reference photo during a workshop in Cortona, Italy the previous fall. I painted two paintings on the farm/hotel we visited that day, and while wandering around the property was struck by the red vine on the front of this building. I liked the angles (though I cropped the original photo to get the placement I wanted) and the lovely diagonals of the light and shadows across the building. You may not be able to see it well in this photo, but there's also a wine cask just inside the open door, mostly shadowed, and I really liked that.

I don't think I could have understood the foliage as well if I had not painted so many paintings (about 20) that week in Cortona. What I learned there, and the color studies I brought back with me, helped me interpret the photograph.

Again, thanks for all the :clap: !

Colorix
09-06-2008, 01:07 PM
Congratulations!!! And for the sharing of the non-predictable-ness of a jury.

This one chose right!

fio44
09-06-2008, 08:24 PM
CONGRATULATIONS Maggie! Any award is a good award! Way to go!

Maggie P
09-06-2008, 09:05 PM
Thanks!

Jeff, nice to "see" you here. I enjoyed your web site and a look at your new work!

Maggie P
09-06-2008, 09:23 PM
If anyone is interested in seeing the list of all the awards, it's posted at:

http://www.pastelsocietyofamerica.org/main/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=13&Itemid=31

They give a lot of awards at this show so it's a long list!

Scottyarthur
09-07-2008, 12:31 AM
that is great Maggie, Congrats. I noticed that it has been mentioned when and who but not where could anyone tell me please, I must have missed it. thank you.

fio44
09-07-2008, 07:50 AM
Thanks!

Jeff, nice to "see" you here. I enjoyed your web site and a look at your new work!

Thanks Maggie! Likewise, I've always appreciated your work, holding a special affection for your water work. Congrats again on the award!

Maggie P
09-07-2008, 02:39 PM
that is great Maggie, Congrats. I noticed that it has been mentioned when and who but not where could anyone tell me please, I must have missed it. thank you.

The award is for a painting in the annual exhibition of the Pastel Society of America, which is at the National Arts Club in New York City.

I was so excited about the award for my painting, I forgot to mention that my former partner and co-founder of The Pastel Journal, Janie Hutchinson, and I are each receiving the PSA "Friend of Pastel" award at that same awards ceremony. I was also happy to be selected to teach the 5-day workshop in conjunction with their annual exhibition and workshop events. All of these are great honors so I am on Cloud 9!

Adriana Meiss
09-07-2008, 03:14 PM
Well, Double Congratulations!

I saw the paintings you submitted and while I like them all, this one caught my attention for its simplicity in design. It has an abstract quality too. Beautiful!

Scottyarthur
09-07-2008, 03:30 PM
Thank you Maggie, wish I could attend. Have a great time and enjoy

pastellady
09-08-2008, 01:26 AM
Congrats, Maggie!!!!! I love this painting-the honor is well deserved!

David Patterson
09-08-2008, 07:23 PM
Congrats Maggie...love your work!

David