PDA

View Full Version : September Pastel Strokes

Colorix
09-04-2008, 06:30 PM
Hello Pastellists,

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Welcome to the September 2008 Pastel Strokes!

Those who have participated in previous months already know the guidelines. For all newbies to this monthly challenge, they are as follows:

* Interested participants create a painting from the photo and upload it to this thread for viewing and discussion.
* The image may be cropped, rearranged, and interpreted in any manner! Use different effects in your software program and try painting something different, tweak the color, add or subtract things. This is a friendly chance to share the creative venture. Have fun with it!
* You may paint as many versions as you like, and they may be any size.

----------------

Yes, here it is!

We have 3 pictures this time, two landscapes and one still-life, all taken in Sweden. If you want a larger/higher resolution picture, please PM me.

I thought we could play with yellows, oranges, and browns, in this outdoor set-up of pot and cups:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Sep-2008/117343-Kanna-45.jpg

Continuing on the yellow theme, here is a sunset, with some resting ducks (the black spots on the water):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Sep-2008/117343-Vaxholm-sunset.jpg

There are a lot of islands and a lot of water where I live, and here is a typical "blond waterscape" from the archipelago outside Stockholm:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Sep-2008/117343-Archipelago-407.jpg

Let's get dusty, my friends!

Charlie

Colorix
09-04-2008, 06:37 PM
Guys, it is past midnight over here, and this gal needs her beauty-sleep. Requests for larger images will be dealt with promptly tomorrow morning (my morning).

G'night,
Charlie

Rusla
09-04-2008, 07:04 PM
Large images are good. I thought maybe we had given up on these. Thanks for posting them. Have a nice sleep.

Randi-Lee

bchlvr
09-04-2008, 08:26 PM
Charlie...I love these photos!

PeggyB
09-04-2008, 08:29 PM
Lovely photos Charlie. Thanks dor hosting this month.

Peggy

Dougwas
09-05-2008, 12:59 AM
Gee Charlie, it's not one of my goals but I just might have to try the third photo. We'll see. Way to step up.:thumbsup:

Doug

Tressa
09-05-2008, 07:13 AM
Great pics Charlie, and hope you got some zzzs....thanks for hosting!
Tres

Paula Ford
09-05-2008, 10:40 AM
Beautiful photos Charlie!!

Colorix
09-05-2008, 11:20 AM
Thank you, guys! The other projects were not ready to be launched yet, so the moderators thought a Strokes would be good to have. It is late because I volunteered after discovering it was not up, and we set it up as quick as we could.

I took the photo of the still-life several years ago, intending to paint a plein air still-life (in oils), saving time by doing the drawing beforehand. Never got around to it, but those colours are rather enticing, so now I get to do it in pastels!

The water-scape was shot just the other day, so it is 'hot'! :-)

Remember, PM me for higher resolution pics.

Looking forward to seeing lovely paintings!

Charlie

Mario V
09-05-2008, 04:43 PM
Charlie, great pics :clap: !!! thanks for hosting :D

ChristyLB
09-05-2008, 05:04 PM
I love the pictures, I think I will participate this month. Thanks, Charlie!

Desiree
09-05-2008, 05:28 PM
I will have to give it a try! Great photos, thanks

Jancee
09-05-2008, 05:33 PM
Good photos! Sign me up, Charlie.

CM Neidhofer
09-06-2008, 12:07 AM
Yea!!! Thanks for hosting!! :clap: :clap:

Christine

Pastel_Love
09-06-2008, 03:25 AM
Great choice of pics - I love the color them ones.

wakar
09-06-2008, 08:53 PM
Oooo Charlie....that tea pot and cups still life is wonderful. I wish my skill level were up to all those rich colors, contrasts and multi tonal and multi colored shadows. Alas... LOL I'll save the pic for later, or maybe an oil as you thought.

Thanks for hosting this!

Wakar

Merethe T
09-07-2008, 12:17 PM
Oooooh, I like the still life, yummy colors! And the shadows look like fun!! I'm on a very tight schedule, but maybe I'll manage to squeeze it in.....
Thanks for hosting Charlie, great pics!

Merethe

Colorix
09-07-2008, 12:25 PM
Merete, Wakar, just crop it tightly, that'll make it easier, quicker. :-)

Sonni
09-07-2008, 11:59 PM
I'll try to get my act together enough to do one. The last photo has some neat lights happening.

Rusla
09-08-2008, 01:59 AM
I have had a tough time deciding with these but I think I will do the middle one with the ducks.

Randi-Lee

alija1001
09-08-2008, 03:30 PM
Hi here is my first one.
Going to try the sea one later.
Done on a4 paper.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Sep-2008/78136-Teapot_and_mugs.jpg

Colorix
09-08-2008, 05:42 PM
Hello Gill, great contribution! I like how you simplified the busy background, it certainly needed simplifying. And you differentiated all the yellow-orange elements from each other by giving them distinctly different colours, good job on that! Clever to make the tray pinky, that is a good example of artistic license, of making the picture your own! What kind of paper did you use? (We always ask about papers, in our eternal quest for the 'perfect paper', don't we? :-) .. and the 'perfect' pastels... )

Good job, Gill, and thank you for braving it and being first to post!

Charlie

alija1001
09-08-2008, 05:46 PM
Done on pastel paper.

bchlvr
09-08-2008, 08:37 PM
Very nice job Gill! You sure were quick and the first one to post! What brand is your pastel paper? It looks like it has a nice texture.

alija1001
09-09-2008, 05:35 AM
Daler Rowney 12 x 9 inches 98lbs
ingres
acid free

alija1001
09-09-2008, 08:34 AM
Have added some shadows under tray, teapot and mugs.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Sep-2008/78136-Teapot_and_mugs.jpg

Colorix
09-09-2008, 09:08 AM
Good decision, Gill, it really adds a hint of 3D! You could use a bit darker values under pot and mug, it'll make them 'pop' even more.

Charlie

Calcbunny
09-09-2008, 10:31 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Sep-2008/138629-000_0190-1.jpg

Hello, I am pretty new to pastels maybe about 6 months. I do not have a lot of pastels either. But I do really like it and I love adding color to a otherwise fairly plain landscape.

I used Pastel Board, and my pastels are a combo of Terry Ludwig, and Sennelier.

Please feel free to give any advice which may make my painting better.

Thanks! Abbe

alija1001
09-09-2008, 10:42 AM
Great Picture Abbe

ChristyLB
09-09-2008, 10:44 AM
Weird... I thought I posted, but apparently I did not.

Gill: Nice painting! I love the mood! :)

Abbe: I love how the water leads me right inside the painting. Beautiful!

alija1001
09-09-2008, 10:58 AM
Put darker shades under pot and mugs
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Sep-2008/78136-Teapot_and_mugs.jpg

alija1001
09-09-2008, 12:52 PM
Here is my sunset scene.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Sep-2008/78136-Sea_with_sunset.jpg

Mette Rörström
09-09-2008, 03:12 PM
Great! Thanks for hosting!
Of to work!

Colorix
09-09-2008, 04:31 PM
Gill, wow, you're productive! (I'm still working on one of the pics.) Lovely serene sunset, and you got a beautiful glow in the yellows and oranges, and darkened the water gradually towards the bottom edge. Good job, on both pictures.

Mette, I hope you mean "work on painting"! :-)

Colorix
09-09-2008, 05:17 PM
Abbe, very nice! Welcome! You're doing very well with the pastels you have, in fact, it looks like you would not need any more pastels, you use the ones you have to optically create more colours! That also makes livelier and interesting colours. As in the reeds, for example, where the near ones are richer in colour, and the far ones are obviously the same kind of growth, but with colours that show the greater distance. And I love how you made the picture your own, using it as a starting point, and making your own painting.

Charlie

bchlvr
09-09-2008, 07:09 PM
Abbe...love your colors...they make your painting shine! Well done!

bchlvr
09-09-2008, 07:10 PM
Gill...much better with the additional shadows!

Your seascape is fantastic...love your sky and the way the light shines through...good graduation in the water!

Mette Rörström
09-09-2008, 08:35 PM
Charlie...yes I meen painting:) ...
here is the first one...
Ingres paper.
21 x 30 cm.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Sep-2008/130835-DSCN0450.JPG

bchlvr
09-09-2008, 08:41 PM
Nice sky and especially like that one pine tree on the right.

Mette Rörström
09-10-2008, 06:20 AM
Hi!:wave:
Here is the rest of the work....
30 x 40 cm.
on brigth red paper.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Sep-2008/130835-DSCN0452.JPG

I do not like to paint still life,so...
Crop it as you like,Charlie said.....ok.
here it is....
Painted on velour paper.
24 x 30 cm.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Sep-2008/130835-te_kanne..JPG

Mette Rörström
09-10-2008, 06:23 AM
Linn...Thank you!

Inki C
09-10-2008, 10:11 AM
Thanks for hosting Cocorix. The pictures are all great!
The still life's perfect for me to exercise shadows and bright colors.:thumbsup:
This is where I'm now...(I cleared the design of the plate)
It's on colourfix 12 1/2 x 16 inch.
I would appreciate some tips for the background-colors...
(I don't think the green is going to fit in with the purple and yellow :confused: ...)

Ingrid

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Sep-2008/150011-5.JPG

Colorix
09-10-2008, 10:19 AM
Mette, they are wonderful, *especially* the macro-crop of the teapot! You do still-life that well, and don't really like it? Amazing. Honestly, the spout is brilliant.

Good crop on the sunset, one I've been considering too. :-) Good glow in the sky, and the pink water goes really well with it, and the ducks are too cute, they even have a little shadow, each one of them!

And last, but not least, the water/island-scape: Good sense of depth, and the clarity of the colours plus the pink sky makes me feel that it is dawn, just when the sun rises behind the island. Great path in the shape of the water that leads us around the last bend, out on fjärden, the bay, (sort of 'bay', larger open water in the middle of islands).

Love your colours!

Charlie

Inki C
09-10-2008, 10:33 AM
Charlie sorry, I see I spelled you're wc-name wrong...:o

fortysomething
09-10-2008, 10:41 AM
Hello all. WC! keeps telling me I haven't posted in a while, so here's one for this months challenge!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Sep-2008/64375-YellowTeapot8.jpg

It ended up not looking anything at all like the reference photo. Oh well, it is what it is. :D

Colorix
09-10-2008, 11:37 AM
Lisa, how nice of the WC to prod you into posting this luxuriously colourful painting, so we can enjoy it! It is great you made the picture your own, by interpreting it. While you toned down the intensity of the light, you still make the objects 'pop' by the the purplishblue/blueygreenish background. Greens are a near complement to the oranges, and the purplish blue a near complement to the yellows. Nice loose strokes, too, I can learn from you. Good job on this colourful gem of a painting. (I mention your painting in my comment to Ingrid, too.)

Ingrid, thanks for the WIP, we all love to see a work emerging! Very good colours, and a special sheen on the glazed pot and coffee-cup. About the background: It is quite busy, so it would generally be a good idea to not do any detail in it, so the set-up is unrivalled. You can do lots of things with it, why not try to change it in several different ways digitally? Then you can choose the one you think conveys *your* idea about the painting best. Lisa chose one good way, with analogous complementaries and near complementaries. It is sort of an abstract bg that could possibly be indoors. Other ways to do it could be to use neutral background (complements in neutralized 'mouse-colour'), or to take the colours of the bg and apply them in a very loose abstract manner. You could have a black bg, or a blue sky-type of bg. Or continue the analogous colours and have a deep red bg. Play with it, you'll learn a lot from choosing what you like best. Your painting is looking very good so far!

Charlie

Inki C
09-10-2008, 12:38 PM
why not try to change it in several different ways digitallyWow, that's a terrific idea Charlie, I'm gonna try different colours and see what works best for me...before ruining the painting :)
Gonna finish this in the weekend...to much work for the moment :(

Lisa: I like your painting very much, I want to learn approaching a subject in that way...

Ingrid

Mette Rörström
09-10-2008, 04:16 PM
Ingrid.. this looks great so far...
Charlie...Thank you!
Lisa B...Beutyful painting!

ChristyLB
09-10-2008, 04:30 PM
http://www.coypond.net/uploaded_images/still_life091008-765438.jpg

Here's my contribution!
Rembrandt Soft Pastels on Amersand Pastelbord.

I love Rembrandt Soft Pastels. They don't make too much dust. After reading some of the threads in this forum about the dangers of pastel dust, I am 100% in favor of low-dust brands while I'm painting in the general vicinity of a baby. I want to try others, and actually have a small half-stick assortment of Senneliers, but for now I think I'll stick with Rembrandts.

I don't think I love the Pastelbord. I don't really have a heavy hand, at least I don't think I do. I estimated that Pastelbord can take two 'layers' and then it's full, and I don't love the way the pastels 'blend' at the full point. I don't know if this makes sense, but even on Canson I can blend colors, even when there is zero tooth left (not that it even starts with much). On Pastelbord, further application over full areas didn't really blend so much as it moved lower layers around. Maybe I just need to get used to it. I much preferred my recent experience with La Carte.

Colorix
09-10-2008, 04:57 PM
Christy, so beautifully soft and delicate, sort of Poetic. The shadow side of the pot is beautiful with the delicate colour reflections and the brighter light-reflections. The 'mousy' neutral of the table make the soft colours of the pot and cups stand out very nicely. Great that you pushed the colours of the objects apart and differentiated.

Blending: I've had the same experience but with Sansfix, which is like a 'pebbled' sandpaper. The dust just gets 'plowed' around after a while. The La Carte is much more like a very fine sandpaper, although it is veggie matter that makes the grit. La Carte is a good choice for keeping dust down, and so are the sandpapers. The supersofties, like Schmincke, do not make much loose dust at all, not in the air, as they cling to the paper. They even cling to Rembrandt dust already applied.

Btw, aren't you guys happy I turned away all handles in the still-life? :-D Seven (or is it 8?) ovals are tricky enough...

Colorix
09-11-2008, 05:29 PM
OK, here is my version of the still-life, in a very realistic rendering. I discovered that while I don't have patience for detail, I do have patience for the smallest atom of colour...

I spent way too much time on it (loving the colours), and it got way too tightly rendered, but I enjoyed finding every shift of colour in it!

Size 12x16" or so (30x40cm ca)
Colourfix, Aussie gray
Mostly Rembrands, but a few TLs and Us.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Sep-2008/117343-Yellow-pot-finish-light-m-i.jpg

This is a night-time photo, that looks like the painting does under ordinary lightbulb-light. Have to re-shoot it tomorrow, for a daytime pic, as this is probably *way* too yellow and red.

Charlie

Mette Rörström
09-11-2008, 06:02 PM
Charlie...This is wonderful! Wery good!

ChristyLB
09-11-2008, 06:52 PM
Charlie: You make me feel like a rank amateur!! :)

That is GORGEOUS!! I love it!! I've decided I need to spend more time on the drawing. I *can* draw, I just get so anxious to get dusty that I am willing to settle for a lower quality sketch just so I can get into the color. Your painting is very inspiring.

Colorix
09-11-2008, 07:25 PM
Mette, Christy, thanks a lot! It is mostly technique, and patience. I've done a lot of still-lifes, I love them, and I have an eye for the subtle colours within colours. This is my comfort zone.

Christy, with oodles of ovals and intricate masses, I grid! It'd take me forever to draw this freehand, so I grid and trace. Landscapes are much more forgiving. Who knows, or cares, if a bush gets two leaves higher? :-)

SharonC
09-11-2008, 08:13 PM
I really like your use of color:thumbsup: I learn so much from reading and looking at all the paintings that are submitted

DocBoots
09-11-2008, 11:59 PM
This is wonderful! What a great idea! And all of the submissions are so beautiful!

Do you do this every month? I don't know if I'll have time for September but I'd love to try one of these!

~~Boots~~

Colorix
09-12-2008, 05:39 AM
Sharon and Boots, Welcome to WC! and thank you!

The Pastel Strokes have been done every month (more or less) for a good while. There are some new projects and classes in the planning for the Pastel forum, so I don't know if there will be more Strokes.

But, the WC is packed with projects: In All Media Art Events forum, there is a WDE, a weekly project where there are 16 photos to choose from.
Landscape forum has a monthly project, with 3 photos.
The there is a 'Scavenger Hunt' in Drawing.
And many other fun projects.
And, the new projects in this Pastel Forum, but they are not revealed just yet, coming to a monitor near you real soon. :-)

Charlie

fortysomething
09-12-2008, 09:06 AM
Charlie and Ingrid- Thank you so much for your compliments. I love soft colors, but I don't work with them very well. Charlie, yours is a lot closer to what I had in mind when I started this. LOVE the pinks you got in there!

Inki C
09-13-2008, 03:29 AM
Ok, I finished the painting, toned down and blured the background, but not the foreground because the plate seemed to float when I did that :lol:
It didn't turned out how I wanted it, guess I need to practice more...
Charlie: Your painting is so beautifull, I love those colors!:clap:
(I hope the new projects are going to be fun!)

Ingrid

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Sep-2008/150011-af_klein_formaat.JPG

Mette Rörström
09-13-2008, 08:40 AM
Ingrid....:clap: :clap:

Colorix
09-13-2008, 09:16 AM
Ingrid, it is beautiful! The toned down and blurred bg works really well. Gorgeous table, too. Yes, objects need to be 'anchored' in reality in order to not float/hover. You do make gorgous sheens and reflections! Well done!

Charlie

Colorix
09-13-2008, 09:21 AM
Hi all,

Forgot to say: If you don't have time to paint any of these images this month, do save them for painting them later. Then you can post them in the Pastel Studio/Gallery forum.

And you who have already posted here: there are many people on the main forum who do not come here, so if you want to show it to 'the world', post it in Studio/Gallery. And if you want your painting to be critiqued, please post it in Pastel Studio/Gallery, and ask for C&C. Here in Strokes-thread we have secure fun, so we don't critique, generally, I was told, and I've stuck to it.

Charlie

bchlvr
09-13-2008, 09:44 AM
Gorgeous paintings so far! The still life paintings have beautiful color!

nadia37
09-13-2008, 09:58 AM
hi all,
im also working on my version of the theepots, this is what ive got till now

ingrid wowwwww heel schoon hoor , benieuwd hoe mijne er ga uitzien , nu vind ik wel de achtergrond er ni goe bij passe maarja is nog ni af

Colorix
09-13-2008, 10:47 AM
Nadia, looking very good so far! What paper are you working on, and what size? That bright orange/terracotta paper should unify the painting beautifully!

Charlie

nadia37
09-13-2008, 11:14 AM
hi charlie,
thank you
its canson mi teinte the size is 8 x 11 inch

Adriana Meiss
09-13-2008, 07:45 PM
Nice photos Charlie.
I decided to do a crop of the landscape. The orange light on the branches called my attention. Unfortunately this picture is too blue and the orange doesn't show well. I selected the colors in the studio, and worked most of it in the office, where I have the computer. I did it squinting my eyes. Because I used black Richesson paper, I started with the sky, trying to leave the shape of the trees in black. I finished it in the studio. 1 hr. mix of pastels. I'm finding this paper just right for when I want to work fast and loose.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Sep-2008/41853-WCSept2_27sm.jpg

I should title this "Procrastinating" :lol: A really tough week, with sick doggy, little sleep, and getting ready for a course that starts on Monday. Pastels always come to my rescue! (or is it distraction?) Anyway, I feel better already!

Mario V
09-14-2008, 05:26 AM
Gill, very nice colors :)although I liked the fist one better
Abbe, very vibrant painting, good work :)
Mette, I like the way you executed tree and that pink sky :thumbsup:
Ingrid, a stunning work, excellent:clap:
Lisa, your work looks like you have some extra lite in the pastels. Amazing :)
Christie, love it a lot. good work:thumbsup:
Charlie, fantastic vibrant painting :). Looks like most of us liked the pot and the cups. Thanks for this :clap:
Nadia, great start, or I should say quite spectacular considering the paper:clap:
Adriana, It looks perfect to me. The light on the front tree is beautiful. FRAME IT!!! :thumbsup:

Mette Rörström
09-14-2008, 07:24 AM
thank you,Mario!

bchlvr
09-14-2008, 07:59 AM
Great start Nadia!

Adriana...love your crop and colors!

Colorix
09-14-2008, 08:08 AM
Adriana, beautiful crop, one can hardly believe it is the same ref! I noticed those glowing oranges there too, they are enticing, eh?

As you said it was too blue, I 'noodled' with it in PS. Is this more like it, or did it get too dark here and there?

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Sep-2008/117343-Adrianas.jpg

Either way, it is beautiful indeed. The colours of the one you posted look very much like that scene would be on a cloudy day, all blond and blue and grayed.

And you've showed us how to find a portion of a photo, and not get stuck in only thinking of the image as a whole, thank you! A very good lesson.

Charlie

Colorix
09-14-2008, 08:12 AM
Mario, thank you!

Nadia, agree, on that paper, it is very impressive! And the size is quite small, too. Am eagerly awaiting the next progress, and/or the finish!

Adriana Meiss
09-14-2008, 02:48 PM
Mario, Linn, Thank you!

Charlie, you said, And you've showed us how to find a portion of a photo, and not get stuck in only thinking of the image as a whole, thank you! A very good lesson.
Don't give me credit for this. I learned it from you and your "Spirit Ways" painting! :lol:

Very nice of you to take the time to fiddle with colors. The real one is somewhere in between the two. The main tree stands out but not so much as in yours, but the background is just right because it shows the blue grays, reds, and olive greens I used in the trees. Compare with yours, mine does look more like a cloudy day. You've given me some ideas here.
Thanks again,

nadia37
09-14-2008, 04:30 PM
thank you all i have finished the painting today
now i can work an my squirrel and finish that also

Inki C
09-15-2008, 02:26 AM
Nadia: Heel mooi gedaan, en op dat papier! :eek: Dat kan ik niet hoor...Het kopje vooraan glanst zo en lijkt heel glad, net echt!
Groetjes :wave: Ingrid

Colorix
09-15-2008, 08:43 AM
Nadia, really good job on this! The sense of glaze on the coffee-cup is fantastic. You've kept the overall colour at the same kind of saturation, and the yellow pot really stands out as the star of the show!

Charlie

pastelmimigt
09-15-2008, 05:40 PM
Great American pastels on Sennelier La Carte. I uploaded a large picture with the "yellow mountain" but it's not showing, so I'll do the clickable thumbnail attachment.

Michele

bchlvr
09-15-2008, 08:00 PM
Great job...like the grasses and trees!

Colorix
09-16-2008, 05:07 AM
Michele, really good job on this! Nice crop -- the scene is more 'intimate' this way. Water, near tree(s) and reeds are gorgeous, and all the colours in the sky! Sky looks a lot like that actual day when the pic was shot -- light high clouds/haze, bleaching out the sky, and there were patches of clear blue sky giving colour to the water. Very lovely painting!

Charlie

Winny Kerr
09-20-2008, 09:33 PM
Ingrid, Leuk om Nederlands te lezen. Doe je ook pastel? En welkom. Winny

Shirl Parker
09-20-2008, 11:22 PM
Ingrid, Winny, Kunt u het Engels spreken? Hoe weet u Nadia het Nederlands eerder dan het Frans spreekt? Peut-être elle parle français. :evil: :evil: :evil:

Inki C
09-21-2008, 03:00 AM
Hallo allemaal,

Ik weet dat Nadia Nederlands spreekt omdat ze mijn zus is:lol: .
Nadia: Die eekhoorn is echt prachtig geworden!
Winny: Ik heb al met allerlei media wat gewerkt: olieverf, aquarel enzo...en gaf het steeds na een tijdje op. Maar nu ben ik sinds augustus met pastel bezig (zoals mijn zus), en dat is echt iets voor mij.
En nu een vertaling omdat anderen de antwoorden blijkbaar ook graag lezen:

Hello everybody,
I know Nadia speeks Dutch because she is my sister:lol: .
Nadia: That squirrel turned out beautiful!
Winny: I worked with other media before: oils, watercolor...but gave them up after a short time. I started working with pastels in august (because my sister makes such beuatiful paintings with them), and I like the pastels a lot.

:wave: Ingrid

Colorix
09-21-2008, 05:40 AM
Ingrid, thank you for writing in English too, it is so nice when everybody participating in this thread can understand what is said.

Do keep up with the pastels, you're doing great with them!

Charlie

Shirl Parker
09-21-2008, 11:51 AM
Hi Ingrid, thanks for posting in both languages, and thanks Charlie for expressing so graciously what I wanted to say. I'm always putting my foot in it. It seems I missed a whole page of 20 postings. It's nice to know that Nadia is your sister and welcome to you both, and Winny to this forum.

In case you are wondering, I only really speak English, Spanish and French, but I had some friends in the Netherlands when I was playing bridge online, and I tried to learn a little Dutch. I have since found this free online translation program which I used here. I hope it does a good translation. http://www1.worldlingo.com/en/products_services/worldlingo_translator.html

Charlie, I'm not working in dry pastels right now, until I can take some training in the PanPastels. I'm too allergic to the sticks. So.....I love your photo still life with the pot and cups, and I am going to paint it with my oil pastels. So as not to break the rules, I will post it in the OP forum and just slip a little link in here. PS. I love your work.

Hallo Ingrid, dank voor het posten in zowel talen, als dank Charlie voor zo verfijnd (graciously) het uitdrukken van wat ik wilde zeggen. Ik zet altijd mijn voet daarin. Het schijnt ik een gehele pagina van het 20 posten miste. Het is aardig om te weten dat Nadia uw zuster is en in u met allebei, en Winny in dit forum instemt.

Voor het geval dat u benieuwd bent, spreek ik slechts werkelijk Engels, Spaans en Frans, maar ik had sommige vrienden in Nederland toen ik brug online speelde, en ik probeerde om een weinig Nederlands te leren. Ik heb sindsdien dit vrije online vertaalprogramma gevonden dat ik hier gebruikte. Ik hoop het een goede vertaling doet. http://www1.worldlingo.com/en/products_services/worldlingo_translator.html

Charlie, op dit ogenblik werk ik niet in droge pastelkleuren, tot ik kan sommigen nemen die in PanPastels opleiden. Ik ben te allergisch voor de stokken. Zo ..... de liefde van I uw foto nog leven met de pot en de koppen, en ik ga het met mijn oliepastelkleuren schilderen. Zo zo om niet de wetten te overtreden, zal ik post-it in het OP forum en enkel een kleine verbinding in hier uit te glijden. PS. Ik houd van uw werk.

Colorix
09-21-2008, 12:12 PM
... I'm too allergic to the sticks. So.....I love your photo still life with the pot and cups, and I am going to paint it with my oil pastels. So as not to break the rules, I will post it in the OP forum and just slip a little link in here.

I'm sorry you're allergic to the dry pastels. The dust, I presume. (I'm using a mask in order to not develop an allergy to them, I know stuff may be fine for a good while, and then suddenly, one day... one has an allergy.) Do paint it in oil pastels, or oils, or anything, and I'd love to see it, whenever. Remember to save the photo, as it (well, the whole thread) goes away when September is over.

Happy painting,
Charlie

Inki C
09-22-2008, 01:21 PM
Hi Shirl, the translation was funny to read (it translated Bridge as 'brug'.:lol: )
Now I know how reading my English must be for you...:rolleyes:
Charlie: I want to keep working with the pastels but have to learn more: I'm looking forward to your 'Still life' class :clap:

Ingrid

Mario V
09-22-2008, 04:19 PM
Rembrandt and Sennelier soft pastels on La Carte 12x18"

Charlie, thanks for the great photos:clap:. I enjoyed working with these reds and browns I usually don't use

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Sep-2008/133719-0809_wcPas.jpg

Colorix
09-22-2008, 04:55 PM
Mario, wonderful! Those deep shadows really set the intensity of the light! The abstracted background works really well -- the blue tones set of the yellows beautifully. Very believable wood in the table. The little reflection of the coffee-cup in the shadow side of the yellow pot is totally adorable! The cool greenish highlights really help build form. Great job on this!

Do post it in the Studio/Gallery forum, so more people get to see it, and type C&C if you want it.

Charlie

GaryNorthants
09-22-2008, 09:56 PM
Hiya, I have been rather busy with the daily painting thread lately but doubled up and did this as a daily.
Gary
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Sep-2008/106728-Tues23rdSept.jpg

Shirl Parker
09-22-2008, 11:17 PM
Mario, I love the intensity of your colors.

Gary, yours looks better than the reference.

Colorix
09-23-2008, 06:01 AM
Gary, its wonderful! The water gives us a road to follow all the way around the 'corner' in the bg, with an T-intersection to the right. Very crisp and clear aerial perspective -- every land-mass has its own space. By toning down the reeds, you made the depth the interesting thing.

Happy you chose this for a daily!

GaryNorthants
09-28-2008, 06:55 AM
Hi Charlie, Thank you for your comments. It was a lovely photo to work from especially for a landscape novice like me. The composition allowed me to see the depth and treat it a 4 distinct sections. It has certainly helped me understand aerial perspective a lot more.
Gary

CM Neidhofer
09-28-2008, 11:32 AM
Here's what I have so far. Thought I would at least post this WIP because I'm not sure if I'll get it finished by the end of the month. Needs some straightening and ovals need tweaking and background needs adjusting....well..you know...."In progress!!" lol Thanks for the great pics, Charlie.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Sep-2008/40633-100_0944.jpg

Christine

Colorix
09-28-2008, 01:32 PM
Christine, very nice start with bold and bright colours! Do post it in the regular place (Studio/Gallery) as it progresses, if you're not done by Tuesday. Or at least PM me with the finish, I'd so love to see it!

Charlie

Colorix
09-28-2008, 01:34 PM
Gary, glad my choice helped you. As I'm also learning landscapes, I figured that this one was fairly clear and un-ambigous, and not too difficult.

Charlie

robertsloan2
09-28-2008, 05:54 PM
I loved seeing all the variations on these photos, and I'm inspired. Going to try this today with one of them, not sure which one yet but I'll decide and then see what I come up with.

robertsloan2
09-28-2008, 06:40 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Sep-2008/70184-IMG_0004.jpg

ACEO size: 2 1/2" x 3 1/2"
Mont Marte Soft Pastels on
Dark Blue Canson Mi-Tientes (Smooth Side)

"Dawn."

I was surprised to keep going with the big sticks instead of using my pastel pencils for details. At first I thought I was just going to block in colors with the Mont Marte pastels and then detail with Cretacolor Pastel Pencils since I worked that small, but there are eight sharp corners on any square stick. So I just kept going and going with the sticks and really like how this came out.

I took a hint from the artist who did the island on black paper and decided to work light on dark, and really love how that worked.

Question: Can we still use these three photos after September even though the challenge is over? I loved all three of them and have some ideas that will take some time ruminating on them to create. Also ideas for other mediums with them. All three are so beautiful!

Colorix
09-29-2008, 07:50 AM
Robert, such a wonderful little gem you've painted! It is surprising how well the sticks work on itty-bitties, you don't actually need needle-sharp points on pencils. The dark paper makes the pastel dust shimmer like snow on it. You painting is clearly dawn, with slightly cooler colours. I love how you turned the sunset into a dawn! (A late October sunset in the cool light this far north, but still.) Way impressed by how you got them little ducks in, too.

Answer to question: Yes, you can use the photos after the end of the month. Just download them before the thread is moved away. (I could not get them into the Image Library, but I believe it is not working as it should. Anyway, they only exist in this thread right now.) If you do them in another medium, I'd love to get the link to the appropriate forum when/if you post, not that that is a must, but I'm so curious and delighted at what happens with my photos, how different artists interpret them. And if you do pastels, post them in Pastel STudio/Gallery, as with any pastel work.

Happy painting,
Charlie

robertsloan2
09-29-2008, 01:28 PM
Thank you, Charlie! Of course I'll come back and link them. All three are so great. It's too bad there's problems with the image reference library. It's one of the features I love about this site.

So glad you like my little Dawn! Things change when I draw from a reference, clouds move and colors shift, the world of my art becomes whatever it's going to become. I sometimes think they have a life of their own and the reference is just a starting point.

Colorix
09-29-2008, 04:20 PM
Things change when I draw from a reference,...I sometimes think they have a life of their own and the reference is just a starting point.

Just as it should be, making your own art out of it!

CM Neidhofer
09-30-2008, 03:43 PM
Ok, I'm in under the wire! Not completely happy with it, but I'm calling it finished. I've fought with the left side (as we look at it) of the back orange cup and I can't for the life of me get it the way I want. I guess I'm elipse challenged!! lol Anyway, here it is, good or bad.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Sep-2008/40633-Tea_Time_2.jpg
I see the saucer is a wonky too. This is the first work I've done in a couple months and I guess I got a little frustrated with it. I've been off work for a four day weekend and I'm in paint mode. I'm off to look for something else to tackle!! I did enjoy working on this though. Thanks, Charlie.

Christine

Colorix
09-30-2008, 04:55 PM
Christy, wow, it's wonderful! I see the coffee (espresso, double) cup and the tea mug every day, and you really caught, nailed, the colours of them. The background works wonderfully to pop the colours.

Hubby just passed by the computer, and exclaimed: "Look, there is our teapot". Mayn't sound like the most enthusiastic praise in the world, but I assure you that coming from him, it really is!

You have a really good sense of the light, and show it by separating light and darkness decisively. The shadow side of the orange objects were a tad tricky, as they are full of really dark green (from the parasol over the table), and yours are fine indeed. Luxurious rich rendering of the dark brown stained wood of the table in sunshine. And the subtle warm dulled pinkish of the tray is really sensitive. The ellipses of the teapot are excellent, it is a tad off in itself, as it is a handmade thing, so the knob isn't totally straight IRL.

I see in your sig banner that you are consistent in being somewhat of a 'drama queen' (am meaning that as high praise!) regarding colours and values, as is also clear in this still-life. Strong clear statements!

Charlie

CM Neidhofer
09-30-2008, 06:53 PM
Wow....thank you, Charlie!!! Drama Queen huh?? lol I would be the last person anyone would call a drama queen. Maybe this is the outlet for it, huh?? lol Thank you so much for your critique. I don't feel quite so bad about it now. And you're right. That knob on the teapot kept moving on me as I painted...now I know why!! :wave:

Christine