PDA

View Full Version : Untitled

person
09-04-2008, 05:58 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/09-04-2008/152143_hurricane_bay2.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/09-04-2008/152143_2sailboat_(2).jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/09-04-2008/152143_ripple_2(2).jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Untitled
Year Created:
Medium: Acrylic
Surface: Board
Dimension: 18X48
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
a sailboart in hurricane bay, which is in georgian bay, which is off of lake huron in Canada

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
What about the water could be better? or anything else really...

aspybey
09-04-2008, 08:10 PM
This is really good! I love the boat!
From what I see, it appears that the water is glass-like, no air or current or breeze. What bothers me is the reflections in the water are more mirror-like than water-like, they seem too exact. I feel like they should be softened some, maybe a few small ripples in them to show it's water reflections and the color of them toned down. It wouldn't take much to do this I don't think, you wouldn't really have to move anything.
I like the boat's reflections, but the rocks and greenery don't have any deliniation (sp?) between the water and the subject, maybe some light (very light) waves hitting the subject would help separate them. When the water hits the shoreline there should be something showing the separation there.

Lastly, the reflection of the sky hits the reflection of the trees really hard, I feel that should be softened some too. maybe the sky blended further into the trees.

Only my 2 cents- and it sounds like much critique but in actuality it's a great job done- these are honestly small things that could easily be fixed. Great Job!!!

Water is hard to paint but this is obviously water and I can feel the depth- really good job!

Bizkit
09-04-2008, 09:18 PM
Overall, a commendable job! I think you need to really soften up the reflective quality on the water, I can flip this over and see the same painting upside down. Put more blur on the water side and this will be supurb.

cbcarnell
09-04-2008, 10:13 PM
Great job. The greens could use a little variation (it's amazing what adding a little cadmium red light into your green mixture will do). Reflections are usually darker and duller than what they are reflecting. Hope to see more from you...but I do have one question about your avatar - are you picking Van Gogh's nose???:lol:

Corby
09-05-2008, 01:02 PM
I was excited that this has the appearance of gauche, even though it turns out to be acrylic. I also like the studied effect that the identical reflection approach creates. It would not be effective if the painting were to be a natural approach to the subject. But we are enjoying an emblematic view and so it works well. I am imagining that your horizon line is probably out of level. It looks level here, but then we notice that the painting is actually sitting at an angle...therefore when the painting is adjusted so as to sit straight, the horizon line will then be at an angle?

tony1
09-05-2008, 04:01 PM
Nice work. I'm interested in this as I'm just about to finish a lake reflection scene and have been fighting with how I want the reflection to be. It started as a mirror reflection but I decided against it for perspective reasons.

In real life I have seen mirror reflections on lakes, I mean identical. It's kind of strange if you're in a boat and out on one of these super calm water days. Your perspective etc, gets all messed up. Maybe it's not good to do that in a painting, but it's how it is. It's always been a personal nit of mine that mirror reflections do exist on lakes.

Anyway my only issue with your painting is you've mixed both mirror and ripple reflection. The boat seems ripple reflection while the majority is mirror. I'd pick one and stick with it. Unless you're trying to show the slight movement of the boat sending ripples across the lake. In which case they should cascade out to calmer the further from the boat.

Regardless, nice work.

Use Her Name
09-05-2008, 04:46 PM
Although reflections are (and can be) just as bright as the thing they reflect, it is more or less convention that makes artists dull them down a bit. My critique is that this looks more like an under painting, and an be brought to more of a finished conclusion with some more "working." The drawing is good and exact, but the painting is rather less than can be expected from such a good drawing. You might also look into using other colors and reflections for things like clouds, sky, leaves. The trees are a variety of shades of green, but I see no yellows, browns, blues, peaches, or any other colors. This goes for the other parts, water is often brown, orange, yellow, and other colors, not just blue and white. I think this a very good first stage of a painting, but it still does not seem done to me.

tali
09-05-2008, 05:33 PM
A good choice of compostion and format. I enjoy the colors you're using as well. You've been given very good suggestions and comments to contemplate. My personal reaction to the painting was that I find it a bit confusing, but my artistic son really likes it and gave it the ooooooooooh response! :)

person
09-08-2008, 01:35 AM
...but I do have one question about your avatar - are you picking Van Gogh's nose???:lol:

Yeah. :rolleyes: Yeah.
But hey, that was great with everyone saying things that help.
Ill try to too.