PDA

View Full Version : neutral grey?

zedek
09-04-2008, 03:12 PM
what colors exactly are used to make "neutral grey" like those from schmincke? Online, they almost look brown. If anyone owns these can you please give me some info.

ElsieH
09-04-2008, 03:52 PM
:wave:

Neutral grey and other names associated with grey/gray can be a bit confusing and can mean several things.

Maggie Price (and others), refer to grey/gray as a value not a color.
This is helpful in thinking about it, and how it can be best used.
As you look at sticks associated with gray in varous brands of pastels, you'll notice that some have a blue, or a red, or a green etc. element of them.
Having a variety of grays can help in creating interesting shadows, distant hills and mountains etc.

As you read books and view videos about using color in painting, you'll gain more understanding of the uses of a variety of gray pastels.

Donna Aldridge has a wonderful set of three DVD's on Color that explain this very well. Also, Nita Leland's book on Color is very helpful.

Hope this helps a little.:)

artist_pw
09-04-2008, 06:13 PM
Hi:

Also if you get a Mount Vision chart, the actual pigments used to make the colors are listed so you get a good idea about what is actually in each. Probably, most 'gray' pastels are made with a combination of titanium white and something like an ivory black pigment, or complementary colors like a green pigment and a red pigment and that might explain the nudges towards a particular color like blue. Using the neutrals adeptly in your paintings can really enhance the more chromatic colors.

doe
09-06-2008, 09:26 AM
Although I own some Schminke's, I don't have that color but I did look at the chart and they show 10 shades of that neutral grey. It does seem brownish and they could have made it with a mixture of umber or sienna and ultramarine blue, since it looks very earth tone. That would be the complements of orange and blue mixed.

Maggie P
09-06-2008, 11:29 AM
I think the grays made from complements are stronger colors. When I use a gray made from black and white, it always looks dead to me.

Great American Artworks has a nice set of grays made from complements. There are good grays in many other brands but they don't always sell them as "gray sets."