PDA

View Full Version : Question re Gallery wrapped Canvas'

~~Kathleen
09-04-2008, 02:21 PM
My work area is very small. Presently I am working on a Gallery Wrapped Canvas of a flower.
The canvas is large, and my problem is when I come to the edges of the painting (where it wraps around) how do I paint the edges? There is so little room to turn and twist the canvas.
Do you turn the canvas on its edge paint it, and let it dry and go on to the next side?
Maybe I am too impatient for this type of canvas!:wink2:
~~Kathleen

mickeyw3340
09-04-2008, 03:13 PM
Kathleen,
I am working on my first one though it is only 11 X 14. I am trying to structure things so as to have to paint as little detail on the edge as possible, mostly solid washes, except for the horizon. I have been able to handle it up to this point without having to turn it, although I haven't gotten to the lower edge yet. Good luck. I think it makes them look so professional. This one iis a wedding present for my niece, so I am being most careful.

gaykir
09-04-2008, 03:16 PM
Kathleen this has been discussed here at length in the past. The upshot is a split decision. Some continue the painting around the side while others prefer to choose a color from the painting and paint the edges. I used to continue the painting all the way around the edges (which gets difficult at times) but after the previous discussion, I tried just painting the edges black or whatever the majority color is and everyone seems happy - no complaints so now I rarely wrap the painting around the edges any more. I am sure others will have a different opinion.

Bizkit
09-04-2008, 03:20 PM
Im with Gayle on this......It really for me depends on my mood, sometimes if the painting is pretty simple I just go around the edges with the painting, others Ive just painted them black. On "Lick It" I painted the edges a complimentary color of Blue and it turned out very cool looking, I loved and plan on carrying that out again.
As far as the "How" to question. I might paint a bit on the edges one night and not do it again for a day or so then continue on again when Im at that area or have that color out again. Preference thats all, Ive painted the edges first and last before......

Bill_E
09-04-2008, 04:33 PM
For what its worth Kathleen, I like the edges painted but have struggle with space issues too. My biggest challenge has been proper lighting on the sides. One edge always seems to be in the shadows, or lit with a different temperature of light. It makes it hard to keep the colour and values consistent, let alone the details. I'm increasingly inclined to paint the edges the dominant colour of the painting so that it is less visible. Seems to me though, that the subject matter dictates the approach. A portrait with a "fuzzy" background is far different from a street scene with brick walled buildings...I'm beginning to like frames more and more :)

edtree
09-05-2008, 06:31 AM
:wave: Hi Kathleen!

I have been painting right around the edges, but have to let the painting dry completely, then turn it over to do the bottom edge. The top and two sides, I do right along with the front though it's less detailed. For a landscape, I don't usually even look at the edges when I'm painting, just let my brush continue whatever color is on my brush over the edge. I'm thinking though about trying a solid color as has been suggested because the frame is going to cover at least some of it anyway.

At a recent show I was at, the juror had a couple of pieces displayed. She used wrapped canvas; it was interesting to me to see that hers looked as if she paid no mind whatsoever to the edges. Parts were totally unpainted and other places looked as if she's spilled paint on them. I'm not sure if it was intentional or not, but the edges had a very unplanned look. I got the impression that this may have been part of her style. Not sure though.

Hope some of the above at least remotely answered your question.:lol:

Elizabeth

~~Kathleen
09-05-2008, 11:20 AM
Thanks all.
I think I will wait 'till I am done as Elizabeth suggested, and do them then. If they don't look good I can always do the edges to match the background then.
There are just so many possibilities, that I may let the painting decide for me:lol:.
~~Kathleen

PETE K
09-05-2008, 12:59 PM
Kathleen I paint the sides as I go the 2 sides and top. I don not put as much detial in it's more loose when I remember. I have been doing more oils lately and thats where my problem arises. waiting 4 to 5 days to turn it over to finish the bottom and trying to mix the paint again to match some what. when doing acrylics I find that the short drying time is not a problem.

PETE