PDA

View Full Version : Headache!

NDee
09-04-2008, 12:30 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Sep-2008/72528-Scattered_Showers.jpg

This landscape has been giving me a headache for a week now and I need some new eyes before I throw it away or paint over it. The ridge line is an actual scene in this area but the sky was done somewhat from memory and I think that's where the problem lies! I was trying to capture that scattered showers kind of day when you can see the rain coming out of the clouds miles away and the sun breaking through making shadows on the mountains and it all looks so lame now. Help me out with anything that strikes you!

Bizkit
09-04-2008, 12:52 PM
Well......Im not a landscape painter so I shall have to make the following recomendations.

1. Post this in the landscapes forum..I think you'll find a wealth of knowledge on the topic in that area.

2. Post it in the Critique area as well.......If your looking for open honest critique on how to improve this painting that a good a place as any to find out whats working and what is not...

I think for me the "main" thing that sticks out are the clouds. I think for a thunder shower there just too bright. Having lived in NC,FL,and LA anytime I see these types of clouds there much darker than the rest of the sky. Your clouds in some areas are actually lighter......I think this will work once you tweak out the sky a bit more.

NM Painter
09-04-2008, 01:00 PM
Don't give up on this! It's a great start.
It's really all about the sky and clouds, so I'd suggest trying a deeper range of values plus getting some reflected ground colors and more modeling into the clouds. The clouds that the rain is falling from will always be darker and heavier than the others. They will also be more massive as forms. Hope this is helpful. Try checking reference photos for cloud images.

~~Kathleen
09-04-2008, 01:26 PM
Nancy, I live right beside the Canadian Rockies, so I know the clouds that you are trying to paint.
Below is a photo I took from the Car on a very sultry day with storms all around us, and white clouds above.
If you want a full sized photo I can send you one.
(the larger size shows how to get the falling rain in the distance much better.)
~~Kathleen
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Sep-2008/92567-headache.JPG

NDee
09-04-2008, 05:16 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Sep-2008/72528-Scattered_Showers2.jpg

:clap: Thank you all so much! It's not perfect but it sure is a lot better! This is why I come here for help. You guys rock! I can't tell you how much this supposed to be for fun landscape had gotten me down and now I feel like there's hope. If you have any more suggestions, keep 'em coming! Thank you, thank you!

~~Kathleen
09-04-2008, 05:59 PM
Actually Nancy, if you want the effect of the falling rain in the distance with this type of cloud, it is almost better to bring the cloud right down to the earth with a dry brushing technique.You cannot see the rain falling just the appearance of the rain falling and the very low cloud it is falling from.
Am I making sense?Here is an example from the pic that I posted earlier. The actual clouds and rainfall was about 10 miles away.
~~Kathleen
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Sep-2008/92567-headache1111.JPG

Bizkit
09-04-2008, 07:41 PM
Look'n good but i still would like to see them clouds and that rain a bit darker!!!!! Keep on going, your doing a wonderful job with this...!!

CamiTampa
09-04-2008, 11:47 PM
I think the rain side of the painting needs to be darker, more ominous than the right side. Rain is tough. I've tried it on numerous paintings only to abandon it. Keep trying, you're off to a good start.
Cami

barsha
09-05-2008, 12:15 AM
it's no headache! so soothing it is. Cures headache:)

edtree
09-05-2008, 06:59 AM
:wave: I think this is well worth continuing with! My first thought was, it is unbalanced from left to right. Better balance could be achieved just by the intensifying of the contrasts, meaning, brighter brights on the right, where the weather is clearing, and more ominous clouds to the left as has been suggested. You could also try raising the hills/mountains just a tad on our right. The landscape below would follow what's happening in the sky too. Less intense yellow on the land strip to our left, for example.

Can't wait to see what you do next with this.:D

Elizabeth

PS: BTW, love the sky reference you offered, Kathleen! Lots of drama! :)

NM Painter
09-05-2008, 02:13 PM
It's getting there... keep going! It's going to be great.
I 'ditto' Elizabeth's suggestion.

NDee
09-05-2008, 09:07 PM
I like that idea of bringing the land and grasses on the right into more prominance. It would give the painting more balance. The clouds I saw that day were not very close to the horizon and you could see the rain coming out of it. My interpretation is much more striated than what one would actually see but I didn't want it to look like a cloud. I love that reference photo by the way Kathleen! Clouds are beautiful and elusive to capture on canvas! I'll be able to work on this next week and I'll let you all see what's changed. Thank you all!

deadsam
09-05-2008, 09:31 PM
more colors :)
maybe looking in a mirror helps too, I do that when I get stumped.
So far so good :)

VermillionArt
09-05-2008, 11:08 PM
Lighten the lights and darken the darks! That is my mantra. If you have the shapes, then you need the values.