PDA

View Full Version : Oil Pastels and Traditional Oil Paints

MChesleyJohnson
09-04-2008, 06:41 AM
Is it wise to use oil pastel in an underpainting that is followed by an application of traditional oils?

I've been experimenting. I block in my design with oil pastels on a rigid gessoed panel; I follow this with a carefully applied wash of Turpenoid to make the application of oil pastel more even; and then I paint on top of the still-wet oil pastel with traditional oil paints.

Pat Isaac
09-04-2008, 04:28 PM
Not a good plan as the oil pastel never really dries. It hardens and cures, but remains flexible. The other way around is fine. I often put an oil base under my OP paintings.

Pat

MChesleyJohnson
09-04-2008, 07:20 PM
Thanks, Pat! I do use a rigid panel to work on, so perhaps that will help.

MChesleyJohnson
09-05-2008, 08:49 AM
I checked with Gamblin, whose paints I use. They say:

Oil pastels are made with pigments bound in wax and a non-drying vegetable oil. If the oil pastel was thinned with OMS to the point where the vegetable oil was dissolved completely, leaving a thin wash of pigment behind, there may not be a problem painting oils on top of this. However, if the oil pastels were used alone, the non-drying oil binder may be trapped underneath the drying oil paint layers. This could cause adhesion problems in the future of the work.

Pat Isaac
09-05-2008, 09:30 AM
Thanks for that info, Michael. That was what I had always thought as OPs are made with an inert non drying oil. However, it is good to know that if you thin it enough you can use it.

Pat

MChesleyJohnson
09-05-2008, 07:11 PM
And I really like working with them in the underpainting stage. They seem to allow more control - almost like drawing - than a brush does.

Hazelnice
05-29-2010, 12:30 AM
thanks for that wonderful info. keep up the good work :D