PDA

View Full Version : Mustang - with Golden Opens

paintedhorses
09-04-2008, 12:05 AM
I bought a selection of the Golden Open acrylics to see how they work, and I am sold on them! Darn, I've used Liquitex for years, and I didn't think I would ever change. Hmmm, they work well together, too.

Anyway, this is the first piece I've done with them. It's 9x12 on Ampersand panel. "The Survivor"

Foxyheart2002
09-04-2008, 03:37 AM
The Survivor. ;) Great title, great horse!

sonita
09-04-2008, 07:11 AM
Oh wow, the detail on the horse is wonderful and you did an amazing job on everything! Seems like you were totally in your element with the golden open brand :) ..I really like your painting, the horse has so much character!!
Soni

arl
09-04-2008, 08:43 AM
Great rendering of the horse.

LavenderFrost
09-04-2008, 11:10 AM
Nice work!

susme48
09-04-2008, 01:02 PM
Great job!!

Aires
09-04-2008, 04:37 PM
:clap: Your horse painting is an excellent recommendation for Golden Opens! Bravo

I also have a large collection of Luiqitex Acrylic Paints; would you be so kind as give a comparison on the two brands as you experienced it after having used solely Liquitex? :confused: I'd be very interested in your findings. There are many things I like about Liquitex, their tubes and lids, their color choices and mediums for instance. But I am still open to finding an acrylic that is more like an oil paint in use. I guess I am still looking for something that acts more like an oil paint....

lilbelle
09-04-2008, 04:54 PM
What a fantastic looking horse! I love the mane. Well done!

paintedhorses
09-04-2008, 10:45 PM
Wow, thanks everyone, for your kind words. This horse just fascinated me for quite a while before I tackled a painting of him.

Aires, I still use the Liquitex and it blends well with the Golden Open. I just have to keep them moist on my covered palette. It's hard to leave Liquitex, and it's partly because they cover so well, the lids save paint for me, and I know exactly how they work and blend. But I do like the Golden Open quality that allows more open time to paint, more like oil, and yet they dry within a few hours to overnight (depending on the color), so I could go back to the piece more quickly. Some colors of the Golden Open did not cover as completely as the Liquitex does, but it's not a problem. I hope, tho, that Liquitex will come out with something similar in the near future (I bet they do, too, for the competition aspect of the business).

Thanks again, Jeri

CamiTampa
09-04-2008, 11:41 PM
You definitly know enough about horses to paint them and paint them well. I just think that this painting is harsh, mean even. That may be your intent, so this may be a useless comment. Again, it is quit good.
Cami

edtree
09-05-2008, 06:45 AM
:wave: Very well done! I love the title too! The horse does look like he/she has had a rough life but that's one of the things I liked about it. All this talk about Opens makes me want to try them and seeing results like this convinces me even more! Glad to know they mix with the other acrylics too. :D

Elizabeth

BeeCeeEss
09-05-2008, 07:22 PM
Very nice painting! I like the title, too. This horse looks tough and independent--like he's been through a rough time but survived it on his own terms. I like the fine tendrils of mane and his roughened coat. Did you have any trouble painting the fine hairs in the mane with the new Golden Opens? I really like your handling of the sky/background, too. Very nice.

If you have been a long user of Liquitex paints, have you tried their Slow-Dri Blending Medium? I just discovered it about a few months ago. It really extends the blending time of your paints. I use it with my regular Golden Fluid Acrylics and it works great! It could be a way to continue using your Liquitex paints in the same painting as your new Golden Open paints with more relaxed blending time in both. I don't know if it would work with the Golden Open paints in a direct mixture. It may prevent the paint from drying at all! But, when used with regular acrylic paints, it's a great help in extending the blending time when you need it.

I have also recently been trying the new line of Golden Open acrylics and think they are wonderful! Speaking as a oil painter (most of my life) who has always found acrylic's fast drying time to be an annoyance to be worked around, these new Golden Open paints are heavenly. They truly are the closest thing I've found to working with oil paints. They don't dry out on my palette. They stay wet and blendable on my canvas through my entire painting session (like oils). And I love the fact that they don't dry out on my brushes before I'm done painting. They let me relax and concentrate on the painting, not on misting my palette, rinsing and re-wetting my brushes, etc.

They don't quite have as much covering power as some other acrylics, but I generally have to work in more than one layer with any acrylics to get the coverage I need, so this is not a problem. They are also a bit thinner than standard body acrylics, but that's OK by me since I'm used to working with fluid acrylics. They are about the consistency of Liquitex Soft Body Acrylics.

For anyone still thinking about trying the new Golden Open paints because you'd like your acrylics to be a bit more like oil paints, do try them! They are a wonder!

Beverly

CSimchik
09-05-2008, 09:47 PM
Amazing!
I have not been on in some time and read a good review this morning of the Golden Open acrylics. I thought I would log in and see, and lo and behold the first post was about this paint. I am a user of Liquitex for over 5 yrs and have tried the slo-blending medium. However for me it interferes with the texture-I believe. I use it but not exclusively. I did not find it in the craft stores locally but did find a pretty good price on D. Blick. If you say you can mix it with the regular Liquitex then I will buy several different colors . Did you buy the 4oz size? Coverage will be questioned but it will be fun to experiment! I read the drying time should be 30 days if you will want to varnish.

Candy

deadsam
09-05-2008, 09:48 PM
beautiful work, gawd I can't wait to move and get my open goldens everyone seems to love them

paintedhorses
09-05-2008, 11:03 PM
Thanks, Cami. I know the horse looks tough. He's an older stallion and yes, he's lived a tough life. I guess that's why I called him a survivor, and I wanted to paint him as he is, rugged and tough.

Thanks, Elizabeth!

Beverly, you said just what I was trying to show about this horse. Thank you! I've used Liquitex Heavy Body acrylics for about 22 years. I've never had much luck with any additives but water. I learned to use them with only water, and I'm so used to it now, I would have quite a time changing that. You are right that they don't have the covering power (at least in some of the colors), but I didn't find that a problem. They are so like the oils I used to use that I felt pretty comfortable with them right away.

Candy, I bought the 2 oz. tubes. That's the only size/option there was in the art store.

Deadsam, thanks for your comments.

Edit: Beverly, I forgot to mention that I didn't have any problem with the hair tendrils, any more than usual, anyway. The paint cooperated well.

BeeCeeEss
09-06-2008, 09:35 PM

Beverly, you said just what I was trying to show about this horse. Thank you! I've used Liquitex Heavy Body acrylics for about 22 years. I've never had much luck with any additives but water. I learned to use them with only water, and I'm so used to it now, I would have quite a time changing that. You are right that they don't have the covering power (at least in some of the colors), but I didn't find that a problem. They are so like the oils I used to use that I felt pretty comfortable with them right away.

I was pretty much the same about using my Golden Fluid Acrylics with nothing but water and whatever techniques I could come up with with brushes, etc. to get the results I wanted. I hated using any kind of mediums or additives. I tried the retarders and hated them big time! But I missed the wonderful, slow blending times my oil paints had and always wished I could achieve something like that with acrylics. That's when I happened to discover the Liquitex Slow-Dri Blending Medium. An art supply catalog I had mentioned that it was "newly reformulated" so I gave it a try. I was astonished at the difference it made when I was trying to do soft blending in large areas like skies, backgrounds, etc. I don't use it in everything I do, but it is helpful when needed. And, like any medium, it does increase the transparency of the paint the more you use in the mixture.

About 1 month after discovering the Slow-Dri Blending Medium, I read some announcements about Golden's new line of Golden Open acrylics. I was very cautious and skeptical. I've heard these kinds of promises from acrylic makers so many times before and I've always been disappointed in the products. Not this time! Golden Opens live up to all my hopes and expectations! I don't use any of the few mediums that Golden makes for these paints. I just use them straight from the tubes with little, if any, water added. My first reaction to doing some slow, smooth blends with these new paints was simply, "WOW!"

I will still use my regular fluid acrylics and sometimes get some help from the Slow-Dri Blending Medium, but I think I'll be using the Golden Opens more and more. They really are something special.

Beverly

paintedhorses
09-07-2008, 10:39 PM
Does anyone else agonize over a piece when you 'think' it's finished?

I showed this to an artist friend of mine (who is an excellent artist and has a talent for pointing to just what is bothering me about a piece) and she mentioned the greenery on the horse's shoulder-that it draws the eye and isn't really needed. That just validated what I felt, so I painted it out.

Here is the amended piece. It's now in a frame and finished.

Thanks again, everyone, Jeri