GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: sensual
Year Created: 2002
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 16x20
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
This is the first of a new series I am working on.
About innocence and sensuality....This isn't the truest photograph to the work. There is actually more contrast in the wings....

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
I am new to this community, so any comments would be appreciated. I have never had my paintings critiqued before....

Paintonbrush
07-24-2002, 11:24 PM
Reminds me of Deeva ;-)
thats a compliment.
nice variation. Imagination, good for you
Welcome

laniers
07-24-2002, 11:47 PM
The composition and idea are good. I would love to see a more directional light source and more detail in the wings

Aselka
07-25-2002, 12:26 AM
I love composition and whole idea of this painting. I think that behinds need some work-depth, more flesh tones to show roundness, shadows, etc. ( unde battocks, sides) The same with wings.

Good luck,

Aselka

angela
07-25-2002, 10:59 AM
Thank, guys! I have just recently started working with the figure, so all of your comments are helpful. I do need to get better photos of my work, so they represent well. "Sensual" actually has more detail and contrast in real life. I am going to get better photos and post them!
Thanks again!

orchidlover6
07-25-2002, 11:15 AM
nice work and welcome to WC. I agree with all the above and understand how a painting can lose detail in scanning or digital duplication.

jerryW
07-25-2002, 11:21 AM
as a painting, this really suffers a lack of composition.
several ideas are combined and a figure - emblem - or motif has emerged.

the color is fine, the contrast fine,
we must ask ourselves what makes a painting work
what makes it more than a symbol of something else.
more than a tongue in cheek joke.

sometimes the effort to create something that might be amazing may lead to the removing clothing or display of sexual parts(nude=>shocking=>memorable) or adding wings (angellic=>religious=>god=> memorable).

those approaches are like finding fools gold,
please be careful.
and paint lots, you have talent!

Elankat
07-25-2002, 11:54 AM
There's some nice negative space going in this, but I'd tend to echo the comments already given. More shading and modeling on the figure would help provide depth. I'd also suggest at giving more thought to the wing attachment. Right now, it's just wings blended into the back. This is a typical problem for people drawing fantasy characters. Try to imagine the actual anatomy of an angel. Would the wings just fuse in like that were melted on? The only spot they are really looking "attached" is at the very base because there is a hint of flesh actually growing into the wing. Think of the wings as a living extension of the flesh and not just wings smacked on a figure. They will be far more convincing if reworked.

Most importantly, consider looking long and hard at the composition of this piece. The actual composition could use help to give it "punch." Right now, it is too symmetrical and lacks details to give it that punch. The entire interest of the piece is being held in the negative space and the fact that it's a naked bottom.

Last item would be to look at your balance from top to bottom. Your interesting negative spaces and focals are in the bottom half of the canvas. There just isn't as much to pull or keep the viewer in the top half.