PDA

View Full Version : Landscape (study)

AndyMcC
09-03-2008, 01:53 PM
This is my latest painting, I only finished it a few hours ago.
I haven't really done any landscapes in acrylics, at least no original works.
I painted this as a stop gap really, as I had planned on doing another figurative painting but lost motivation and so decided to do a quick study.

The painting is of local farmland but more of a sky study really, it was painted from a photo I took months ago while walking the dog. I have real problems painting greens and browns and I think after finishing this I'm going to try doing some more landscape studies to practice this skill.

In total it took about 2-3 hours to do and is 10x14" on Galeria acrylic paper.

The photo doesn't show all the detail or colours as I took it on my phone but you should get the feel of the painting from it.

C&C welcome and appreciated as always :)

~~Kathleen
09-03-2008, 02:42 PM
The one word that came to mind when I first saw this is "Pastoral"
This is a very pleasing landscape, and one wants to follow the path with you!
Sometimes simplicity is best, in this case it is wonderful!:thumbsup:
~~Kathleen

Sharrm
09-03-2008, 03:12 PM
I'm with Kathleen on the word Pastoral,......... and serene and nature on a summer's day. I really like this study! Your sky is looking wonderful. Did you use a medium to get the 3D effect with some of the clouds??

Darla
09-03-2008, 03:33 PM
I think calling this a "landscape" is insulting to those wonderful clouds! :clap:

edtree
09-03-2008, 08:24 PM
:wave: Hi Andy!

This is a real beauty! The sky and clouds really ARE stealing this show though your greens and browns look great too. I think you should pursue more landscape studies. You're taking to it very well! :thumbsup: :D

Elizabeth

OkeeKat
09-03-2008, 10:19 PM
Great sky!! love the clouds.. the landscape.. is very well done too!!

CamiTampa
09-03-2008, 10:27 PM
Great sky. I also have trouble with flat broad areas of green pasture. You did a nice job.
Cami

Margaret 59
09-03-2008, 11:57 PM
I love big skies and the farmland really sets it off. Nice one!

barsha
09-04-2008, 12:41 AM
only a word....BEAUTIFUL!

Landale
09-04-2008, 01:05 AM
This is great! I like it very much. Nice work.

Andy

arl
09-04-2008, 08:47 AM
Great overall composition and colours.

noodle1
09-04-2008, 09:19 AM
Very nicely done! I'm not too comfortable with landscapes myself. Think this offers a nice flow and feeling overall, well done, do more!

Elaine

AndyMcC
09-04-2008, 09:39 AM
Thanks everyone for the comments, I'm planned a to do more landscapes if I can find any photos in my collection, if not I'll go out and take some :)

Sharron: I use Winsor & Newton Finity paints which enable both thin & impasto painting.

sonita
09-04-2008, 10:16 AM
This is such a harmonious piece of work...I absolutely love what you have created and could look at it forever. Sometimes less IS really more :)
Soni

Linee
09-04-2008, 10:17 AM
So very pretty and painterly! A winner in my book.

LavenderFrost
09-04-2008, 10:45 AM
Wow, you're a fast a painter. And all the colours look great!

NM Painter
09-05-2008, 02:32 PM
I "ditto" the above praise!
It's really interesting the way the low distant clouds are in front of the very distant hill. They are beautifully modeled, and the scale change as they recede is perfect. You might want to consider putting just a little faint reflection of some ground colors in the bottoms of the closest ones, and giving them slightly stronger edges to reinforce their position in the foreground.
The blue in the sky is nicely graduated from light to dark, and might be just a bit warmer (more pale yellow in it) at the horizon.
The greens are lovely and recede very nicely into the distance with their reduced intensity.
Hope this is helpful.

uniquepainter
09-05-2008, 08:26 PM
I, like the others, admire your acrylic landscapes. I paint mostly landscapes (but not all), and when I started with acrylics last year, I found the way you can replicate natural textures with drying acrylic (ground, foliage, clouds) quite remarkable. Please see linked example of one called Desert Flow-- http://www.orbisplanis.com-a.googlepages.com/gallery7-orbisplanisonlineartgallery
(If link doesn't work, sorry, I'm still figuring out WC tools)