PDA

View Full Version : Fedora

Carey Griffel
09-02-2008, 07:24 PM
Yes, I have gone to the dark side and I am posting here in acrylics. :)

This was done because I needed to get a feel for how the acrylics I am using for a mural mix together and dry. After doing this, I was intrigued by the ease of layering and quick drying, of course, as compared with oils, but I'm also reminded that I really don't like the plasticky look of acrylics in general, etc etc, though this will no doubt *not* be my last acrylic painting even so. Especially if I have paint left over from the mural.

Anyway. Just thought I'd share. :)

Indy's stuff
approx 7x9?
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Sep-2008/32203-Fedora_acrylic.jpg

Lulu
09-02-2008, 08:00 PM
Ooooo careful, you might get hooked on acrylics!:p
Love the loose brush strokes - Great painting. Love the fedora (oil) on your site too, especially with the additions.

~~Kathleen
09-02-2008, 08:07 PM
I am nor sure why we are the dark side, but it is a wonderful rendition of a Fedora.
~~Kathleen

id-art
09-02-2008, 08:43 PM
Well done! Nice study.

mpattie
09-02-2008, 08:57 PM
Very, very nice. Love the composition.
Pat

OkeeKat
09-02-2008, 09:38 PM
Excellent painting!!

Linee
09-02-2008, 11:43 PM
Love the dark values in the rope, and the softer lighter ones in the hat. Color works great. Don't forget a nice varnish finish to help replace the "plasticky look" with a more finished glow. I tend to use more gloss varnish on more formal paintings, and semi-gloss or matt on casual scenes such as this.

Bizkit
09-03-2008, 12:20 AM
Nice work with this!!! I would like to add just for the educational value, please keep and eye on perspective, the fedora looks a bit skewed...aside from that very nice!! Keep up the good work!

Lulu
09-03-2008, 03:38 AM
Perspective looks okay to me Mike, it is tilted forward because the back is sitting on the rope.

Carey Griffel
09-03-2008, 05:02 AM
Thanks for the very warm reception, all!

Lulu, lol, well anything is possible! I was pleased that I was able to get looser brush strokes here. Thanks for taking a look at my other pictures. :)

Kathleen, oh I'm just teasing, actually I'm probably just defecting from the dark side here. :p

Thanks so much for the encouragement, Bob, Pat, and Kathie!

Linda, good point! I am looking forward to seeing how a varnish will change it (once I can get my hands on one) as that's something I've never done with acrylics as yet.

Bizkit, thanks! You are right about the perspective, it is a tad bit wonky, I didn't mention it first as I wondered if anyone else would catch it. I must have moved while painting it. The center line on the fedora should actually be rotated slightly down and to the left.

Just realized I didn't mention critiques are *most* welcome...they are! So thanks.

~!Carey

timelady
09-03-2008, 06:15 AM
I seem to have a theme tune running through my head now.
You've already gotten good comments, so welcome to the dark side! (we have more fun ;))

Tina.

LavenderFrost
09-03-2008, 12:33 PM
The dark side seems fitting considering the way acrylics like to darken on us, lol.

Nice work!

MadWickedStiner
09-03-2008, 03:27 PM
I don't know what paintings you've seen in Acrylics... but I haven't seen any that look "plasticky".

This is a myth perpetuated by someone (I don't know who, probably gallery owners)... that seems to stick on some people... but if you paint with high quality artist paints by golden, liquitex, etc... you will have a VERY hard time differentiating paintings in acrylics and oils...
-Brian

Carey Griffel
09-03-2008, 04:28 PM
Thanks Tina. :D And you know, in some ways I think you are absolutely right. (Shh, don't tell anyone I said that!)

LavenderFrost, thanks! lol, yes true!

I don't know what paintings you've seen in Acrylics... but I haven't seen any that look "plasticky".
Erm, how 'bout my own? And anything I've ever done personally in acrylics.
This is a myth perpetuated by someone (I don't know who, probably gallery owners)... that seems to stick on some people... but if you paint with high quality artist paints by golden, liquitex, etc... you will have a VERY hard time differentiating paintings in acrylics and oils...
-Brian
Well, it might be a myth to you but it isn't to me as I have personal experience in the matter. ;) However, you are quite right in that I have seen paintings myself when on first viewing I believed they were oil and then learned (though usually figured out on my own) that they were in fact acrylic. Hey, I'm not here to make you defend your chosen media. Just because it's not always my cup of tea doesn't mean I have anything against it or think anything less of it. I'm just very particular about my tea. (Erm, I mean that literally, I love a good chai!)

Anyway, you nice folks have encouraged me. :)

Thanks.

~!Carey

Raymo
09-03-2008, 04:42 PM
Oh think nothing of it. Feel free to drop by and insult us anytime...:lol:

Carey Griffel
09-03-2008, 04:49 PM
rofl!

(I hope you're just kidding. :D )

~!Carey

~~Kathleen
09-03-2008, 05:36 PM
Laughing @ Ray!:wink2:
~~Kathleen
who finally figured out what The Dark side is?

objectivistartist
09-03-2008, 05:55 PM
interesting subject matter here - had thought of using similar in a Harnett styled 'door' piece...

Aires
09-03-2008, 06:00 PM
:clap: Glad we caught you straddling the fence! You should do it more often, it might become addictive! This is from one fence straddler to another...:)
Nice fedora, Cary.

Carey Griffel
09-03-2008, 06:07 PM
Thanks, Robert! What an interesting thought...hmm...

Aires, thanks! You are sooo right about the addiction. :D I have been branching out of late and finding it very freeing!

~!Carey

Raymo
09-03-2008, 07:37 PM
Just make sure the fence isnt barbed wire....:wink2:

HOllyLL
09-03-2008, 08:15 PM
nice painterly style!!

edtree
09-03-2008, 08:50 PM
:wave: I like it! Painterly, with a nice mix of textures and a good color scheme. I didn't notice the wonky hat and I'm guessing not many would. :D

About acrylics - I was at a show recently and was surprised at how few oil works there were and how many acrylics! I'm not sure if my neck of the woods would be considered a universal example, but I get the feeling it's catching on. Glad to hear you're branching out and giving acrylics a fair shake. :thumbsup:

Elizabeth

JamieWG
09-03-2008, 09:04 PM
I love the warm color palette, Carey! Nice job on the whip. Be careful with that thing! :evil: LOL....

Jamie

arl
09-04-2008, 08:53 AM
Great work and overall composition.

Tiasa
09-04-2008, 02:28 PM
I had to back-track to check this one out! I thought I recognized the name of an "oil painter!" Welcome to the acrylics forum! (Yes, I confess I have visited the oil forum!)

Nice painting--well done. I like the colors and the painterly look of it.

Aires
09-04-2008, 04:25 PM
:clap: Hey, Tiasa, confession is good for the soul! I've even been found visiting the oil pastel forum with worthwhile results - some methods and ideas are helpful no matter which medium you prefer.

Raymo, I appreciate your humorous wit! The only barbs in fence straddling is when you first try a new medium - after that it just broadens ones perspective and as Cary said, is very freeing. What a loss to miss exploring other mediums. I prefer oils for painting on wood paneling as it has much better coverage than any of the acrylics; on the other hand, I prefer acrylic many times when I want quicker results and quick clean up. So I remain a vence straddler. I'll probably never be an addict of oil pastels but I am pleased to find in their forum things I can use in better portraying trees. Bring 'em on - we can profit from all of them even if we don't choose them as number 1, right?

As for Cary, I hope this is not your last venture into the land of acrylics. My bet is that you will like it and become another fence straddler.

Raymo
09-04-2008, 05:28 PM
I've tried the oils, still have em. Didnt care for the mess or clean up. It was like "ok, what am I gonna do with this thinner now" ? I took it outside and dumped it out and set it afire, lol. Last thing I wanted was for it to be in the house. I admit I do have a yen to try it again. I love watching Heiner Hertling do alla prima on his show. He gets great results.

Aires
09-04-2008, 09:26 PM
Hey, Raymo - you should read up on the oil forums. Painting without solvents is a very popular topic and talked to death! You'll find you can enjoy the positive side of oils without having anything flammable around, really, trust me! Be careful - first thing you know you'll find yourself joining the band of fence straddlers. If so, I'll be one of the first to say welcome aboard. No reason we can't enjoy the best of both worlds now, is there?

:clap: Cary, it looks like your jumping into the acrylic arena opened up a can of worms, er- excuse me, a whole new thread!

*Violet*
09-05-2008, 12:21 PM
welcome to the acrylics side carey !! ... i think your painting is lovely ... nice and painterly with it's soft hues ... interesting subject .... nicely composed ....

as for c&c ... what stikes me is the way the brim of the fedora *kisses* the whip ... i myself would give it the impression of going a bit more behind the whip ... just a tad ... and ... again, to me ... the stroke of bright yellow in the background on the right seems out of place and doesn't add to the painting but kind of distracts the eye too much ....

Lady Carol
09-05-2008, 12:44 PM
:lol: Funny...that is what we think about oils. :D You seem to have survived quite successfully by coming to the dark side. Lovely work.