PDA

View Full Version : Painting Thick Assistance Please

JamesDFarrow
09-02-2008, 04:37 PM
O.K. for those of you who paint thick I have a problem that I can't figure out.

I paint thick (ridges, bumps, crevaces, etc...). Not a complaint as I really like it this way. Now I will give an example of where I run into difficulty.

I paint a branch with the above ridges, bumps, etc... Then drybrush, etc... Fine. Now I want to paint a bird standing on the branch with his back to me. So his tail covers up part of the branch. The tail feathers are straight. But I can't seem to paint a straight line over ridges, bumps, etc... The branch surface isn't flat so the tail feathers keep coming out crooked. I hope you know what I mean.

Anyone here, who paints thick, figured a way around this?

Thanks,

James :)

~~Kathleen
09-02-2008, 06:15 PM
If you plan ahead, where the bird will sit, just scrape the excess paint from that area.....
Or, can you not cut or scrape some of the dried paint away?
I have done both of these with quite a bit of success.
I have a pen knife that is very sharp for just this purpose.
Be very careful though, one slip and the canvas is slashed.
~~Kathleen

Bizkit
09-02-2008, 06:37 PM
I think like Kat said, some pre-planning might do you some good here. You could always mask of the areas you dont want so heavy or Thick in your case.

JamesDFarrow
09-02-2008, 07:37 PM
Thanks!

I do pre-plan the whole thing. I know what, generally, will go where.
I have tried levaing it flatter in the areas that I know will be covered with something else but that has its difficulties as well. Can't always judge acurately and it may be to much flat area or not enough.

The knife (I have an exacto set) might work better. Will try that as well.

James :)

id-art
09-02-2008, 08:41 PM
One technique may not be appropriate for all subjects.

I've also built up the area to match that of the little ridge, the area of the bird in this case, with modeling paste and/or gel medium.

Tex Tural
09-03-2008, 05:05 AM
Planning ahead is the best method, but when it doesn't work out, as in this case, then creating a level surface the way to go.

One final option is to create the bird on poly plastic sheeting (4 mil stuff from the hardware store) or at least the basic idea of the bird, let it dry on the plastic and then peel it off and use some gel to glue it on the artwork. This way you can glob on the gel for gluing which in turn raises the bird and keeps it even on the surface.

edrickart
09-03-2008, 05:31 AM
I agree with the opening comments, but you can also "flatten" the paint as it dries with some small, flat bladed instrument. Maybe a small pallette knife, or a small flat bladed screwdriver would do the job?

Hope this helps some.

Regards,
Paul