PDA

View Full Version : Weekly Pastel Sketch Thread - Sept. 1 - 7

Paula Ford
09-01-2008, 12:38 PM
Hello Artists :wave:

This week's sketch thread is a bit different. How about we do sketches of Water.

If you don't want to do water, that's ok too!! Please feel free to join in with anything you have sketched that was done in less than 1 hour.

The weekly pastel sketch thread is for ALL pastelists of all skill levels who use soft pastels, hard pastels, or pastel pencils.

The idea is to fit some sketching time into your week by completing a sketch in one hour or less. You can sketch anything, whether it be from life or photos.

It's a good idea to time your sketch, keeping it within 60 minutes. You know how time flies when you’re creating! So, get your pastels out, set a timer, and when your time is up, please post your sketches here and share your efforts with us!!

WOW! We had a great week last week...check out last week's (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=514677) thread

For inspiration, please visit the Image Library (http://www.wetcanvas.com/RefLib/)

helenh
09-01-2008, 03:06 PM
OK. I'll jump right in. I did this one this morning in about 30 minutes. On dark blue suede mat. About 6"x7" using mainly Ludwigs . I always have trouble with still water, so I am practicing. I know this isn't very good, but it's fast.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Sep-2008/114605-Fast_Pond.jpg

bchlvr
09-01-2008, 03:08 PM
Great job Helen...Like the way you handled the reflections!

Paula Ford
09-01-2008, 03:24 PM
This is lovely Helen!! I really like the splashes of sunlight in the water and on the foreground. You definately have kept the focal trees in focus and the surroundings a bit blurred...great work!

Judibelle
09-01-2008, 04:49 PM
Hi Paula....Here is one with water and tree, which I did yesterday in about an hour. (Had a couple of interruptions, and had to go back to it.) It is from a photo I took a couple of years ago. It's on MiTientes and I used Rembrandts, Gallery, and Marie's mostly, though I started with NuPastels for blocking in the big shapes...
I will still be working on trees as well....have a couple in mind to practice on when I get a chance to get outside again...
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Sep-2008/103700-scan0002.jpg_brook_in_pastel.jpg

bchlvr
09-01-2008, 07:35 PM
Very nice...water has great movement!

Paula Ford
09-01-2008, 10:37 PM
Great sketch Judibelle! The water has wonderful movement and the piece has terrific composition. Nice tree too! You might think about doing this as a full-blown painting.

This looks like a plein air piece.

Judibelle
09-02-2008, 08:48 AM
thanks, Linn and Paula. Funny, I did a plein air sketch of the brook at the time, but used the photo I had taken, for this drawing. I'm thinking I would like to use it as a 'finished piece'.....do I need to do anything more to the background? I wasnt sure what else needed to be done to be called 'finished'...
thanks for your help and comments..
JB

helenh
09-02-2008, 10:16 AM
Thanks Linn and Paula. This pond is in back of my house. I keep painting this scene over and over. I feel as though I can never get the reflections and the water right. So many greens in the water. I'll keep at it. Kind of neat painting the same scene at different times of the day. A good exercise.

Pastel_Love
09-02-2008, 06:36 PM
Hi Paula, only water? In every way?

Dougwas
09-02-2008, 06:42 PM
Helen- Good job. I like the reflections and how the sun is hitting the far grass. Must be nice to have a pond in the back of your house.

Judibelle- Way to go! Good movement in the water. Good job in using a different tone on the far shore.

Here is my sketch. It took an hour and it's not up to my liking but one of my goals is to post here so here it is. :o

I started with Pans and went to sticks for everything but the water. The water doesn't show it but there are 5 different colours in it. I cropped most of the ugly greenery and the rocks could use some more work. And the water.:lol:

Oh well. Thanks for looking.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Sep-2008/102199-Sept_2_08_Water.jpg

Doug

bchlvr
09-02-2008, 09:13 PM
Doug...Posting it probably cut down too many of the colors...on the screen they appear to have more light and are more transparent than IRL. The first and last rock are good...a light side and a shade side.

Is this a pond near your house? I have a small creek out back but it is over grown with wild bamboo type plants and I can't get to it now.

Dougwas
09-02-2008, 09:47 PM
Hi Linn

It's a slow moving creek that runs through our town. In May it is a torrent river from the snow melt. I am trying to limit myself to one hour but I hadn't used my Pans for a while and forgot how to use them.:eek: Don't tell Donn A.:angel:

I really want to try them for an underpainting for my sticks but with the hour time limit I'm going to have to be fast.(which I'm not) Maybe if I plan ahead.

Oh well. Practice, practice, practice.

Doug

Judibelle
09-03-2008, 11:49 AM
Doug, I really like the colors in the water....and yes, those two rocks with the shadings are really good.
Helen, I too like the reflections and shading a lot. Nice work.
JB

Judibelle
09-03-2008, 06:26 PM
Here is a sketch I did today...about 45 minutes.It's 7 x 10 on Mitientes, with Nupastels, Rembrandts and Gallery.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Sep-2008/103700-scan0004.jpg__water_2.jpg
JB

Dougwas
09-03-2008, 06:54 PM
Judibelle- That's the way. Good reflections. Keep at it.

Here is my sketch for today. This is a view I caught when my daughter and I were taking a walk. This is The Duck Pond in Houston, BC. There are trails all around it. Every once in a while there is a bear warning :eek: so you stay away from there. Well, I do anyway.:o

It took me an hour and I was surprised that I got this much done in that time. Maybe I'm finally working faster.:D It's on 9 x 6 Wallis.

Thanks for looking.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Sep-2008/102199-Sept_3_08_Water.jpg

Doug

bchlvr
09-03-2008, 08:41 PM
JB...great water...like the movement and reflections!

bchlvr
09-03-2008, 08:43 PM
Doug...very nice...the water is super and the reflections are great. Nice landscape in the background and I really like your water and sky because they are not over blended...makes them come alive!

Paula Ford
09-03-2008, 10:24 PM
Doug, Beautiful colors in that first sketch and the 2nd one is so vibrant. Very nice! It's good to work fast!

JB, I love your trees at the lake! (Remember to keep your horizon line straight...just a tip)

Dougwas
09-03-2008, 11:53 PM
Thanks Linn and Paula. I have wanted to try painting this for a while now but was a little hesitant. Now, I plan on painting it on a 18 x 12 piece of Wallis when my Dakota order arrives. :D I am going to try Deborah's charcoal sketch method again.

The only blending I did was with pastels. I used 4 colours in the sky and 3 in the water.

Doug

WC Lee
09-04-2008, 12:05 AM
beautiful sketches so far, everyone :)

SuzySue
09-04-2008, 12:11 AM
Here is my water sketch - it is 8x12 on colorfix board. Glad it is a sketch. Still need to keep working on making the clouds look like clouds. The colors are a bit more saturated that what the photos look like.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Sep-2008/18039-sunset_water.JPG

Shellee
09-04-2008, 12:18 AM
After completing a small apple study this morning, I decided to give this weeks sketch challenge a try. I am using a vacation photo that was taken while on a float down the Flathead river for reference. This is as far as I got and I am feeling very challenged as I have only done one other landscape.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Sep-2008/39892-DSC01338.jpg
Mi-Teintes, 11X15 using Rembrandts.
I am headed out in the morning so will have to wait till next week to work on it again. Hopefully I won't loose interest in it which seems to happen when a work sits uncompleted for a few days!
Have a great rest of the week,
Shellee

Paula Ford
09-04-2008, 06:38 AM
Sue, What a lovely sunset! It is definately a very dramatic piece.

Shellee, You have a nice soft style and this piece is so calm and soothing!

Beautiful job on the water everybody!

Dougwas
09-04-2008, 11:26 AM
Sue- Nice bold colours. We all need to work on clouds. Hmm... maybe that can be the theme for next week.

Shellee- Way to take up the challenge. Very soft feeling.

Doug

WC Lee
09-04-2008, 02:09 PM
a mini quickie on wallis using the limited palette of 6 colors, 3 x 4

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Sep-2008/122017-sketch01361.jpg

Judibelle
09-04-2008, 03:48 PM
Sue..I love your dramatic sunset...the colors are great.
Shellee, hope you dont lose interest...you are off to a great start. I particularly like youur rocks so far....I have a terrible time with rocks, (along with everything else..) yes, clouds and rocks for future topics!
WC...Cant believe you can get that much onto a 3x4! Really really nice.

I had time to do another this morning. (going great guns this week....next week I wont have time for any...just about an hour on Canson paper, using Rembrandts and Nupastels mostly...
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Sep-2008/103700-scan0005.jpg_water__tree.jpg
Comments and suggestions welcomed.

Paula Ford
09-04-2008, 07:02 PM
WC, Nice piece!! Autumn is on the way!!

Judibelle, Lovely colors, really nice tree and rocks and water. I love the trunk of the tree also. Great sketch!

Dougwas
09-04-2008, 08:03 PM
WC- Nice quicky. Love the reflections. Landscapes??:evil:

Judibelle- Good sketch. Love all the colours. Way to go.:thumbsup:

Here's another attempt at the same photo of Buck Creek. This time I stuck to the sticks. It took me 55 minutes and I should have stopped earlier. I over worked the water. Oh well, it felt good to get it done in less than an hour. It's on 6 x 9 Wallis.

Thanks for looking.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Sep-2008/102199-Sept_4_08_Water.jpg

Doug

bchlvr
09-04-2008, 09:20 PM
Wow...alot of posts since I got home from work!

Sue...your colors are beautiful...very nice composition!

Shellee...very peaceful scene and water...good colors!

WC...like your water and trees...The water is especially good!

Judibelle...good colors and especially good grasses and rocks!

Doug...I like your use of pastels without so much blending...something I need to learn how to do!

Also Doug...what pastels did you order? You convinced me on the Maggie Price Value set which just came today...they seem softer than I am used to but will try them this weekend.

Judibelle
09-04-2008, 09:22 PM
Very nice, Doug...your trees are lookin' good, and the rocks are great. In your previous sketch, I really like the colors in the water and sky....the trees look good too. Nice work.

Dougwas
09-04-2008, 09:44 PM
Thanks Linn and Judibelle. I really think the right side of my brain is taking over when I paint now. It might sound funny but I just seem to grab a stick and then another and before you know it, I have trees looking at me.:) In the last month I think I have painted every day. I think it is helping.

Linn, I ordered the 50 stick Mount Vision landscape set. It was a toss up with the Maggie Price set and the MV's. I talked to Paula and they are her main pastel so maybe I will be able to paint some Paula trees.:D I also ordered a few Unisons and Art Spectrums as well as a 24 set of the Polychromos. I have never tried a hard pastel before.

I have been using Wallis all the time now and I have found I am able to put tons of pastel on so there is no need for blending. I am also learning to apply the pastel with a lighter hand.

Have fun with your new pastels and show us your results.

Doug

Paula Ford
09-05-2008, 02:01 PM
Doug, Very nice sketch! I really like the difinition of the trees in this one.

ChristyLB
09-05-2008, 03:57 PM
OK, I'm not sure how long this took, but I'm pretty sure it's a cumulative hour or so. I had a very high-maintenance baby yesterday, lots of stopping and starting.

This is from a photo at a black sand beach in Hawaii, last fall. :)

http://www.coypond.net/uploaded_images/black_sand.jpg

Dougwas
09-05-2008, 04:43 PM
Thanks Paula. You have been a great help in my tree growth.:lol: All the trees might look the same but at least you can tel they are trees.:D

Nice sketch Christy! Good job on the water and I really like the rocks. Good luck with the (artist in training?)baby.

Doug

ChristyLB
09-05-2008, 05:59 PM
Thanks, Doug! I like your 2nd sketch in this thread a LOT! I love the sky... it looks so moody. :)

ETA: I realize in my first post in this thread it may sound like I "had" a high-maintenance baby yesterday. In reality, I had the baby nearly 6 months ago (I cannot believe that...) but yesterday, he chose to be very high-maintenance.

There, I feel better. :)

WC Lee
09-05-2008, 06:20 PM
Judibelle: nice sketch :) good job on the tree trunk and rocks

Doug: doing good :) the dark on the rocks really makes it pop

Christy: very nice :) good job on the rocks and water

---

Lookie ... another landscape .. that's two this week :D
another mini quickie, 2.5 x 3 :) using the same limited palette ... this one didn't come out as good

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Sep-2008/122017-sketch01367.jpg

Dougwas
09-05-2008, 06:43 PM
Christy- Our babies are 22, 17 and 15 and they are still high maintenance.:lol: Not really. They are all great kids.:D

WC- Thanks. I like rocks now.;) Good sketch with the limited palette. Wow! I wasn't expecting another one. Any more?:evil:

Here's my sketch for today. Photo is from the RIL. It took an hour and I would have liked to work on the b/g a little longer but I wanted to keep to the hour . This time I like the water but the bushes could be better. If it's not one thing it's another.:mad:

It's on 9 x 6 Wallis. Thanks for looking.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Sep-2008/102199-Sept_5_08_Water.jpg

Doug

bchlvr
09-05-2008, 09:46 PM
Christy...Love your water and rocks!

WC...Very nice...like your limited palette!

Doug...your best yet IMO...great color...great rocks...and great grasses!

Paula Ford
09-05-2008, 11:21 PM
Christy, Beautiful rocks and water!

WC, Wow! Another great landscape! Are you enjoying doing them?

Doug, Your water is fabulous in this one!!

WC Lee
09-06-2008, 05:19 AM
thanks Doug, Linn, and Paula :)

Doug: probably it for this week .. maybe sunday if I find time.

Paula: I still don't really care to do landscapes, it just not something I am particularly interested in .. but I got to learn ... been doing simple still lifes too :D portraits and figures are still the bulk of the stuff I do though

Scottyarthur
09-06-2008, 09:27 AM
Wow Folks lots of improvements going on with the landscapes, or waterscapes, they are looking really good. Hi WC, I see you are at the landscapes and are doing great, nice job on the last one which apears as though you are looking down on the subject I find them really hard to do myself well done everyone

bchlvr
09-06-2008, 09:58 AM
Here is one reference from RIL...my new Terry Ludwig pastels that I love (Thanks Doug for suggesting them)...almost dust free and the color stays put...no heavy hand or heavy blending needed. (Now with practice maybe I can learn how to use pastels instead of watercolor)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Sep-2008/74106-002Water.jpg

DAK723
09-06-2008, 02:27 PM
OK, I will confess right here at the start that this took more than 60 minutes - more like 90 minutes, but I wanted to get in on this thread...and this is quite sketchy. I saw that last week was "trees" and this week is "water" - so since I wanted to get in last week, but missed, I did both trees and water. From a photo I took last weekend along Lake Ontario at Hamlin Beach State Park. Approx. 13" x 20" (half a sheet of LaCarte), sort of a blue-gray paper color, using mostly Giraults, two Mt. Visions and one Sennelier.

Don

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Sep-2008/82335-hamlin-small.JPG

Judibelle
09-06-2008, 05:09 PM
I'm just catching up with the more recent posts, and love them all!
Christy, your colors are beautiful, and I love the was the water meets the land. Just lovely...
WC...Just love your quickie tiny sketches....and the colors in your limited palette.
Doug...your water has a lot of movement, and I love the colors in it. The background looks great too! Nice work!
linn....love the movement in your waterfall and the colors in your rocks . Very nice.
Don...really nice....love the trees, relections, water... heck I love the whole thing.
JB

Paula Ford
09-06-2008, 08:44 PM
Linn, I love your rushing water. Very nice piece!

Hi Don! It's nice to see you here. This piece is beautiful and painterly, NOT sketchy at all!

Dougwas
09-07-2008, 12:29 AM
Thanks Linn,Paula and Judibelle. I really like these themes we are having. It helps to keep at one thing for a week.

Linn- Great movement. Have fun playing with those TL's.

Don- Welcome. Really like those reflections.

Doug

WC Lee
09-07-2008, 02:35 AM
Linn: nice sketch :) good work on the rushing water

Don: the reflections in the water came out very nicely

Dougwas
09-07-2008, 03:22 PM
Here's my sketch for today. It's from a photo my daughter took on a hike. I know it's just a stream in the middle of the page but it's just a water study.

It's on 9 x 6 Wallis and took 45 minutes.

Thanks for looking.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Sep-2008/102199-Sept_7_08_Water.jpg

Doug

WC Lee
09-07-2008, 04:38 PM
Doug, you're on a roll this week :)

Judibelle
09-07-2008, 05:05 PM
great job, Doug....your water is really nice, as are your grasses! The colors are lovely and the water definitely has 'flow' to it...Keep up the good work!
JB

bchlvr
09-07-2008, 07:49 PM
Great water in this one!

Dougwas
09-07-2008, 09:02 PM
Thanks WC, JB and Linn. I tried another one today and let's just say it wasn't ready for prime time.:p It has a ton of trees with a bend in the river with calm water AND rushing water.:eek: It's OK. Two weeks ago I wouldn't have even attempted it.

Doug

Paula Ford
09-07-2008, 11:56 PM
Doug, Really nice! I love the color of the water and the movement it shows.

Sorry I haven't been around too much. I haven't been feeling very well the last few days.

How about we do grass this week? I'll start the new thread tomorrow around lunch time.

Paula

Dougwas
09-08-2008, 12:13 AM
Hi Paula

I hope you start feeling better. There is no worse feeling than feeling ill. Grass sounds good to me. I just took some photos today.

Now go to bed and get better.:)

Doug

Judibelle
09-08-2008, 07:58 AM
Paula...sorry you're a bit 'under the weather'....hope you feel better soon!
and 'grass' sounds good to me..
take care,
JB