PDA

View Full Version : Weekly Scumble Sept 1 Thru 7

K Taylor-Green
09-01-2008, 11:31 AM
Holy cow! It is Monday, and Labor Day. Where has the Summer gone? Anyhow, welcome to the Scumble, our weekly chat thread where we share the happenings of our everyday lives!

Summer is almost gone. Hard to believe. While I don't look forward to Winter, I am looking forward to some cooler weather as Fall sets in.

Next weekend I am going to a hunt test in Central Kentucky. My Harry is running the first 2 passes for his Seasoned title in HRC. My trainer friend and I are going together and camping out for the weekend. I should get loads of good pictures.

The Pastels Staff have had their heads together, planning some new activities for the Pastels Forum. So keep an eye out! There will be some new classrooms and Pastel Riots to get involved in!

IdahoHat
09-01-2008, 03:21 PM
Katherine - Good luck to you and Harry and your trainer. Looking forward also to the new activities.

It is already cooler here and I am not quite ready for it. We need a little more summer here in Idaho. We've spent a lot of last night and this morning watching the hurricane coverage. Our middle daughter lives in Shreveport and will get a lot of rain, tornado warnings, possible power outages from it. This time she does not have house full of inlaws from the NO area, since they found other places to go. Worked on the Lacey portrait to get it finished and just posted in softies and x-posted in the portrait forum. Hope to go to a free symphony in the park this afternoon. Everyone have a great week.

ElsieH
09-01-2008, 07:21 PM
:wave: Hi, All!

Good luck, Kate, to you, Harry and trainer! Sounds like fun!
Horses in Ohio! While I was born in Pennsylvania, I grew up in Ohio! (Zanesville)
I use to love the county fair, just to wander around the horse barns and
pretend I had a horse! :lol:

Our daughter who lives in Madison, WI, near us and her family were over for BBQ chicken, one more round of sweet corn, etc. Great fun!
Besides my granddaughter, I just got another "granddaughter" for the school year! Megan, who is a senior in high school, has a best friend who's family moved to another city. So Anna is living with my daughter and her family for the school year to avoid moving her senior year. Such a sweetie!
More the merrier!

My hubby is getting around with just a cane now and doing way too much! :lol:
But, he is still not allowed to drive. So, I'll still be running "Elsie's Taxie" for at least this week and maybe next. His university classes start tomorrow!

Painting....oh, yes...I'm an artist...I paint! Well, I did some last week...in between...! This week..."watch my dust!":clap:

With our new "prairie native plants" front garden, I have been doing lots of watering and some sitting with the hose on the bit of new grass. Lovely inspiring thing to do!

My thoughts and prayers are with those who live in the hurricane path!:o :heart:

Have a great week, All!:wave:

jemgold
09-01-2008, 09:04 PM
Katherine,
Good luck on your hunt test! I've done a little of that myself with my goldens.
You should get some great photo's in Kentucky. I took some earlier of old barns in that area.

ElsieH
09-02-2008, 12:27 AM
:wave: Hi, again,

Duh! of course Kate is talking about doggies and not horses! Dense me! :lol: :p

Good Luck, Kate!

K Taylor-Green
09-02-2008, 10:53 AM
LOL Elsie, that's ok! I didn't specify, did I?
Sounds like your family will have great fun with an extra member for the school year. Much like having a foreign exchange student! They quickly become like family.

Carolyn, it is a lot of fun, isn't it? Watching a well trained dog is such a joy. Much easier to photograph, too! Just put them in a sit/stay, walk off and get shots from whatever angle you need!

We are down to the last 2 weeks of Soleil's pregnancy. She is getting big! Naturally, we are back to getting up to go out in the middle of the night. When a mom to be has to go, she has to go! All of us human moms can relate, I'm sure.

CJMonty
09-02-2008, 11:48 AM
Hi Everyone,

Kate, good luck with Harry, I'm sure he will do well. When is Soleil due? Do you knw how many she is carryin at all.

Elsie, how is your grandson doing with his implant, I would imagine he is learning new sounds each and every day. What a delight for all of you.

I went for a check up today and providing things go as they are going I will go back to work on 13th September. As quite a few of you know, I have a somewhat aggressive Auto -Immune Disease which has done a lot of damge, unfortunately it seems it is now having a go at my liver. This is know as Auto-Immune Hepatitis, hopefully as we gradually increase this new Immunosupressant it will do it's job and hopefully clear it up after all we have to have a functioning liver. So could you all keep your fingers crossed for me.

Anyway I really should have been in bed an hour ago so I'm off to bed now.

Oh, just one more thing, I am going to take a pic of my latest w/c painting so will let you know if I successfully post it tomorow and you can tell me what you think.

Take Care all
Lots of Love Carolynn :) :) :heart: :heart:

ChristyLB
09-02-2008, 12:48 PM
I absolutely love Labor Day, because for me it means fall is on its way. I LOVE FALL. I love it when the air cools off and gets that yummy feeling that I can never really describe. I absolutely love the holidays, each and every one of them!

Yesterday I started a new pastel painting and for the first time am working on something other than Canson. Holy cow, why did I not try this before?? I have a BFA, I know a thing or two about art supplies and know that higher quality tools make higher quality finished works. I'm not even using the highest quality there is, I'm sure, but it's like heaven compared with Canson!! (I am using the Sennelier "la carte" or something like that.) I totally love how it's coming out and how easy it is for me to get the affects I'm looking for. Yay for good paper!

ElsieH
09-02-2008, 11:10 PM
:wave: Hi, All!

Carolyn:

My grandson, Ben, is doing wonderfully well with his cochlear implant!
He cries if it gets bumped of the magnetic connection on his head and he can't hear! He is really hooked on living in the sound world.
Julia, my dau., sent us a video of him interacting with them. So wonderful!
I really lost it with great tears of joy when his father asked him, "Where is your shirt, Ben?" and he grabbed his shirt with a big grin! He's 11 and a half mo. old. Happy Grandma here!:clap:

Carolyn:
Know we are keeping you in our thoughts, hearts and prayers! Art is healing!
My the prayers and art work together! :heart:

I can't believe it: As I was driving to town today, I noticed some trees starting to turn color! This is early! I love fall trees!

Kathryn Day
09-03-2008, 12:55 AM
Kate: Have a great time in Kentucky. I have never been there, tell us about it. Hope you dogs do great.

Hope your family gets through the rains and hurricane weather untouched, Idahohat.

CJ: I really hope your immunosupressants work to get your liver back in shape and working like it should. I must say you have a very positive outlook. I admire that in you. But never feel like you can't vent here if you need to.

Elsie your family sounds like such fun and you are a very busy gal.

Christy, fall is my favorite too and our State Fair is in two weeks and that always gets me ready for the lovely fall days in New Mexico.

I have found the reason that I have been so extremely fatigued that I can only do the basics of my job and the bare essentials and am always too tired to paint or do anything, by the end of the day. I had a sleep study and I stop breathing (apnea) or very shallow breaths 113 times per hour, so my oxygen was going down to 66%. Even though I felt like I was sleeping, I never got out of stage 1 sleep, so was receiving no restorative sleep. The treatment is to use a CPAP machine and mask to sleep with air blowing into it to keep my airway open. Using it my oxygen is back up to 95%. I just got it a few days ago and have been struggling to use it, but will work with it because I so want to feel better and have some energy again. Does anyone know anyone else with this and did they see a big improvement with the treatment?

rankamateur1
09-03-2008, 10:13 AM
Kathy, I also have obstructive sleep apnea. Before treatment, I was becoming a menace on the road because I wanted to fall asleep the minute I got behind the steering wheel. I had no energy, my legs were swollen, I had marks on my feet, I had constant alergies.

One year ago, I started with a CPAP. While I really dislike sleeping with it because I haven't found a mask that really fits, I have to say that I feel much much better. I can drive long distances again without dozing off. My ankles are back to normal and the skin marks are almost gone - my feet look like they did when I was 21. My alergies are almost completely gone.

So stick with it. The results will be worth the struggle. Good luck.
Luana

CJMonty
09-03-2008, 10:42 AM
Kathy, I have sent you a PM to discuss your CPAP. As I've said in it I have been using one now for just over 2 years. It took about a couple of weeks to get used to it and that was mainly getting the mask adjustments right so that it was both comfortable and effective.

Luana, when I started on CPAP I was amazed at the number of people around who so use them. At work, there are at least 2 other nurses and about three of the girls husbands use them.

Hi to everyone else again too. I will pop in again and see who else is around.

Take Care
Lots of Love Carolynn :) :) :heart: :heart: :heart:

K Taylor-Green
09-03-2008, 11:44 AM
A friend of ours has sleep apnea. He has used a CPAP for several years now. Ever since he fell asleep behind the wheel of his car and drifted into the next lane and was hit by a truck!! He was very lucky in that there were no serious injuries.

Christie, I am a big fan of Fall, also. I am so looking forward to cooler temps. It has been in the low 90s here all week.

CJ, I do hope all goes well for you. You have been through so much.

Soleil is due Sept 14th. I have a whelping box set up in my studio. I don't know how many she is carrying. The closest reproduction vet with a sonogram is in Columbus. My own could do an x-ray, but they aren't as accurate as a sonogram. So, I will be surprised!

Kathryn Day
09-03-2008, 01:18 PM
Luana, glad to know it is worth the struggle. I exchanged my nasal mask for a full sleep mask and I was able to sleep about 7 hours with it on last night. So will persevere and make it work. I did wake up and not really feel the air pressure, so guess you desensitize yourself to it after a while. Hi Caroylyn, got your PM. Thanks. Maybe you all will see me posting more paintings when I have this under control. yeah!!!

Dot Hoffman
09-06-2008, 09:58 AM
Hi Kathy, I've used a CPAP for about 9 years, and finding the right mask is crucial. I was at the Sleep Disorders Clinic in ABQ the other day, to get a prescription for new supplies here in NM, and the nurse practitioner recommended a mask called Comfort Lite II. I think it's a full face mask. I've used others, but have not found one yet that doesn't leak and make noises that keep me awake. I'm going to try this one as soon as I get the call from the medical equipment people, a couple days from now. She also recommended the company to use here in ABQ. If you want the name, PM me.

Good luck, hang in there with it, it's worth it!!!