PDA

View Full Version : Portrait - Electric Light

Mikey
09-01-2008, 09:37 AM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/09-01-2008/28043_crag_painting_2.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Portrait - Electric Light
Year Created:
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 20 x 20 inches
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
I was going to paint this in colour but saw little point.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Any comments

MarkMark
09-01-2008, 10:45 AM
Stunning.. I love the crop and angle. It is very expressive and beautifully painted , my feeling is that some colour glazes would really make it sing, preferably with the yellowish/orange tinge you get ala photographs taken under artficial light. Just my opinion though.. It is lovely as is

Mikey
09-01-2008, 11:23 AM
Many thanks Mark. The problem I have with a grisaille is the fear having got to a certain point I might the go ahead and wreck it completely. Some glazing might be the answer.

Corby
09-01-2008, 01:17 PM
The 'going ahead and wrecking' I am well acquainted with! But if you are doing this with the light from a common electric bulb it would be most instructive to see how the colors are used. The grisaille is most impressive!

tgsloth
09-01-2008, 01:54 PM
Interesting title. We have assumed it just means that the face was illuminated by an electric light. Is it so?

The work is magnificent for the reasons mentioned above. By way of possible improvement, I quote John Singer Sargent, "A portrait is a painting of a person with something wrong with the mouth."

And I think the mouth could use a couple of tweaks. I see it grimacing too far upward to the right in the picture plane by just a scintilla. And the interior seems uncertain as to whether it's teeth or tongue. I figure it's teeth but it needs juuuuuust a bit.

This only means you get A++++ instead of A+++++.

billmahler
09-01-2008, 02:38 PM
This is an outstanding painting.
I'd certainly leave it alone. If you want to try color, perhaps you can use this as a reference and do another.
I agree with TG about the teeth/tongue ambiguity. If it's teeth, some more shadow should take care of that issue.

Mikey
09-01-2008, 03:08 PM
Many thanks for your kind comments, Corby tg and Bill. Here's the ef photo to give you a better idea. Yes, I was standing under an electric light bulb with the camera in my hand.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Sep-2008/28043-Mikey_crag.jpg

Use Her Name
09-01-2008, 04:52 PM
The jaw on the painting seems shorter than that of the picture-- is this 1:1 or is the Griselle picture slightly warped? It seems squashed.

I really like this. The skin seems "waxy" It is a very brutally honest portrait (whether or not the jaw is squashed). I am incapable of such honesty at the moment. Maybe one day...

Bizkit
09-01-2008, 06:12 PM
Im VERY impressed with this, my only critique would also be the lower jaw. I think its quite too small to be realistic even looking at the reference photo. Aside from that great work!!

KTusa
09-01-2008, 06:38 PM
Hi Mikey,
I have no critique but look for your self to the differences with the photograph and the painting.

Example:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Sep-2008/140115-28043-Mikey_crag-photo-and-painting.jpg

tali
09-02-2008, 12:14 AM
This is an amazing self portrait. The "against the rules" composition is so effective. And I'm loving the Yin and Yang positive/negative space going on. Cropping the head makes me think of the thin boundaries that artists tend to have--displaying their soul to all who will look. You got the "passion" down, fixing the structual problems in the jaw and (your) left eye, intensifying the light values (on the mouth too) will push this into a masterpiece.

I so relate to the fear of wrecking, but in this case I think you need to take the leap--at least with the the tonal under-painting. At that point you can let it dry and consider adding color--something I'm NOT sure will be needed. I like the contrast of the title with the tonal painting. Just some thoughts, you know I love your work. :)

Mikey
09-02-2008, 09:25 AM
I'll be back later, but I have to say I am delighted with this tremendous positive response.

Wassie
09-02-2008, 11:31 AM
[quote=tgsloth]...
The work is magnificent for the reasons mentioned above. By way of possible improvement, I quote John Singer Sargent, "A portrait is a painting of a person with something wrong with the mouth."

And I think the mouth could use a couple of tweaks. I see it grimacing too far upward to the right in the picture plane by just a scintilla. And the interior seems uncertain as to whether it's teeth or tongue. I figure it's teeth but it needs juuuuuust a bit.
quote]
I think it's neither. I think it's part of his bottom lip.

Mikey
09-02-2008, 03:51 PM
Many thanks for taking time time to look and comment, use her name, K, tali and wassie. I think they should be easy fixes. I think the mouth looks wrong in part because the shape of the jaw is way wrong.