PDA

View Full Version : First Snow

edtree
08-31-2008, 09:58 AM
:wave:I haven't been painting much but decided to treat myself to the freedom of painting something from my imagination. I'm not especially happy with the outcome though. I'm not sure what's not quite right about this and would appreciate some input.

Thanks in advance everyone! :D

Elizabeth

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Aug-2008/94944-DSCN0021.JPG

16" x 20" wrapped canvas

OkeeKat
08-31-2008, 10:07 AM
Elizabeth, this Snow Scene is Great!!
I just love the hazy folage in the background with the less defined leaves.. the branches all show signs of snow too!! !!
Awesome job on this, really looks like its snowing!!:clap:
:heart:

connievanwinssen
08-31-2008, 10:17 AM
Painted beautifully!:)

Artchrispy
08-31-2008, 10:32 AM
This is exceptional! The color and atmosphere reminds me of a J.M.W Turner painting and there is just enough detail. Even the direction of the falling flakes seemstrue. Fantastic!

phobden
08-31-2008, 10:35 AM
Lovoely color and composition, Elizabeth.

Maybe what's bothering you is not enough difference in contrast between focal area and periphery? There is already some, but maybe a bit more?
Just an idea.

tonyjazz
08-31-2008, 10:51 AM
As Peter mentioned about the the focal point, fallen tree and the snow on top, otherwise I love it.

susme48
08-31-2008, 10:59 AM
Wow, this is great, IMHO!!

sonita
08-31-2008, 11:01 AM
:clap: :clap: BEAUTIFUL!!
Soni:wave:

mpattie
08-31-2008, 11:04 AM
Elizabeth, this is quite beautiful. Very serene. Well done.
Pat

barb8j
08-31-2008, 11:08 AM
It looks perfect to me

gaykir
08-31-2008, 11:20 AM
I actually think it's spectacular! It has a rather abstract feel and the palette is wonderful. I think from the title my only temptation would be to add that small hint of green left over from summer....

wildlifeluvr5567
08-31-2008, 11:41 AM
whoa i really like it!

edtree
08-31-2008, 11:45 AM
:wave: Thank you so much for the comments and feedback Kathie, Connie, ArtChrispy, Peter, Tony, Susan, Soni, Barb and Gayle! (Edit to add thanks to Wildlifelover! :))

Peter, Tony and Gayle...I'm including a better photo. I took the first one after the good light was gone last night. Please let me know if there is a difference in your assessment. I'm very open to changing this, but want to present the closest to the real thing as I possibly can. The wisps of green at the top are REAL grass, lol, as I laid this outside in the shade to take the photo.

Thanks again everyone! Here's the better photo:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Aug-2008/94944-DSCN0025.JPG

phobden
08-31-2008, 12:02 PM
Elizabeth, on the basis of the second photo, I think it's fine as it is.
Lots of sensitivity in this one. Bravo.

gaykir
08-31-2008, 01:07 PM
I agree with Peter! It's wonderful and I would call it done. You'll have no difficulty selling this! I love the very transparent area on the upper right - as if the sun is back there behind the clouds somewhere. I'm thrilled that you made it those big fluffy flakes - I used to love that snow (for about the first couple of days).

susme48
08-31-2008, 01:19 PM
Absolutely beautiful!!!!
http://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/spezial/kdchat/wow.gif (http://www.clicksmilies.com)

*Violet*
08-31-2008, 02:44 PM
a spectacular painting indeed !! ... i love it and the idea behind it !! ... i love first snows and there're precious few paintings that depict it ... as for c&c ... i'd like to see a few more of the large flakes ... and as one that often sees faces in paintings, i'd suggest painting out the sort of lips i see in the lower left area that together with the dark spot kind of suggests a face ...

edtree
08-31-2008, 03:55 PM
:wave: Peter and Gayle, thank you so much for coming back and commenting on the better photographed version of this painting. Gayle, I'm with you on the thrill of the snow. A day or two, then I'm ready for Spring!!!! :lol:

:wave: Susan, your WoW made my day! Thank you so much! :D

:wave: Violet, I'm glad you took a look at this for me and I appreciate your comments and suggestions. "Will do" on the big flakes, which I agree it needs. I had to laugh at the lips and partial face. I saw the lip-rock right off after you mentioned it, then the face. Another "will do" on THAT! I'm glad you think the depiction of first snow reads OK. It went from fall to winter to fall to winter several times before I quit. :D

Thanks again everyone for taking the time to comment and critique my painting! :thumbsup:

Elizabeth

chammi kaiser
08-31-2008, 05:14 PM
I am not looking forward to the winter - just enjoying the last of summer here in Germany but somehow this is so beautiful that winter does not seem so bleak anymore. I love it . Beautiful delicate colours and textures. A wonderful painting.

Chia
08-31-2008, 05:30 PM
What's not to love??? Elizabeth, I think this is outstanding. I'm wondering if the photo is slightly blurred, or if that's how the piece looks IRL. I like the abstract quiality of the sky and the crossed branches draw the eye to the point of interest. Some imagination you have!

deadsam
08-31-2008, 05:59 PM
Lovely painting, love the abstract feel to it also.
If you ever wonder about if the contrast is not strong enough I usually turn it into a greyscale and that usually shows me if its strong enough.
but then that all depends what your going for also.
I changed yours to greyscale to show you.

I like it as is though, great job :)

Grace5
08-31-2008, 07:36 PM
Gorgeous painting, love the colours of the sky and the trees with the snow on them. Great imagination.

bchlvr
08-31-2008, 08:32 PM
Beautiful colors and textures!

asnowfall
08-31-2008, 09:04 PM
looks wonderful, very random which is hard to create.
Ramesh

Mz_Sketch_Pad
08-31-2008, 09:08 PM
:clap: :clap: :clap: leave it works-this is a snow painting thatis not to me - the usual "dry" stuff
this has an exciting feel to it

arl
09-01-2008, 08:26 AM
Beautiful. The texture is wonderful.

laf.art
09-01-2008, 08:31 AM
lovely piece of work

Li'l Brown
09-01-2008, 10:35 AM
Elizabeth, this is lovely. Everyone else has said what I would like to say so I'll leave it at that. Bravo!

gurleygirl
09-01-2008, 11:32 AM
Wow, this is beautiful!
Tracey

cadub
09-01-2008, 01:36 PM
Beautiful job Elizabeth - reminds me of the winter that came before the leaves had a chance to fall off the trees - they stayed frozen on the trees all winter!!
Love the hazy atmosphere
:-)

FinLady
09-01-2008, 02:38 PM
The second photo really brings out the colors you used in the sky. It truly is beautiful as is. :)

objectivistartist
09-01-2008, 03:23 PM
Indeed a very interesting painting - considering it was done from imagination, quite a spectacular painting actually... :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Sonia
09-01-2008, 03:36 PM
All in all, I think everyone is telling you it's a winner!! I was going to mention what Peter said about sharpening the focal area just a little, but your second photo makes it just right.

NM Painter
09-01-2008, 04:29 PM
:wave: Thank you so much for the comments and feedback Kathie, Connie, ArtChrispy, Peter, Tony, Susan, Soni, Barb and Gayle! (Edit to add thanks to Wildlifelover! :))

Peter, Tony and Gayle...I'm including a better photo. I took the first one after the good light was gone last night. Please let me know if there is a difference in your assessment. I'm very open to changing this, but want to present the closest to the real thing as I possibly can. The wisps of green at the top are REAL grass, lol, as I laid this outside in the shade to take the photo.

Thanks again everyone! Here's the better photo:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Aug-2008/94944-DSCN0025.JPG

Wow! It's perfect! The better photo shows the only thing I was going to suggest (stronger turquois in the sky and a little in the stream) is already there, and the focal point is definitely strong enough. Wonderful. Did you use ref. photos at all, or is this really totally imaginary?! I really do have 'tree envy'!

clementine
09-01-2008, 04:29 PM
super work!(despite I don't like snow!:D )
:wave: clem

edtree
09-01-2008, 07:34 PM
:wave: Thank you so much for your beautiful comments and votes of confidence Chammi, Coralie, Sam, Grace, Linn, Ramesh, Mz, Arlene, LAF, Jesslyn, Tracey, Cadub, Finlady, Robert, Sonia, Mercia and Clem! :D

:wave: Hi Coralie! I wonder if you saw the second photo? Thank you for your kind comments and for recognizing so many good things about the painting, even while viewing the bad photo!

:wave: Cadub - The way you described the scene was one of my goals...to make it look as if winter came before the leaves all fell. I'm SO glad it appears that way and that you shared that with me!

:wave: Mercia - I can probably answer your question best by describing my process. I lay the blank canvas on the table and brush the entire thing with water. I choose paints, just at random...what ever I'm in the mood for, then with a large brush I apply the paint(s). They run and bleed into each other and drip over the sides - it's fun. At this point, I have no goal. Just play. I may dab some of the paint a bit with a paper towel at this point. You see this effect in the sky of the finished painting.

For the first stage above, I might use two or three colors. Then I let that dry and then using a smaller big brush, I do some line play. You still see some of these initial lines in the painting in the background up in the fluffy part. Some of these lines and the blobs from the initial color play end up being elements...trees, rocks, etc. I let this dry partially and added some more of a different color. Then let dry completely.

At this point, I spent several days just contemplating what might be appearing on the canvas. I turned it all four ways several times through this process. Once things began to appear in the design, I started to add things and I began to develop some of the shapes. I saw trees and leaves and a big fluffy sky with tall trees in the background. The more I'd look, the more I'd see.

At one point, I had a big stump behind the main tree and the whole thing was land. Then, I saw water, so I went with it. The banks went through a lot of transformations, etc. The further into the process, the more picky it (I) get and it becomes a lot less freeing, but it's still enjoyable. Once I had decided I wanted it to be an early snow scene, I did look at some references to refresh my mind on the look of leaves intermingled with snow. It was slim pickens, however, but that's the only sort of reference I used. None of those I looked at would appear anything like this.

This is probably my 4th or 5th imagination painting. I have two of them on my Flickr site you might remember; one is Tranquil Night, and the other is "Moody Landscape" both using the same sort of method. If I were to give credit to anyone it would be Bob Ross for his "going with it" and "happy accidents" philosophy which really opened this door for me.

Sorry about the book length response, but I was thinking maybe someone else might want to try this method...especially after reading Soni's post about copyrights.

Thank you, by the way, for your kind comments and for your patience if you read through this entire response :lol:!

Elizabeth

HOllyLL
09-01-2008, 08:35 PM
I have to say I* LOVE the browns you've infused into this! Gorgeous!!

C_Line
09-01-2008, 08:48 PM
Exquisite work Elizabeth - you've really outdone yourself with this.

RPut
09-01-2008, 08:56 PM
This is gorgeous. I love it. It's done. Ruthie

nithya_swamy
09-02-2008, 03:42 AM
Its fabulous. Terrific textures and great feel. I love it, Elizabeth.

Assaf
09-02-2008, 04:31 AM
Amazing style, edtree! I like the second, sharper photo, where you can see all the details. The branches in the top right are briliant.

NM Painter
09-02-2008, 01:54 PM
Thank you! I'm so glad I asked! What an interesting process! Would you consider a WIP thread for an imagination painting? I think this latest one is your best so far. You manage to pass your experience and skill through your heart to your hand.

LavenderFrost
09-02-2008, 04:27 PM
It's beautiful!

mollynix
09-03-2008, 06:56 PM
Magical!

JamieWG
09-03-2008, 07:30 PM
Elizabeth, this is really beautiful! It has that peaceful, stay-at-home snowfall character to it. You've given it a lot of depth too.

Jamie

edtree
09-03-2008, 08:19 PM
:wave: Thank you Holly, Celeste, Ruthie, Nithya, Assaf, Michelle, Molly and Jamie! I'm glad this painting has been so well received as I hoped to feel confident enough in it to put it in an upcoming show. You have all done so much for my confidence; again, many thanks, my friends! :D

:wave: Mercia - I would be happy to do a WIP for something like this. I'm not sure when though, but will put it on my to-do list. Thank you for your encouragement on this painting and the thumbs up on my crazy method! :lol:

Elizabeth

PETE K
09-03-2008, 09:35 PM
Elizabeth - looks great to me even that I have not seen snow in about 15 years. I kind of miss it when it's comming down like that. don't miss the cold though. it just makes every thing look so good. and again your painting looks great.
PETE

Margaret 59
09-03-2008, 11:47 PM
I must have missed this gorgeous painting, Elizabeth.

Linee
09-04-2008, 10:26 AM
I missed this, too. Love it! Makes me think of the many storms we had last year, looking out my window at such a scene. Winter storms always make me feel more cozy being indoors.