PDA

View Full Version : "Linden Nile Star"

artistsoul
08-31-2008, 12:46 AM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/08-30-2008/105700_LindenNileStar-Large.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: "Linden Nile Star"
Year Created: 2008
Medium: Charcoal
Surface: Paper (Canson Mi-Tientes Pastel Paper, smoothside)
Dimension: 10"x10" (25cmx25cm)
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
My goal and vision for this original piece was to recreate the play of light/shadow; bring his energy, power and a sense of "wild" across to the viewer; allow the paper colour to unite the whole artwork and let the charcoal bring texture, detail and contrast to help hold the viewer's interest as well.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
After having read the above; does this piece hold your attention? If so, why or if not, why?

I want my work to bring emotion; my deep passion and dedication to the Arabian horse (and all animals) to show alittle of myself; my feelings and personality and also my skills as an artist.

Based on this piece alone- could you say you believe and feel all that I aim for?

Many thanks for looking and your C&C. :)

freeskier89
08-31-2008, 02:39 AM
I think this is a really strong piece. First of all, i am not experienced with charcoal technique and all, but it looks very realistic and executed well. Second, I LOVE the composition. Am I the only one who sees an equilateral triangle right in the center? I think you keep the viewer on the horse really really well. The curves of the mane bring you to the leg, which brings you to the hoof and face. Its a really nice loop.

Personally I wouldn't change a thing. But if you want to portray the horse as being wild I would separate the hooves a bit. I don't precisely why, but it just seems like it would make it more, well... wild :)

Awesome work!

La_
08-31-2008, 02:48 AM
Except for the expectation of 'wild', which is lost on me because of it being a trained, posed view and un-natural in the 'wild', this is an exceptionally well done piece ... bravo

la

freeskier89
08-31-2008, 03:30 AM
I wouldn't call that a trained or posed view at all. Its far from a dog sitting up and begging. But agree that it doesn't come across as 'wild' as i think you were aiming for. I was thinking, what about opening his eyes a tad bit more?

tgsloth
08-31-2008, 07:48 AM
It's terrifically well done but in response to your query, I agree with the other posters that it doesn't communicate a sense of wildness and movement. The pose also struck me like a dog begging and the half closed eye gives an inappropriately relaxed sense to the animal's face. Another area of possible improvement could be if the work was more contrasty which, I think, often characterized fine charcoal work. It may be that contrast was lost in the production of your digital images but I apend a more contrasty photoshop here as a basis for comparison.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Aug-2008/124239-105700_LindenNileStar-Large.jpg

I looked at the wonderful stuff on your website and see that you're also expert in photography. Since the only thing that might keep this from being seen as a masterpiece is the reference pose, I would be interesting for you to post the reference as that would help us see how you moved from reference to charcoal painting.

kathrynlovespets
08-31-2008, 11:01 AM
the pose seems strange..almost comical because the horse is so classically beautifully painted...I guess it's rearing up?
looks like it's posing with its head resting on its hoofs (maybe the expression is too calm to imply that it's in action)>

artistsoul
09-01-2008, 02:18 AM
Thanks so much to you all for taking a look and giving your thoughts and comments to me. It really is oh-so interesting to have so many varied artists views and ideas/thoughts behind what you are seeing.

Yeah... don't think "wild" was perhaps the right word! What am I trying to say- "his spirit of freedom" might be better? I'm with you all with the fact he is not a wild horse- I was more meaning his essence/nature was "wild", but we'll just stick THAT word somewhere else!:lol:

TGSLOTH: I adore the Photoshop version- the contrast is spot on! How much better does it look!? You have made my day with your comment about my photography! I try so very hard and am so very passionate about it, but it always seems to be overlooked, which hurts a bit... even if you're the only person in the world who thinks it's half decent- you've made me want to try harder and love it even more...

I am (almost) paranoid about composition with my work! I cannot stand or tolerate poor or lack of, composition and unfortunately, there seems to be waaay too many artists out there who simply have no idea about it!?
With LNS, I used the "Rule of Thirds" composition design.

You have all given me things to think about, (open the legs and eye...) and an idea into how others perceive my work and if I am just wasting my time as an artist; or all my blood, sweat, tears and many, many years is worth it.