PDA

View Full Version : "Honeymoon"

~~Kathleen
08-30-2008, 02:49 PM
My niece taking a picture walking to the seashore, while being photographed by her husband on their honeymoon in Italy.
Comments and critiques really wanted on this one.
8" X 12" (small canvas for me)
~~Kathleen
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Aug-2008/92567-Ainslie14.jpg

MrsG_SoCal
08-30-2008, 02:50 PM
A lovely feel to this!

OkeeKat
08-30-2008, 03:15 PM
I think its Wonderful Kathleen, you realy captured the entire scene!! Very well done my friend!! Your Niece will definately be pleased!!

mpattie
08-30-2008, 03:36 PM
Kathleen, what a beautiful painting. I love everything about it. Yes, your niece will be very happy about it.
Pat

susme48
08-30-2008, 03:54 PM
Kathleen, I have been watching this since you started it. Been loving how you brought out the colors a little at a time. You are so much more patient than I am...:lol:

Since I know you're not done yet, I feel I am stating the obvious or nit picking to say anything at all. All I see is stuff I am sure is on your list.

For me she needs a few highlights on her legs and dress, maybe a bit more movement in the water...and unless you are going for photorealism...I would say you are done! I like your village better than the ref. IMO it looks more honeymoonish than the the photo...and I like how you have done the hills without the far mountains. Tho' they might need a touch or two to get some distance.

I love the peacefulness that you have captured here. Looks like the perfect place for a vacation or honeymoon (not that I have ever had a honeymoon...sad huh with two marriages...:lol:)

sonita
08-30-2008, 04:49 PM
Beautiful composition here. Your nice turned out really good..love the hat and the bag :) I agree with Susan on highlight and shadow on your niece. I also think that the distant hills should be toned down a bit...some movement in the water would brighten this up as well. This is going to such a special memory....just lovely :)
Soni

PattiLou
08-30-2008, 05:02 PM
Look at all those little 'peoples' on the beach :cool: . Your neice is going to love it.

The one thing I noticed is - I think the light/sun is from the left per her shadow, but her left arm is darker than her right arm, and her legs should probably be highlighted a little more on the left. The light on the houses confuse me, like it is coming from two directions? Especially the multi-story pink house which is light on the right side.

Of course you can always ignore me if I'm not seeing it right. :o

Patti

~~Kathleen
08-30-2008, 06:37 PM
Update;
How is this now?
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Aug-2008/92567-Ainslie16.JPG

asnowfall
08-30-2008, 07:30 PM
First version showed more contrast but I felt that sky needed a bit of texture.
And in second version, sky looks good but the contrast in rather mild which in turn seems to reduces the depth.
And variation in contrast could also be due to camera settings.

Ramesh

gaykir
08-30-2008, 08:38 PM
I'd like to see more contrasts!! It all seems mono-tonal from the visual standpoint. Are the tones the same at her feet as they are two miles away in the village?? It is lacking the punch that strong contrasts provide I think. I also think I would be tempted to make the path a different color to contrast her legs - right now they sorta meld into each other.

Keep at it - it will come together!!

~~Kathleen
08-30-2008, 09:48 PM
First version showed more contrast but I felt that sky needed a bit of texture.
And in second version, sky looks good but the contrast in rather mild which in turn seems to reduces the depth.
And variation in contrast could also be due to camera settings.
Ramesh Actually, I haven't touched the sky Ramish. Must be the camera, I am battling with it every time I try to get a decent photo!
I'd like to see more contrasts!! It all seems mono-tonal from the visual standpoint. Are the tones the same at her feet as they are two miles away in the village?? It is lacking the punch that strong contrasts provide I think. I also think I would be tempted to make the path a different color to contrast her legs - right now they sorta meld into each other. Gaykir I have since actually lightened the pathway in the foreground a bit. From what my niece said the walk down to the beach from where she was standing when the reference pic was taken took no more than five minutes.
It is almost an optical illusion that the beach is so far away.
As this is to be a gift to her father (my brother) She has commented that she wants the painting to stay as it is now.
The contrasts are much greater than this photo shows....again, dratted camera.
Thanks all
~~Kathleen

susme48
08-30-2008, 10:49 PM
I love it! I am sure it is the camera, because I could not get the colors in the sky the same while playing with it, without turning everything else wierd colors. IF you want to, since it is so small...you might try scanning it. I finid the colors are easier to work with that way...no angles or glare. The most important part is that your niece likes it....and I am sure her dad will too!!

~~Kathleen
08-30-2008, 10:53 PM
What a good idea Susan, I'm going to try that!
(I forgot I had a scanner(?))
~~Kathleen

deadsam
08-30-2008, 11:03 PM
scanning always works better, the only thing is if it has alot of texture (grooves) in it they might shadow but it is better then a camera.
There was a thread somewhere how to take camera shots for artwork but I don't know where it is hiding in here, it's basically two lights (one on either side) but again if it fits in a scanner go for it.
Lovely painting too, has a real homey feel to it,very comforting.

~~Kathleen
08-30-2008, 11:05 PM
Scanned image
(thank-you Sam.)
In this case it really is the camera!
It really is a piece of junk!
LOLOL
~~Kathleen
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Aug-2008/92567-Ainslie_16.jpg

deadsam
08-30-2008, 11:24 PM
ahhh that looks alot better and more vibrant :)

just in case you ever wanted to read up on photographing art I did a quick search on it
here is some links

http://www.nitaleland.com/articles/photographing.htm

http://www.dallasartsrevue.com/resources/How-to-Photo-Art.shtml

http://emptyeasel.com/2007/01/19/how-to-photograph-your-artwork-for-a-portfolio-or-the-internet/

http://www.artisthideout.com/how-to-photograph-your-artwork/

don't know if they will help but they are there if you need them :)

~~Kathleen
08-30-2008, 11:36 PM
Thank-you so much Sam.
Needless to say, I am looking for a new camera, and these articles will be wonderful.
Your help is appreciated.
~~Kathleen

edtree
08-31-2008, 09:50 AM
:wave: Hi Kathleen!

I'm loving this! First of all, your choice of subject/reference is wonderful! The composition has so much depth and has a lot of interesting elements to it. Your depiction of the scene is unfolding nicely; I see you've gotten some excellent advice so I will simply admire your work and pull up a chair for the updates and finish. :D

Elizabeth

Bizkit
08-31-2008, 01:58 PM
Ohhhhhhhhhh...very nice! This is some fantastic work , amazing how a cheap camera damages our beautiful artwork!! I never get very good picutures no matter how hard I might try.

gaykir
08-31-2008, 02:30 PM
Amazing - Cameras & photo software may be the death of me someday! This looks so much better!

bchlvr
08-31-2008, 08:25 PM
Very nice...great colors and great detail!

AMuse
08-31-2008, 09:10 PM
This is really well done Kathleen. (the scanned image is much better! :) )

asnowfall
08-31-2008, 09:10 PM
This is excellent, looks well balanced in all respects, and also looks like you have tuned your camera, I can see even the canvas texture:-)

Ramesh

clementine
09-01-2008, 04:33 PM
beautiful scene Kathleen!very romantic!:thumbsup:
:wave: clem

Bill_E
09-01-2008, 06:46 PM
Ah shucks Kathleen...I can't even suggest you add a figure :lol:

Nicely done!

~~Kathleen
09-01-2008, 09:57 PM
Thanks all, I touched her up a wee bit.
She is now in the mail speeding her way to the new home.
Thanks for the input all, I do appreciate everything you all help me with.
Bill.....How are you? Have you moved yet?

Re the figure, I actually thought of you when I began this and thought maybe a set of horns on her head for you! (Laughing here).
Good to see you.
And, again, thanks all.
~~Kathleen
who is on to her next challenge.

RPut
09-01-2008, 10:46 PM
Like it---like it! What a great scene! Ruthie

UpsideDownSarah
09-01-2008, 10:47 PM
Wow, the scan really is a lot better. Looks great.

Linee
09-02-2008, 01:53 AM
I really like the composition here. Nice treatment of the townscape, too.

LavenderFrost
09-02-2008, 04:41 PM
Lovely!

~~Kathleen
09-02-2008, 06:57 PM
Thanks Sarah, Ruth, Linda & Michelle!
Sooner or later I am going to be "Faced" with a body head on, I'm working up to it now!:lol:
Your comments are so appreciated.
~~Kathleen