PDA

View Full Version : Well hello there!

jojopat
08-29-2008, 04:07 PM
:clap: :clap: Hi, this is my first post. I have been painting for about three years, started in acrylics, and may be switching to oil, although I do like some characteristics of both. I'm having trouble with one of my paintings, which includes the female form, in a kind of flying pose. I have lost my reference photograph and am having trouble quite getting the body correct. Maybe I just need to get over myself!!!! Can anyone advise? I'll try and post the painting, its the female in the top left corner. The one on the bottom right, I had a photograph.
Thanks

Joan

Bizkit
08-29-2008, 04:23 PM
Love the design and concept here. Its a small image so I really cant make out the female figures very well but from what Ive seen they look fine, might need a close up image to really be able to help out much. As well Im not exactly certain what the image is in the middle of the painting, looks like a shell but again, Id like to see a close up of it.
Looks like your well on your way and hope to see you around the forum more often.
thanks for posting it! If you havent please feel free to post a picture in our "post your Picture" thread...!!!

OkeeKat
08-29-2008, 08:06 PM
Hi Joan, welcome to our little corner of WC acrylics!!:wave:

This is great, Agree its hard to tell with the upper left figure so far away. Try to get a more closeup of that area if you can.

deadsam
08-29-2008, 08:09 PM
The female form in the top corner looks fine, what might be throwing you off is the arms and hands, they look fine but the position just seems to make it thrown off abit like they are too small even though they are not.
Great painting and welcome to the forum :)

amotwell
08-29-2008, 08:14 PM
Welcome, Joan! :wave:

I personally think there needs to be more of a curve and/or a shadow around where her shoulder ends and her torso begins, if that makes sense.

I hope you don't mind, but I did it digitally, just to show a rough idea of what I mean.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Aug-2008/58881-joans_painting.jpg

Does that help?

George Servais
08-29-2008, 08:37 PM
Angela hit the nail right on the head. If you can, have a friend stand and raise their arms to that position or if possible Google some diver photos to get the perspective. I like this painting. Pretty darned neet:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

jojopat
08-29-2008, 09:05 PM
Oh my........thanks so much for all the information and the kind words guys!!! I especially liked the close up with some amendments! And the suggestion that I take some pics of a friend! I'll work on the painting tomorrow, see if I can finally wrap it up. Joan

Lady Carol
08-29-2008, 09:52 PM
Hi jojopat, welcome to the forum. Interesting concept you have here. It is quite intriguing and works well. Please remember if you post nudes to use the butt icon. Thanks.

susme48
08-29-2008, 10:40 PM
Hi Joan and welcome! I like this!

asnowfall
08-29-2008, 11:02 PM
if i were you i would have tried to get some nude picture(with similar posture) from internet.

Ramesh

edtree
08-30-2008, 10:39 AM
:wave: Hi Joan! Welcome to the Acrylics Forum!

I really like your painting, especially the swimming figures. In addition to Angela's advice, I think the top figure also needs a bit of the front of the head and face ahead of the arms. Great job pushing onward with this even without your reference. I don't think you're too far away from being done! :D

Elizabeth

Tex Tural
09-02-2008, 10:36 AM
I agree bout the shoulder areas and the flat line for the figure. You might be able to break it up some more by showing the face looking downward too.