PDA

View Full Version : erasers

zedek
08-28-2008, 05:09 PM
has anyone tried electric erasers? do they erase with fine detail? Has anyone tried faber castell's eraser pencil? how does this fair?

Wrichards
08-28-2008, 06:16 PM
I use (sometimes) a small battery operated eraser (like a 12$ one) thats da-bomb on pastels. the eraser tip is very small. I just have to remember NOT to press into the paper and let the spinning head do the work. If I realy wanta get a percise removal, ill use a draftman eraser shield. Now this is just for small removals NOT huge areas or such....

nana b
08-28-2008, 07:37 PM
That's funny, I tried one last night! I have a battery charged Elite that has it's own power pod that hooks up to electricity. It is very powerful and strong and works but it will take practice because you have to control it to do what you want.:eek: I don't know if I'll pursue it or not. I guess it's like anything else, you have to pratice!

nana

Deborah Secor
08-28-2008, 08:01 PM
I use a little battery operated one now and then, and it does take practice not to push too hard. It will skip if you do. I use Wallis paper a lot and it works pretty well on it--but it sands the tip of the eraser to some interesting shapes!

Deborah

johndill01
08-28-2008, 10:46 PM
That is one advantage of using the small battery powered erasers. Shaping the eraser to a sharp point or rounding is off to work a larger area. Works well for small erasures.

John

ElsieH
08-29-2008, 10:47 PM
:wave: Hi, there!

I have one of those little battery erasers and use it more in my calligraphy in ink work than for painting. Whatever the use, you have to be very careful. It will eat into the paper if you don't watch it. There are two kinds of erasers to put into it: one that is more like a white plastic eraser and one that is an ink eraser. I would not use the grittier one for pastel or graphite at all.

My favorite eraser for pastels is just a plain white plastic eraser, like Pentel's Hi-Polymer brand. There are several brands, pretty much the same.
No batteries, good old hand power! :lol:
Also, a traditional kneaded artist's eraser works for very small areas.