PDA

View Full Version : Sedona

tking
08-28-2008, 10:27 AM
When I saw the reference photo for this I couldn't pass it up. I'm not quite happy with the rock color. Seems a bit too "orange". C&C welcome. Thanks for looking.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Aug-2008/52020-sedona.jpg

LavenderFrost
08-28-2008, 11:02 AM
Whether it is too orange or not could be a matter of opinion. It certainly is very dramatic.

Linee
08-28-2008, 11:12 AM
My first response was, "Wow, gorgeous!", second was that the mountains are a bit too orange. If you dulled it slightly (a wash of it's complimentary blue?) it might invite the viewer to look longer. I don't know if you'd want to dull the whole thing though. You might be inclined to allow the focal peak the most brightness. Either way, you have a great thing going here!

~~Kathleen
08-28-2008, 12:23 PM
I agree with Linda here.
A wash/glaze would be the way to go!
It would keep the wonderful colour and hues you have here, and tone it down a wee bit!
Beautifully done.
~~Kathleen

tking
08-28-2008, 12:26 PM
Linda, by wash do you mean a coat thinned by water? Simular to watercolors?

Thanks

~~Kathleen
08-28-2008, 12:51 PM
Yes, very little paint start out with a wee drop on a pool of water, and mix well.
Apply a bit to a small area to test it.
You can see in the painting below where I did this with burnt sienna as splotches on the leaves. In this case, the water was barely coloured with the paint. Start out thin (very little paint) as you can always add more!
Hope this helps.
~~Kathleen
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Aug-2008/92567-for_reference.JPG

Linee
08-28-2008, 01:00 PM
I use water or glazing medium mixed with a bit of color to "wash" over another color. The color underneath will still show through somewhat, as Kathleen's example shows. The glazing medium adds gloss, so I would go with water if you don't want that. The glazing medium seems to make the paint nicely spreadable. Maybe do some tests on a scrap first to see what you think works best.

mpattie
08-28-2008, 01:17 PM
This is really beautiful. At first I though the mountain was too orange also but on second look I don't think so. Personally I think you need to deepen the shadow on the lower part of the mountain and add a little brightness to the sky. I love the high lights of the top of the mountain.
Pat

Charlie's Mum
08-28-2008, 01:23 PM
Actually, I like the mountain and its colours! Wouldn't tone it down at all!
But I do think the sky is too busy for the mountain tim - if the mountain is the focal point then the sky detracts from it :D
I think that bright blue fading down to the turquoise, nice and smoothly, would be real drama! :D

NM Painter
08-28-2008, 01:40 PM
Tim - I've been to Sedona, and the red rocks at sunset can be VERY intense. I love them and think you've done a great job with them, but because they are so intense and their edges are so strong, they are overwhelming the foreground trees. Stronger edges and deeper darks in the foreground plus varying the heights and shapes of the trees more might help anchor this wonderful image. I also agree with 'charlie's mum' about lightening and dulling the sky slightly as it nears the mountain to set it back and further emphasize the mountain. In the end, though, it all depends on what the 'truth' of this painting is for you.

tking
08-28-2008, 02:14 PM
Some great advice, maybe I'm not done with this one.

Bizkit
08-28-2008, 08:03 PM
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.............I kinda liked the mountian color, it was the clouds that I wasnt particularly crazy about. Nice job with this, and thanks for posting it!!

bchlvr
08-28-2008, 09:15 PM
gorgeous painting...I love the orange!

tonyjazz
08-28-2008, 10:50 PM
Hey Tim: I like what you've done here. It's dramatic and powerful. Trees, mountains and skies captured on canvas very well. You said the orange might be to bright. Maybe it's the consistent value of the orange that could be what you feel about this artwork. Since this is the focal point of your art I would work on adding some different values on it. I was just reading about an artist that always had different shades of gray on his palette and he would use them to break up values of the same color by adding the main color involved and the shades of gray. And since the piece is dry you can experiment on it and wipe it off right away if it doesn't feel right to you. One of the great things about acrylics. A liner brush making crooks and crannies is a technique I use on mountains a lot. Try to adjust your light source on the trees like you did on the mountains. This is a fine piece of art and sometimes it takes more time and effort to bring out the best you can on it. TJ

asnowfall
08-29-2008, 11:09 PM
Wonderful.
Ramesh