PDA

View Full Version : Summer came to me

stuarthampton
08-28-2008, 08:39 AM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/08-28-2008/135196_Summer_came_to_meBLOG.JPG

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Aug-2008/135196-Summer_SCALE_BLOG2.JPG

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Summer came to me
Year Created:
Medium: Acrylic
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 60X80cm
Allow digital alterations?: No, please :)

MY COMMENTS:
Portrait of the blues player 'Howling wolf' with what i believe expresses his personality and music in the background.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
This is not quite finished- but i quite like it for the time being so i'm going to move onto another one and come back to it later- in the meantime i'd like to know how you think i might improve it and if you think my technique is becoming more experimental- because thats what i'm trying to do....

toraman
08-28-2008, 10:07 AM
I just wrote a comment but it does not appear, so lets re-write it. The painting is beautiful and warm. The colors, texture all very nice. I do not find the technique experimental at all. It seems quite normal to me. Push the limits of experimentation a bit more my friend (if you want to do so). Anyway beautiful painting. Your style is immediatly recognized.

tgsloth
08-28-2008, 11:07 AM
"It was chilly and cold"
"I was about 14 years old"
"When I first heard the Wolfman howl"
"He sneaked me through the door"
"There was whiskey on the floor"
"And the fuzz, they was on the prowl"

-Freddy King-

I love the blues

Anyhow, Stuart, what I notice about the painting is that you've integrated the pictoral treatment of HW with the background/other elements. In many of your older posts, the treatment of the different elements varied and the bluesman was done is a wonderfully competant hyper-realistic style which made him pop away from the rest of the painting (including the flowers). While I could imagine that many folks might admire your older works, I thought you were putting too much in each canvas and find this simpler presentation much stronger (and a little easier for you to paint)

laf.art
08-28-2008, 01:50 PM
I've really enjoyed seeing your work, I think this is the very best so far, it looks integrated without losing the pop if you see what I mean