PDA

View Full Version : Derwent-Prisma equivelant colours?


darlingart
07-23-2002, 01:08 AM
Does anyone know which Derwent colours are equivelant (or as close as possible) to the following Prisma colours? I have tried comparing various colour charts, but I think the differences in scanners and digital colour may make this method inaccurate. This is the best equivelants I have come up with comparing my derwent colour chart to Ivyleaf's prisma chart (lol, I originally tried comparing the chart to individual pencils but gave up on that idea pretty quick:))

If anyone can verify if these are accurate, I would very much appreciate it! Or better yet, if anyone has found anywhere on the web that has a list of the full range of equivelants the url would be fantastic.

Prisma Derwent

Black Grape - Imperial Purple
Tuscan Red - Madder Carmine
Goldenrod - Gold or Naples Yellow or middle chrome
Cream- champagne
Light Peach - Light Sienna
Marine Green - Cedar green
Celadon Green - Distant green
Blue Cloud - Pale Ultramarine
Dark Umber - Burnt Umber
Rosy beige - slate violet or heather
Pink Rose - Pink Madder Lake
Mineral Orange- Middle Chrome
Henna - Rioja or madder carmine
Clay rose - red violet lake
Jasmine - lemon cadmium
Deco Pink - rose pink
Black cherry - grape

LOL - there are more but my eyes are going in and out of focus!

Thanks!

Elankat
07-23-2002, 02:19 AM
Sounds like a job for TeAnne! :)

I think she and Lulu may be the only two with both Derwents and Prismas. Maybe one of them can do a direct pencil to pencil comparison.

Looking at the list, I'm guessing you are puzzling out some of the skin tone, hair and eye color equivalents. :) If you're using "Just the Two of Us" as a guide, just remember that there are several more colors you can use for skin tones. I have a pretty strong bias toward certain colors and tend to be repetitive with them. My extreme use of Marine Green, Indigo Blue and Henna may not necessarily be a good thing. :)I'm staying pretty heavy in the pink range with that portrait. Also, I avoid some pinks and oranges in the Prisma line due to lightfastness. Pink is the only poor lightfastness pencil that I use and only because I don't have an equivalent. Those issues may not be the same with Derwents.

In other words, don't be afraid to experiment a little with the colors. The basic gist of skin tones (Ann Kullberg style) is that you divide your pencils into yellows, oranges (peaches are an orange), pinks, and browns. Then, you separate them into 5 value groups. If you are building dark tones, always make certain that you use something from each value group, i.e, darkest shades have at least one color from values 1, 2, 3, 4 & 5. Go easy on the oranges and browns. Orange tones are good for warmth and sunlit skin. So, you really don't need to be worried about exact equivalents. Just sit down and divide out those colors as you perceive them.

I usually do a yellow value 1, orange value 1, pink value 2 for light areas. Then, mid-tones are usually an orange, one or two yellows, and two pinks from values 2 and 3. Modeling of mid darks is usually a pink and maybe an orange or brown from value 4. Darks, I use a use the range of value 5 (Tuscan Red, Black, Dark Umber) depending on the darkness of the area. If you divide out your pencils, you can get a close approximation without having to know exact equivalents to Prisma.

On eyes, just look closely at the iris. Ann Kullberg has a system for eyes, but I really don't use it because it seems too simple (blue, green, or brown) and I think eyes have a lot more to them. So, just look at the colors. :D

darlingart
07-23-2002, 04:29 AM
Originally posted by Elankat

Looking at the list, I'm guessing you are puzzling out some of the skin tone, hair and eye color equivalents. :) If you're using "Just the Two of Us" as a guide, just remember that there are several more colors you can use for skin tones....

In other words, don't be afraid to experiment a little with the colors. The basic gist of skin tones (Ann Kullberg style) is that you divide your pencils into yellows, oranges (peaches are an orange), pinks, and browns. Then, you separate them into 5 value groups.

Thanks Leanne! I meant to add in my first post that I was using your 'just the two of us' colours as a guide:) Yep I am attempting to do another portrait, this time of my eldest daughter, but I have got cold feet with the colours (actually they are just about frozen!). But also, every time someone mentions the colours they have used in a piece, its always in the prisma range and half the time I have no clue what colour they are talking about!

I have the Derwent portraiture set, but I don't think there are enough colours in that to give real depth to the skin tones. Well at least I didn't - thank you so much for that explanation of the value breakdowns, that might just help!

I know I know, I MUST get that book, trying to save for it now, but I also need a rotary or an electric sharpener - I have seven different hand held ones that still give me problems as my derwent pencils seem to have the slightest variations in width - not all of them will even fit in the Derwent sharpener (its winter here, I have no idea if that is causing a problem with the wood barrels).

I think I will seperate my pencils as you mentioned before I do any more - that might at least get me going in the right direction:)

Lulu
07-23-2002, 05:06 AM
Hi Michelle,
I have only got 36 Derwent colours, and I've hardly used them since getting the full range of Prismas.

Am having minor surgery tomorrow, and will be in la-la land for a day or two, but when I'm back in action, I will certainly try to do a colour comparison for you with what I've got.

Trouble is, there are only a few prismas that I know the name of, off by heart. I tend to do the same as I do with pastels, and look at the colour that I want to use, instead of the name.

gemmag
07-24-2002, 04:35 PM
Hey Michelle,

I'm not sure where I got this list originally but I had cut and pasted it from somewhere and saved it to a file, sooooo,,, I'm not sure just how accurate it is so,,,, here you go, just incase it helps:

Prismacolor Derwent
Peach Lt. Rust
Goldenrod Burnt Yellow Ochre
Beige Lt. Sienna
Burnt Ochre Venetian Red
Tuscan Red Plum
Lt. Umber Vandyke Brown
Dk. Brown Sepia
Clay Rose Mars Violet
Pumpkin Orange Autumn Leaf
Pink Pink Madder Lake (barely a match)
Mineral Orange Burnt Sienna
Jasmine Gold
Burnt Ochre Terra Cotta
Terra Cotta Mahogany
Rose Pink Pink Rose (almost a match)
Blush Rose Pink Madder Lake (closer match than to PC's Pink)
Lt. Peach Salmon
Yellow Ochre Raw Sienna
Cream Champagne
Deco Pink Pink Rose (kind of light, though)
Dark Umber Chocolate
Henna Claret

Gemma

gemmag
07-24-2002, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by gemmag
Hey Michelle,

I'm not sure where I got this list originally but I had cut and pasted it from somewhere and saved it to a file, sooooo,,, I'm not sure just how accurate it is so,,,, here you go, just incase it helps:

Prismacolor Derwent
Peach Lt. Rust
Goldenrod Burnt Yellow Ochre
Beige Lt. Sienna
Burnt Ochre Venetian Red
Tuscan Red Plum
Lt. Umber Vandyke Brown
Dk. Brown Sepia
Clay Rose Mars Violet
Pumpkin Orange Autumn Leaf
Pink Pink Madder Lake (barely a match)
Mineral Orange Burnt Sienna
Jasmine Gold
Burnt Ochre Terra Cotta
Terra Cotta Mahogany
Rose Pink Pink Rose (almost a match)
Blush Rose Pink Madder Lake (closer match than to PC's Pink)
Lt. Peach Salmon
Yellow Ochre Raw Sienna
Cream Champagne
Deco Pink Pink Rose (kind of light, though)
Dark Umber Chocolate
Henna Claret

Gemma

This did not come out at all like I expected so I'm going to try again:

Prismacolor--Derwent
Peach--Lt. Rust
Goldenrod--Burnt Yellow Ochre
Beige--Lt. Sienna
Burnt Ochre--Venetian Red
Tuscan Red--Plum
Lt. Umber--Vandyke Brown
Dk. Brown--Sepia
Clay Rose--Mars Violet
Pumpkin Orange--Autumn Leaf
Pink--Pink Madder Lake (barely a match)
Mineral Orange--Burnt Sienna
Jasmine--Gold
Burnt Ochre--Terra Cotta
Terra Cotta--Mahogany
Rose Pink--Pink Rose (almost a match)
Blush Rose--Pink Madder Lake (closer match than to PC's Pink)
Lt. Peach--Salmon
Yellow Ochre--Raw Sienna
Cream--Champagne
Deco Pink--Pink Rose (kind of light, though)
Dark Umber--Chocolate
Henna--Claret

Gemma

Lulu
07-25-2002, 05:06 AM
Thanks Gemma - that just about covers the derwents that I've got. Very useful information.

wendee
07-25-2002, 08:33 AM
yes Thank you gemma..I printed this out as I have lots of derwents and everyone talks about prisma's...so I did not know what colours they where...again thanks:D

darlingart
07-25-2002, 09:37 PM
Thanks Gemma, thats great! LOL - and extremely helpful - I thought Tuscan Red sounded like it might be equivelant to derwents Terracotta - no wonder I couldn't get my black's deep enough:)

TeAnne
07-26-2002, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by gemmag


This did not come out at all like I expected so I'm going to try again:

Prismacolor--Derwent
Peach--Lt. Rust
Goldenrod--Burnt Yellow Ochre
Beige--Lt. Sienna
Burnt Ochre--Venetian Red
Tuscan Red--Plum
Lt. Umber--Vandyke Brown
Dk. Brown--Sepia
Clay Rose--Mars Violet
Pumpkin Orange--Autumn Leaf
Pink--Pink Madder Lake (barely a match)
Mineral Orange--Burnt Sienna
Jasmine--Gold
Burnt Ochre--Terra Cotta
Terra Cotta--Mahogany
Rose Pink--Pink Rose (almost a match)
Blush Rose--Pink Madder Lake (closer match than to PC's Pink)
Lt. Peach--Salmon
Yellow Ochre--Raw Sienna
Cream--Champagne
Deco Pink--Pink Rose (kind of light, though)
Dark Umber--Chocolate
Henna--Claret

Gemma
Sounds good to me :)
Ivy and I spent hours making colour samples and they can be found in the Stickys @ the top.

Linarty
07-26-2002, 09:59 AM
In my torrid past I have done some work with colour pencils and I would give this advice......take a clue from pastel artists and buy every colour from every maker you can get ahold of. Try them out, while colours may match, the way they 'work' will vary.