PDA

View Full Version : brushes

zedek
08-27-2008, 07:34 PM
does anyone use brushes for blending their pastels? If so, what kinds? when working on wallis, the one's I've tried just push the pastel off.

Paula Ford
08-27-2008, 09:27 PM
I use foam brushes and bristle brushes (the hardest and cheapest I can find) on Wallis, but mostly I let the pastels blend themselves.

zedek
08-27-2008, 10:07 PM
If I am doing a portrait and want smooth transitions (painterly like), what do you recommend blending with? I am trying to break away from using my fingers because it's not very accurate and can get a little muddy. Would a certain type of brush or sponge applicator work well for this? if so what kind?

Kathryn Wilson
08-27-2008, 10:28 PM
Have you looked into color shapers? They are like brushes - long handles, but with a rubber tip on the end instead of bristle/hair.

I am really liking how they work with pastels.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Aug-2008/14941-color_shapers_-_wc.jpg

zedek
08-27-2008, 10:51 PM
yeah, they work really well, but I am looking for something that will creat a subtle shade like when light hits an egg. Unless the color shapers do the job and I am just not using them correctly. any suggestions?

Tressa
08-28-2008, 08:28 AM
The Sofft tool applicator by Panpastels is a wonderful tool for what you are seeking. I use it for the Pans, but also for getting very soft edges and blending with the sticks. Dakota Pastels has it; order number SA63070, $3.95, and the replacement heads , order SA63071 $3.95.
Here is a pic. Tressa
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Aug-2008/76189-PICT0011.JPG

HarvestMoon
08-28-2008, 09:54 AM
I bought the pastel brushes when I first started....and find that largely- they remove the pastel....so I use them to brush off the pastel...then tried the other blending things pictured- and really my finger works best....

Tracy Lang
08-28-2008, 12:42 PM
Hi,
In a workshop with Terry Ludwig, I learned about using pipe insulation foam. You can tear off pieces to get the exact shape/size you need and it works great! You can get it at any hardware store. I also use foam packing peanuts with the same effect.

Tracy

rankamateur1
08-28-2008, 01:04 PM
I find that packing noodles work really well for blending. They don't remove pastel, can be smooshed into the shape you want for getting into small places, and since we all have an infinite supply of them you can dedicate one to each color.

Luana

aszurblue
08-28-2008, 02:38 PM
I haven't got into my PanPastels yet, just received them, I am more into the pastel pencils. I have a really really soft Hake brush that I use for blending or laying in a misty effect. I also have some so soft make-up brushes that I use.

Just about any really soft brush can be used.... Azure

DAK723
08-28-2008, 04:45 PM
I have never found anything that works as well as your finger. But yes, it can get muddy if you don't wash your hands a lot. If your finger is too wide to blend properly, work larger!:cat: Seriously, maybe that is why I tend to work larger than most of the folks here!

Don