PDA

View Full Version : Letter of the Week 'F'

Hiraeth
08-26-2008, 07:51 AM
Well, it's Tuesday and time to roll out the letter 'F'! :clap:

I had fun with this one!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Aug-2008/144882-Letter_of_the_Week_F.jpg

Looking forward to seeing everyones' letters this week! :thumbsup:

painterbear
08-26-2008, 08:20 AM
Kim,
I'm just a visitor to your forum, but I admire the art of calligraphy and wanted to see how you all approach this letter.

What fun.

I like the way you incorporated the frog in its various stages of development to illustrate the lovely capital F you wrote.

Sylvia

Hiraeth
08-26-2008, 08:47 AM
Aw, thank you, Sylvia! I did have fun with this one! :lol:

Kim,
I'm just a visitor to your forum, but I admire the art of calligraphy and wanted to see how you all approach this letter.

What fun.

I like the way you incorporated the frog in its various stages of development to illustrate the lovely capital F you wrote.

Sylvia

Continental
08-26-2008, 09:01 AM
Beautiful work on this! I love it.

quills
08-26-2008, 02:19 PM
The fun comes through in the happy frogs :wave: lovely work again :clap:

InkyEss
08-26-2008, 02:21 PM
Lovely work, Kim. I like the muted colours too. :clap:

marie_d
08-27-2008, 11:47 AM
Lovely lettering Kim. Nice little touch the frogs development from frogs spawn to the little cutie sitting in front of the 'f'.

azulparsnip
08-29-2008, 08:14 AM
Fun with Frogs - a happy take on the letter, Kim. I shouldn't even be on here- I've got oodlin's of chores. But just HAD peek in. I hope to get an F done by Sunday......

marie_d
08-30-2008, 01:20 PM
Gothic F with Pilot parallel pen.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Aug-2008/102905-gothic_f.jpg

painterbear
08-30-2008, 02:07 PM
Marie,

Your lettering is beautiful. :clap:

Sylvia

Hiraeth
08-30-2008, 02:09 PM
Very, very pretty! I haven't ordered my parallel pen yet, but this makes me want to do it NOW!!

What did you use for ink? I like that shade of blue.

Gothic F with Pilot parallel pen.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Aug-2008/102905-gothic_f.jpg

marie_d
08-30-2008, 02:39 PM
Sylvia...thank you for your lovely comment.

Kim...its the turquoisey bluey colour that comes in the assorted colour cartridges that are specifically for the pilot parallel pens. You can either get the box of 12 different colour cartridges or boxes of one colour cartridges. The blue looks a little darker here because I went over it twice to get a smooth finish with the ink flow.

Hiraeth
08-30-2008, 03:10 PM
I just ordered the 2.4 and 3.8 from Jetpens for $11 each, the best price I could find online. Can't wait until they come! : D

Sylvia...thank you for your lovely comment.

Kim...its the turquoisey bluey colour that comes in the assorted colour cartridges that are specifically for the pilot parallel pens. You can either get the box of 12 different colour cartridges or boxes of one colour cartridges. The blue looks a little darker here because I went over it twice to get a smooth finish with the ink flow.

InkyEss
08-31-2008, 12:21 PM
Marie, beautiful lettering! :thumbsup: What is a parallel pen? (Excuse my ignorance:) )

Here is my contribution... I also had 'friend' in mind :wink2:

Using similar watercolour background to the other that I did recently. The inkwork looks black in this image, but it is in fact a fact dark red.

painterbear
08-31-2008, 12:38 PM
Shaz,

I like your background and the lettering stands out nicely against it.

Here it is uploaded so people can see it when they open the thread and reply:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Aug-2008/9833-FriendsForever.jpg

Sylvia

Hiraeth
08-31-2008, 01:10 PM
Hi Sharon!

Oh, I love your watercolor! Let's see; did you use a resist, some salt, some dabbing off and some plastic to get your results? I'd love to know! I hope I can learn to do something that textured someday!

As for the parallel pen; it is made by Pilot and, as I understand, it has two nibs coming together on the edge instead of the usual one piece nib that is split for ink flow. I have never used one and am looking forward to playing with mine. I love the sharpness of the lettering I've seen done with a parallel pen.

How fun that both you and Marie chose 'friend' as your subject for the letter F. Friends are a great blessing, aren't they? :cat:

I'm going to get some watercolor paper tomorrow (if the art store is open, that is) What brand/weight do you recommend for a beginner?

Marie, beautiful lettering! :thumbsup: What is a parallel pen? (Excuse my ignorance:) )

Here is my contribution... I also had 'friend' in mind :wink2:

Using similar watercolour background to the other that I did recently. The inkwork looks black in this image, but it is in fact a fact dark red.

InkyEss
08-31-2008, 04:18 PM
Thank you Sylvia. Is there a way I can upload like that? I only know how to do the Imageshack thumbnail.

Kim, thank you so much. Getting this texture is easy really - painted one colour, let it dry, then used wax resist... poured on the green, added salt and plastic wrap. Once dry, remove the plastic and hey presto you've got an impressive textured background!:cat:

Thanks for the info about the parallel pen.

When I saw Marie's post I thought, hey great minds think alike! Friends are great.... what would we do without them! :heart:

Watercolour paper? Well, I usually just use whatever is lying around and see what happens :D . The experts would tell you make sure it is over 140lb to avoid the paper cockling (going wavy when water is used) but I have used thinner and got away with it. Bockingford is good, but has a slight texture so I'm not sure how easy it might be to do the penwork.

I often use Saunders Waterford HP (any make of hot pressed would work - it's smooth so good for wc and penwork) and I have also used Goldline cartridge paper which says it is suitable for light wash. Good luck and I look forward to seeing more wc's from you!:)

marie_d
08-31-2008, 04:30 PM
Sharon...what a lovely background. I'm glad you have explained for us how to do it. I tried to do one the other day using cling film but it didn't turn out right. Now I know why, I didn't let it dry, and maybe I should have used scrunched up cellofane? . I'm not very good at watercolour. I was also going to write forever friends but decided against it in case I couldn't match up the two capital 'f' so I shortened it to just friends :D

If you back track to letter of the week 'B' you will find loads of info and pics on the Pilot parallel pen that I uploaded for Kim.

painterbear
08-31-2008, 05:02 PM
Thank you Sylvia. Is there a way I can upload like that? I only know how to do the Imageshack thumbnail.

Open your New Thread and use the Uploader Icon (the yellow square with a mountain in it) at the top of the page. Your image should be no larger than 800 W x 800 H (I usually make mine 700 x 700). Click on the Choose File icon and select your image from your desktop. When it shows up in the window, click Upload Image. When the picture appears in the window, click on it and it will be transferred to your thread window. That's all there is to it. :D

Sylvia

Hiraeth
08-31-2008, 05:37 PM
Thanks for the step by step instructions on how to get that lovely texture! :thumbsup:

Kim, thank you so much. Getting this texture is easy really - painted one colour, let it dry, then used wax resist... poured on the green, added salt and plastic wrap. Once dry, remove the plastic and hey presto you've got an impressive textured background!:cat:

Thanks for the info about the parallel pen.

When I saw Marie's post I thought, hey great minds think alike! Friends are great.... what would we do without them! :heart:

Watercolour paper? Well, I usually just use whatever is lying around and see what happens :D . The experts would tell you make sure it is over 140lb to avoid the paper cockling (going wavy when water is used) but I have used thinner and got away with it. Bockingford is good, but has a slight texture so I'm not sure how easy it might be to do the penwork.

I often use Saunders Waterford HP (any make of hot pressed would work - it's smooth so good for wc and penwork) and I have also used Goldline cartridge paper which says it is suitable for light wash. Good luck and I look forward to seeing more wc's from you!:)

Hiraeth
08-31-2008, 05:40 PM
Hi again, Marie! So glad to know where the info on the parallel pen is located! I couldn't find it. I was surprised it was that far back--all the way to letter B!

I realized that I was in such a hurry to order the pens that I forgot to order ink to go with them! Now I'll probably have to wait for the ink to arrive before I can play. . .:rolleyes:

Sharon...what a lovely background. I'm glad you have explained for us how to do it. I tried to do one the other day using cling film but it didn't turn out right. Now I know why, I didn't let it dry, and maybe I should have used scrunched up cellofane? . I'm not very good at watercolour. I was also going to write forever friends but decided against it in case I couldn't match up the two capital 'f' so I shortened it to just friends :D

If you back track to letter of the week 'B' you will find loads of info and pics on the Pilot parallel pen that I uploaded for Kim.

azulparsnip
09-03-2008, 01:03 PM
Marie - lovely gothic Friend

Sharon - wowser on the background, was it crayons for the wax resist? letting stuff dry between is a important point I would have probably omited the first time around...very inspiring stuff. I LOVE textures...

Sylvia - thanks for adjusting the image and telling us how

Kim - tell us all about your new pens. I love even the simple Pilot pens I get at K-mart and am saving for a Falcon....Falcon custom maybe....am still learning/ studying on the difference.

Here are a couple of F's....better late than never..... I think I am adopting a technique in these, not that I won't change it as we go.....

Hiraeth
09-03-2008, 03:20 PM
I love them both, but that first one? with the fish scales? My favorite! :clap:

Marie - lovely gothic Friend

Sharon - wowser on the background, was it crayons for the wax resist? letting stuff dry between is a important point I would have probably omited the first time around...very inspiring stuff. I LOVE textures...

Sylvia - thanks for adjusting the image and telling us how

Kim - tell us all about your new pens. I love even the simple Pilot pens I get at K-mart and am saving for a Falcon....Falcon custom maybe....am still learning/ studying on the difference.

Here are a couple of F's....better late than never..... I think I am adopting a technique in these, not that I won't change it as we go.....