PDA

View Full Version : Porlock harbour

taffy
08-25-2008, 10:14 PM
After seeing Terry Harrison's paintings of English fishing harbours,I returned to my holiday photo's of Porlock in Somerset, this is my effort in mixed media (mostly acrlic) 24 x 18 on PDF board. (In future I must sand to a smooth finish, as detail tends to follow the gouche brush strokes), this has been fun to do & a great learning experience, C&C please, there are so many wrong things I know. But I am going back to Europe for a months hol,
and will revisit some of these picturesque places, one week to go!!!!!
Brianhttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Aug-2008/113459-porlock_harbour.jpg

OkeeKat
08-25-2008, 10:17 PM
Great Painting, I love all the stone work. Reflections in the water are very good but I think the water needs more blues/grays of the water.. less reflection.. it almost looks transparent. definately darker blues along the bulkhead and maybe some ripples here and there darker.. just my thoughts.

Lady Carol
08-25-2008, 10:36 PM
Kathie has good advice. The water does not tie in well with the rest of the painting.

When you paint water, you have to remember that lighter colours appear darker and darker will appear lighter. Your lighter is too light.

birdhs
08-25-2008, 10:51 PM
I noticed immediately how well you do the shape of the boats. Those darned curved hulls can go so wrong so quick. I like the way all the houses are scrunched together on this little piece of land, like they're afraid to be in the woods with the bears by themselves. The angle of the steps coming down are right on the money, too. I think this shows a great deal of talent. Thanx 4 posting, it pleaseth thine eyes.:thumbsup:

deadsam
08-25-2008, 11:21 PM
I want to get my fishing pole out and cast it in the water :)
nice painting

Bizkit
08-26-2008, 12:11 AM
I like this..right now it has a nice folk painting appeal to it, and some folk paintings are bringing a good buck right now. If you want to do some things to this here are my "suggestions" for what they are worth.
I would work on the hillside a bit more, the trees appear a bit sparse, it could use more with some detail work in them. More foliage in the background will make the houses pop right off the canvas. As far as the water goes follow Carols advice and it will work for you. Love the Boats although they seem a hint pale, put some nice warm dark complimentary colors in there to make them even more believable. Overall, a great job with great composition, well executed, and nice colors..keep it up!!!

sonita
08-26-2008, 01:16 AM
You got great advice already...I think once you work on the water a wee bit more it will be great. I really like your composition in this piece!
Soni

mpattie
08-26-2008, 01:32 AM
Brian, this is a lovely painting. I really like your composition and attention to details. Water and reflections are some of the hardest things for me to paint. Kathie has given you great advice. The water appears to shallow and transparent. Maybe some deeper colors will add depth to the water esp. up against the bulkhead.
This is just my humble opinion.
Pat

~~Kathleen
08-26-2008, 03:18 AM
Have a wonderful time searching out new and wonderful ideas Brian.
I like this.
No critiques, I think that the advise you have received will serve you well for now!
Well done.
~~Kathleen

edtree
08-26-2008, 06:36 AM
Hi Brian!

What a beautiful scene! I love all your buildings and the different elements you've added here. Nice stone/brickwork too! My suggestion would be to add the greens from the hills in your water's reflections. I took the liberty of playing with it in "Paint" and although my example is rough, you can see a bit better what I mean. I also skewed a little bit the building reflections. I hope this helps!

Elizabeth

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Aug-2008/94944-Boats_and_water.JPG

taffy
08-27-2008, 01:04 AM
Thanks for your imput folks, ive played around with it a bit, I'll have another look after I get back from hols
Regards to you all
Brianhttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Aug-2008/113459-new_2.jpg

LavenderFrost
08-27-2008, 12:00 PM
It's a very sweet painting.