PDA

View Full Version : Improvised and Alternative Easels?

Nilesh
08-25-2008, 08:46 PM
I noticed an interesting idea at about 04:09 into this video (four minutes, nine seconds in):

http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=oksana+ocean+art&emb=0#

And wondered if anyone else might have discovered or seen other alternatives?

Please feel free to share any experiences or ideas that worked well, or those that might not work so well (or even any non-improvised easels or ideas that are noteworthy in some way, or that you might have learned something from trying or seeing).

Nilesh
08-25-2008, 10:13 PM
It might be wiser to change the above link to this one instead (the youtube.com side-linked videos can potentially change from day to day, or even from hour to hour; and -- although I didn't realize it before -- it seems now as if something untoward might possibly pop up at any time; the video.google.com videos are much safer this way):

http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=oksana+art&emb=0#q=oksana%20art&emb=0

Lady Carol
08-25-2008, 10:34 PM
You in luuuuurrrrvvvvveeee with this girl. Two videos from her......?????? :wink2:

Nilesh
08-25-2008, 10:51 PM
Yes, I suppose there is an element of truth in that. And I find that it's easy to cut the works of art a bit of slack, somehow. Some of them are better than others (as with many artists' work), and I do like some of what she does, even 'objectively' speaking. It's probably difficult, though, to be totally objective (whatever that is) all (any?) of the time.

Someone in a gallery recently told me that presentation is everything. I don't know if it's truly everything; but I can see what she meant, and there's probably some truth in it.

I used to live in Hawaii as well, and I am quite homesick when I see these clips. I don't get homesick easily or often -- but it happens once in a while, and with these.

Alas.

And I like her easel idea too. I think it's a good one.

(It's not easy to be exactly objective in every case, though, and in this one; and there is also something to be said for the presentation.)

Alas.

deadsam
08-25-2008, 10:56 PM
You in luuuuurrrrvvvvveeee with this girl. Two videos from her......?????? :wink2:

lol :D

I can't use easels for some strange reason myself, I just use a drafting table set to what I like or any ole flat surface with do.

Nilesh
08-25-2008, 11:00 PM
I was able to change to the right link in the second post; but the time had expired for the first post in this thread. If possible, please change the link in the first post to the same link (the one in the second post here). Thank you.

Sooooo glad all these things can be cleared up. :) :clap:

And I'm glad Oksana still seems to be a marvelous and wholesome Hawaiian-surfer-girl and nature-lover/latter-day-Essene/cross-pollinated, sixties-loving-and-reliving Russian -- who paints in 2008, with acrylics, and in accord with contemporary Tropical-Pacific-Paradise sensibilities -- while playing John Coltrane, Tony Bennett, and the Beach Boys.

One is in awe of this melting-pot.

If anyone missed the right video for this thread, it's this one:

http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=oksana+art&emb=0#q=oksana%20art&emb=0

The easel appears at about 04:09.

howyadoin
08-25-2008, 11:53 PM
The art looks pretty generic to me. She could've had quite a career painting murals on the sides of Chevy vans in the 1970s, though.

Adriantmax
08-26-2008, 02:52 AM
Cheap alternative to a Donkey bench :).

Student's at college used to use A frame step ladders as easels sometimes using more than one side by side for really large canvases.

objectivistartist
08-26-2008, 04:33 AM
Student's at college used to use A frame step ladders as easels sometimes using more than one side by side for really large canvases. That is how I used to do my 'picture window' murals years ago, wrapping the canvas around a plyboard and leaned against the wall...

timelady
08-26-2008, 05:34 AM
I'm just seeing her sitting on some sort of bench with the painting propped up? Sort of like a donkey bench but not as comfortable or practical? You can straddle a donkey bench so you can face it directly and sit up straight; she's gonna do serious damage to her back painting that way. Then again, as someone with back problems I may just pick up on those things. ;)

Tina.