PDA

View Full Version : Two Pieces Accepted in the Appalachian PS Show

Tressa
08-25-2008, 05:09 PM
I know Doug is doing a Goal thread, and one of mine is to post in it:p , but another was to enter more shows this summer. I received notice today that two pieces I submitted were accepted for this show. The judge is Margaret Dyer. She wrote a snippit to each artist on why or why not their pieces were accepted, and I thought that was very educational and informative for those who wonder why and how a piece got in a show or wins awards.
Anyhow, here is the two; I remember what a time I had doing this one(Cherries) on the suede:eek: , and the other (Severn Run)I wanted to enter before the time limit was up, as a lot of shows do not want pieces over two years old.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Aug-2008/76189-PICT0001.JPG

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Aug-2008/76189-Severn_Run_001.JPG

Continental
08-25-2008, 05:09 PM
Both are gorgeous!

Colorix
08-25-2008, 05:37 PM
Great news!

Paula Ford
08-25-2008, 07:18 PM
That's wonderful Tres!! Congratulations!

Dougwas
08-25-2008, 07:18 PM
Congratulations Tressa!!!:clap: Those cherries are so well done. The darks just make them pop. Your river painting looks fantastic. I love the rocks.

So your next goal is....?:evil:

Doug

jemgold
08-25-2008, 08:48 PM
Tressa,
Congratulations on your entries. They are well deserved.
One of my paintings got in the same show.

Carolyn

DAK723
08-25-2008, 10:07 PM
Congrats:clap: :clap: Well deserved. They are beautiful!

Don

CindyW
08-25-2008, 10:12 PM
Yay, Tres! Excellent news!

binkie
08-25-2008, 10:35 PM
CONGRATULATIONS, TRESSA!!! Well deserved, your paintings are beautiful.

binkie

Scottyarthur
08-25-2008, 10:36 PM
You go girl! these are very nice work. Congrats and it is well deserved.

Adriana Meiss
08-25-2008, 11:09 PM
:clap: congratulations! Both are great!
It's really nice when a judge takes the time to write something.

Donna T
08-26-2008, 07:51 AM
Congrats from me, too! Beautiful work, Tres and I love those rocks especially - great colors and textures!

Donna

Karen Margulis
08-26-2008, 08:15 AM
That's great news Tressa! Both are very well deserved. I got one in too so maybe we can meet! Congrats to Carolyn too!
Karen

Rose Baggs
08-26-2008, 10:24 AM
Congratulations Tressa!!! They are both beautiful!

helenh
08-26-2008, 11:17 AM
That's fantastic Tres! And congratulations to the others who had work accepted. Since you said that it was instructive that the judge gave comments about the works, I wonder if those who were accepted wouldn't mind sharing those comments with us. It might be instructive to the rest of us. I also understand if you don't want to do that.

HarvestMoon
08-26-2008, 12:55 PM
they are both gorgeous- and very different in style...not surprised they were both accepted- you did really well- many congrads!! I LOVE the rocky water...that one really makes me do backflips...

Tressa
08-26-2008, 03:26 PM
Thanks everyone!
And congrats to Carolyn and Karen also!!!

Helen, I don't mind. I submitted three paintings but the most could be accepted was two.
1.On the Cherries the juror's comment was :
"Dynamic composition. Good draftmanship, and strong color.
2. On Severn Run her comment was:
"Sensitive treatment of color, good suggestion of texture. Confident pastel application."
3. On Patapsco Waterfalls which was not accepted her comment was:
"Would like to see more sensitivity in drawing."

IdahoHat
08-26-2008, 03:53 PM
:clap: :clap: :clap: CONGRATULATIONS! And to Karen as well. I well remember the cherries. They are truly beautiful and well done. Yes, it is so nice to hear from a judge. Let us know how the show goes.

Karen Margulis
08-26-2008, 04:04 PM
Thanks Tressa and Harriett. The reason I entered the show was to get the feedback from Margaret. I didn't expect to get anything in! That was a bonus. I will share what she wrote about mine:
1. (wildflower painting that was accepted) "lovely color, strong pastel application. Good mood established."
2. (poppy painting) "would have liked to see more sensitive drawing, more depth using value"
3. (cat painting) Would have like to seen a more sensitive address of anatomy"
I am going to make a commitment to sketch everyday to help better develop my drawing skills. So I am glad to have heard from Margaret! I think it will help me improve.
Karen

Hugsy25
08-26-2008, 04:29 PM
Congrates!!!!

Merethe T
08-26-2008, 06:04 PM
Congratulations Tres, that's wonderful! Well deserved!
Congrats to Carolyn and Karen too, way to go!

Merethe

LostInWonderArt
08-27-2008, 09:34 AM
Gorgeous pieces and great achievement.

PeggyB
08-27-2008, 01:58 PM
Congratulations Tres, both are lovely and I agree with Margaret. Hmmm - I think I remember the water scene... :D

Congratulations to Carolyn and Karen too. :clap:

It was very nice of Margaret to include the critiques. Not many jurors will do that. :thumbsup:

I've pretty much discontinues entering shows around the country because of the extreme expense of shipping work from the extreme Norhtwest. :(

Peggy

Tressa
08-27-2008, 06:17 PM
Thanks again everyone!

Peggy, thanks also...I know what you mean about entering shows away from home, but in this case, my mom lives in Asheville, which is very close (half hour) from where the show is being held, so I will be going to visit, and hand delivering my paintings, then someone in my family can pick them up for me at the end. One reason why I postponed my usual summer visit was to coincide with this if I was accepted.

Tressa

ElsieH
08-27-2008, 11:56 PM
:clap: :clap: :clap:
Congrats! Tres!
I love both pieces. Yummy cherries! Nice highlights.

Oh, I do love rock paintings! Some of my best friends are rocks! :lol:
Love the texture on the rocks in your painting!

Thanks for sharing this wonderful news!

:clap:

seosamhin
08-29-2008, 09:20 PM
Congratulations Tress, Carolyn and Karen.
Tress the cherries and the rocks are fantastic.
I entered that show too but my entry arrived eleven days after the deadline!
It took three weeks to get there.
Julia

jemgold
08-29-2008, 10:08 PM
Congratulations Karen, just realized you got into the show too. I'm sure you will do well, as your paintings are wonderful. I enjoyed the comments and that's what I like about this organization as they request the judge to comment on all entries.
I entered three of my animals
1, Clumber Spaniel puppy which was choosen
2. Golden Fall (golden retriever)
3 Patience - (golden retriever)
Good luck to all.
Julia, I'm so sorry your entry arrived so late - I had that happen to me a couple years ago on one of my entires.

ponting
10-16-2008, 01:48 AM
Congratulations Teressa. I really, really, really like the water picture!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: It would be a real award winner in my books!

Cheers, Dianna

Tatijana
10-16-2008, 02:59 AM
Congrats -I really like the water picture.

robertsloan2
10-16-2008, 03:32 AM
Congratulations, Tressa, Carolyn and Karen! Thanks for sharing the comments you got too, it helped me a lot to have some idea what judges in these shows are looking for.

Your cherries are luscious. The color is so deep and rich, and they are so real I could reach into the screen and grab some to munch on.

Severn Run was something that appealed to me a lot on your site when I clicked on it, Tressa. So happy one of my favorites got into a show. That is so beautiful, I can't resist water flowing over rocks!

Tressa
10-18-2008, 10:09 AM
Oh! Many thanks Diana! and it did win an award! So glad you stopped in!
Thanks to you Tatijana and Robert also!

Winny Kerr
10-18-2008, 12:52 PM
Congratulations Tressa :clap: I especially loved the river and rock one, both are excellent though. That must be so exciting to have your work accepted. winny