PDA

View Full Version : Weekly Scumble Aug 25 Thru 31

K Taylor-Green
08-25-2008, 11:31 AM
Morning everyone! Welcome to the Scumble, our weekly chat thread where we share the happenings of our everyday lives!

Today is my birthday! Spending it quietly with my little granddaughter, Anna, and we are going to do errands later.
We did the birthday bash Saturday night. There is a local vineyard that does a steak buffet that I love going to for my birthday. The steaks are great, the wine superb, and with family and friends, it just doesn't get much better!
You grill your own steak, there is corn on the cob, when in season, and a dessert table with a lot of variety. You sample the wines til you find one you like, then choose a bottle to go with your meal. It is fairly inexpensive compared to a lot of places, with a very convivial atmosphere. Especially after a few glasses of wine have been consumed!
I took several pictures of my girls. I hope some of the ones that my sister took of me and the girls turn out well and I get them sent to me! http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Aug-2008/41107-MattMegan_my_b-day.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Aug-2008/41107-MickiJeff-my_b-day.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Aug-2008/41107-Meg,_Mi,_Jo-my_b-day.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Aug-2008/41107-My_girls_my-b-day5.jpg

bluefish
08-25-2008, 11:50 AM
Happy Birthday!!!!!!

Those girls look as gorgeous as their mother!

enjoy the day! - 'blue....' :wave:

ChristyLB
08-25-2008, 11:56 AM
Happy Birthday!!! :)

I have an almost six-month-old baby, so the answer to the question of what is going on in my daily life is pretty much always the same... taking care of the baby!

BUT... this past weekend, in honor of my birthday (which is not for another 6 weeks or so), my sweet sweet husband bought me a pastel package of utter joy: Rembrandt 90-stick landscape set, a pack of Sennelier pastel card (9 x 12), and a pastel workshop at an upcoming Expo in Pasadena (landscape and seascape). How much does that rule??

ElsieH
08-25-2008, 12:24 PM
:wave: Hi, All!

Happy Birthday, K! :music: :music:
Oh, your family party sounds wonderful: lovely daughters, family, good food and good wine! May you have a beautiful painting year!

Christy,
Oh, how wonderful! Babies are a work of art in themselves! Enjoy! They grow up fast.
What a wonderful bunch of birthday gifts! Your hubby is a sweetie!

Life is good here! My husband, Bob is recovering from his knee surgery, we got him to and from his class he was teaching last week. This week will involve me less: I just have to drive him to campus and back with the time between on my own....PAINTING! :clap: :clap:
In fact I'm off to my studio now!
Have a great week!

Shirl Parker
08-25-2008, 12:45 PM
Are any of ya'll familiar with the Painting and Drawing Channel? It's an online source to watch videos of different art techniques. Previously you had to tune in at the exact time the show was playing which could be a little tricky because the times were listed in UK time. Now they have a feature called TV Anytime, where during the week that the videos are showing on the TV Now portion, you can watch them anytime during that week. They are quite worthwhile to watch and cover multiple media types.

For example, there is a video available right now on using color pencils. There is also a figure drawing in watercolor, and a Jackie Simmonds video on pastel.

Here is the link:

http://www.thepaintinganddrawingchannel.co.uk/tv-anytime.html

Paula Ford
08-25-2008, 01:19 PM
Happy Birthday Katherine!!!

WOW, your girls a so beautiful!!!

Deborah Secor
08-25-2008, 02:45 PM
Sounds like you had a wonderful time, Kate! Happy Birthday!!

Christy, enjoy every moment with your baby. Being a mom is the BEST.

And Elsie, enjoy getting dusty. Hope to see some of your work in the Studio... :D

Speaking of videos, rumor has it that the two I made for Artists Network TV are scheduled to go up soon, but I can't say for sure when! All in good time, I guess.

Off to take some shots of work for a calendar that's being produced locally.

See ya--
Deborah

chewie
08-25-2008, 07:19 PM
kate, that sounds so fun! just last week i had a fun visit with an old friend, some good wine, and i made goat cheese, she made sourdough bread, it was great! we talked forever! i gotta say tho., that 3rd pic was kinda funny for a second, til i focused a bit more--those wine bottles look huge! no wonder they're all smiles! hahah! but i do agree, pretty girls!

and welcome new mom! that is a tough job to say the least, but its a mighty fine one as well! do enjoy that baby. take lots of pix, and when the talking starts, write down some of those super cute things, you'll love to read them later!

we're taking bids on our house! after one year, the rural loaning program approved our plans, and turned around telling us there were no more funds tho. sooo frustrating! so now we're doing something else, unconventional, but i think it will be better.

the days have been beautiful but its hard to enjoy them when i spend so much time taking bids, calling places, etc. cant' wait til this is done!!!

kids are back to school, so i'm back to the easel. feels great, somehow summer just slid by terribly fast. wish i coulda gotten out for some plein air but it just didn't happen. bummer!

have a good week!

Kathryn Wilson
08-25-2008, 11:32 PM
Kate - those girls are gorgeous!

Happy Birthday sister in art!

May you have many, many more years of joy and happiness!!

K Taylor-Green
08-26-2008, 10:31 AM
Thank you all for the birthday wishes! It was a blast.

Christy, enjoy that new baby. It is so true that they grow up so fast. Mine are 34 and 31 and I often wonder where all the time went, especially when I look at my increased waistline and try to remember when it was small!

Chris, we are still no closer to moving than we were last year. I feel your frustration. So far economics has stalled the building of our new barn on the other property.
DHL/ABX is the largest employer in our region. They employ over 9000 people. Now, DHL is proposing a partnership with UPS that will move the whole operation to the UPS main hub. This will kill the economy for several counties.
So now we are playing a waiting game. We may be better off where we are for a couple more years, letting our renters pay the place down more.

Thanks, Kat.:heart:

Deborah Secor
08-26-2008, 12:45 PM
Deleted for reasons that will become apparent later--sorry! :D

Deborah

Dot Hoffman
08-26-2008, 04:18 PM
Chewie, I sympathize with you taking bids........arghhhhh:( Eventually, that too will pass.

Happy B-Day Kate!! Your girls are gorgeous!

Elsie, best wishes for your husband's quick recovery.

Here in ABQ, we are finally in our house, sort of. The carpet layers are here today, and the whole place is torn apart (again!) Hopefully after today we can finally start to get settled in. Both of us and the cats are stressed out. Today Sassy tried climbing up the fireplace chimney when the carpet layers were nailing in tack trips. We finally put them both in a cage (the cats, not the carpet layers :lol: ).

I'm leaving in a few minutes for a pedicure and a haircut, both well past due.

I put a pot roast in the crockpot for supper, with some carrots, and I'll make some mashed potatoes. Doesn't seem quite like a summery meal, but it's been so long since we've had "soul food" and I wanted to do what was easy.

Still don't have my art supplies unpacked. I have no idea where some of it is. Soon...........

Till later.......

Deborah Secor
08-26-2008, 07:34 PM
Okay, let me explain my odd deleted entry above... I started to tell you all about the videos, but then it turned out that they weren't ready to go live yet. I had to go out for the day so I just deleted it... So... I hope you don't mind if I shout the news that's been waiting to come out since April of this year

:music: :music: WHOO HOO! THE VIDEOS ARE FINALLY LIVE!!!:music: :music:

I feel better now... :thumbsup: You can go see the previews at www.artistsnetwork.tv

I had a woman ask me yesterday what it felt like to be "famous." I told her I don't feel famous, but writing for the magazines has probably made my name better known. She probably had a much more glamorous image of me than reality proved until she met me. I hope these videos make me seem more real to you in the same way, too!

I'm dying to know what you all think!

Deborah

Shirl Parker
08-26-2008, 07:37 PM
http://www.artistsnetwork.tv/

Deborah Secor
08-27-2008, 12:13 PM
Thanks, Shirl.

ElsieH
08-27-2008, 05:19 PM
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Deborah WooooooHooooooo! is right!

Way to go!

I just went over and signed in and there your were!
Oh, it will be just like having a visit with a dear friend!....and learning, too!

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!:music: :music: :music: :clap:

Deborah Secor
08-27-2008, 05:29 PM
:D Elsie, thanks for your enthusiasm. I appreciate it... :heart:

Deborah

Dot Hoffman
08-27-2008, 05:48 PM
Deb, the videos are so YOU! Perfect! Makes me even more glad I can take your classes (after I get unpacked of course :lol:)!

Hugs,

Shirl Parker
08-27-2008, 06:58 PM
Very nice Deborah, I've watched one and am looking forward to the second.

Deborah Secor
08-28-2008, 10:53 AM
:heart: Dot, thanks... It's so odd watching yourself. I'm glad you're taking my class, too--keep unpacking! We're doing trees this week and next.

Thanks Shirl... I appreciate hearing this. :D

Deborah

CJMonty
08-28-2008, 12:11 PM
Hi Everyone,

I'm afraid I haven't been a very frequent visitor of late, this is for 2 reasons, I have spent some of my time over in the Watecolour Forum as that is what I am concentrating on at the moment and am gradually improving. I'll let you all know when I have a picture up over there.

Also I have actually been quite sick on and off since early April. Since April 5th I have only worked 5 weeks in all. I am just recoveing from having had pneumonia and am hoping to be back at work on 13th September all going well. I have a check up next Tuesday afternoon. The new Immunosuppressants seem to be doing there job in that department, but unfortunately my Liver Functions have deteriorated yet again but I don't think that will stop me going to work. I will only have to work a few weeks as on 10th November I am on 6 weeks Annual Leave until 24th December.

The reason that I have been doing watercolours for awhile is that I want them to improve enough to have a go at using watercolour as an underpainting for my pastels.

We are currently in the midst of renovating the back patio area, so far all the supports are in place and the new limestone wall and pillars are up, the pillars are purely ornamental. We have bought the wood ready for DH to make up the trusses. (Everything has been done by hubby). It will be an all weather area as instead of using shadecloth as a cover which is what had been there the past 20+ years.We are going to put up a cream Laserlite, it only allows in 35% heat but gives you 56% Light.Hopefully we should have it more or less finished by November as the hot weather will be returning by then. Even though it has been winter when the late afternoon sun hits the back of the house boy does it get hot, especially if you are working in the kitchen and the light glares on the steel sinks too.

I will try to make the time to put in more of an appearance in the future and keep you all up to date with how things are going.

I'm still going around with no hair, can't believe it is nearly 12 months now, I've quite grown to like it, but there are a few areas where the regrowth is pretty sparce so it would look worse than without.

Think of you all often, in fact most days.
Take Care and keep having fun.
Lots of Love Carolynn :) :) :heart: :heart: :heart:

ElsieH
08-28-2008, 12:40 PM
:wave: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Oh, Carolyn! So nice to hear again from you! Do take care and hoping you continue to gain in strength and health!
The new area of your house sounds great! Enjoy that new shade and heat cover.
Watercolors! Enjoy that work, too! As my "other" medium, I know how it is to try to swim back and forth between media and between forums at WC, too!
Check in with us whenever you can! Thoughts and prayers going your way!
:heart: :heart: :heart:

ElsieH
08-28-2008, 12:49 PM
:wave: Hi, All,

Oh, I just have to squeeze in another little post here before I head off to my studio.

I just drove into town to pick up my granddaughter to take her off to school for a meeting....Grandma's Taxie, here! :angel: :heart: Oh, the joy of seeing one's grandbabies grow up!

Anyhow, as I drove into town, about four miles, it was a delightful morning
here on the Wisconsin Prairie Land!
Corn/Maze, is so high that as you drive along, the rooftops and barntops and silos stick up like floating objects in this sea of green with golden tones comes on, and the tassles above are turning a deep red-gold! Here and there a Burr Oak pops it head up above the Tall Grass Prairie-turned Farms and with Tall Corn, like mushrooms. Maybe I feel a very wide, not too tall painting coming on! :clap: :clap: :clap:

K Taylor-Green
08-28-2008, 10:06 PM
CJ, it is good to hear from you! You be sure to take care of yourself. Stop and see us more often.

Elsie, that sounds like a wonderful idea for a painting. I do the Grandma's taxie thing, too. Two of the boys had soccer practice this evening. Makes for a long day, but they do enjoy it so, and my daughter and hubby work such long days.

Tomorrow, I start a long weekend that turns into a week's vacation! It is fair week, the grand kids are in 4-H, and my daughter is off for the week. Schools for that county will be closed as well. I have a painting to finish and ship, dogs to work with, and a hunt test next weekend!!

Snowbound
08-30-2008, 08:57 PM
Well, I'm back, finally. Just in time, too. Carolynn, sweetie, I hope you get over this hump soon and the meds do their job and you can get away from them a bit. The liver thing is worrisome-- are you taking silymarin to help? I've been wondering about your hair. I do think you look beautiful without it, but unless you are a Buddhist celibate, I guess in our society it must be kind of a drag.

Just when I started feeling better after several months treatment for lyme and babesiosis, three things happened: my red blood count had been a bit low, but now both red blood cell count and hematocrit are low, so bunch more tests. Phooey. I'm not terribly worried, but there is that bit of niggle at the back of one's mind.

Then... two months ago, I managed, in my very own living room, not an obstacle or rug edge in sight, to fall right on top of my foot and tore several ligaments in my ankle. Ice, legs elevated, air brace, crutches, physical therapy. And it is my driving foot!

THEN MY COMPUTER CRASHED. It had been getting flakier and locking up and crashing repeatedly, and I was contacting all sorts of support people, who kept telling things to do that didn't help at all. I got so sick of the BSOD (I'd never seen XPs version before- different). And right after I sprained my ankle it gave up, wouldn't let me log on. There I was, stuck to the sofa, and my daughter couldn't get up to take my puter to the puter hospital, either. Sob.

Finally this week my PT released me for light duty (which I've pushed a bit) and the first thing I did was drive it up. Bad hard drive, corrupted OS. They were able to save most of the data (I had the most critical things backed up), except my email, which is missing chunks of saved messages. I'm still working through reloading software and locating the data that goes with it.

The smart thing I did, though, was when this started looking serious, was copy all of my log-in names and passwords and printing them on one piece of paper. That is saving my you-know what. (Afterwards I'll eat the paper.)

The good thing: I got lots of reading done, didn't worry about housework (I'm paying for it now), and because I couldn't stand at the easel, did lots of sketching and playing around with ideas. Sometimes I'd hobble out to the deck, and sit there and play with whatever. I've got soooo many ideas for multi-media stuff, I don't know where to begin or even how.

Now then:

Chewie, I'm dying to know what your mysterious "alternative plan" is. Life does send us in some unexpected directions sometimes. You sound a little excited about this one. I hope it works out for you. Though the bidding on your house must be stressful. Keeping fingers crossed.

Katherine, Happy belated BD! Lovely family. Your daughters look so much alike. Are they twins? Should I know this already?

Deborah, when I am sane again, I'll take a look at your video. You sound positively giddy!

Everyone else, I loved seeing you here and wish I could give each of you a hug. I am soooo happy to be back. Right now, I am going right back out there and start reading about what everyone is doing these days. I am so far behind!

Hugs to all,
Dayle Ann

K Taylor-Green
08-30-2008, 09:31 PM
Dayle Ann, what an awful time for you! Your poor ankle! But to not have your computer!!! :eek: :eek: Horrors!

Thanks for the belated birthday wishes, and the lovely compliments on my girls. That always warms a mother's heart. But they are three yrs apart. Micki, on the right, is 34. Megan is 31.