PDA

View Full Version : Froggy!!!!

crumbedbrains
07-22-2002, 05:14 PM
Hi everyone,
Just finished this little guy, thought I'd post it here and the wildlife forum. For those of you that had a peek at my sugar glider, I'm sorry for the continued "black background rainforest critter" theme but I think I'm becoming obsessed!!

mf.sutton
07-22-2002, 05:48 PM
once again I am in awe, this is tremendous -

mike

Rick R
07-22-2002, 08:06 PM
Both of the paintings you've posted are nothing short of amazing. I especially like the throat of the frog, and the skin texture and colors in general.

I'm having a hard time visualizing how you drew the fine lines, such as in the branch, even with sharpened hard pastels. How large is it?

Would you also tell me what paper you are using, and if you are fixing between layers?

Thanks!

- Rick

Elinor
07-22-2002, 08:13 PM
Ohh he is gorgeous!! I feel like he is going to jump right out at me any minute. Your work is incredible. :)

Ivyleaf
07-22-2002, 11:26 PM
OMG that is great :)

:D :D :D
Ivy

TeAnne
07-22-2002, 11:58 PM
Abolute perfection. I love stark black backgrounds, gives the work more punch. :clap: :clap: :clap:

crumbedbrains
07-23-2002, 07:54 AM
Thanks Mike, Rick, Elinor, Ivy & Teanne for the kind comments.

Rick, to answer your questions:
The size is about A3 or half a Canson sized sheet. The paper is Stonehenge Black 245gsm (I find the Canson buckles on me . . don't know if others have the same problem). I do fix and only at the end of my painting. I've seen other threads where people are spraying half way through on sub-layers but not fixing for the final layer. I'm only new to art in genral so I can't give you any advice on this subject but I do know that I've had a painting smudged by incompetent framers and I never wanted that to happen again . .so I fix (but only lightly).

As far as the fine lines are concerned . . they're not that fine. The lines on the branch are quite coarse (as coarse and loose as my neurotic mind will allow me!! :rolleyes: ). They were made just by dragging a soft pastel (You might be able to see if you zoom in). I try never to press down hard on pastel when doing stuff like this. . basically hold very loosely and let the weight of the pastel make the mark.

When I want very fine lines (see sugar glider tail on my last thread or some of the fine lichen on the branch above) I sharpen a hard pastel (using a file on all sides so it forms a tetrahedron or pyramid shaped pencil tip) and again hold very, very lightly (to the point where you're grip is so light you feel you're going to drop it!!) and then drag the pastel across the paper only allowing the weight of the pastel to make the mark. You have to experiment . . for example, if you want to make short wiry fur, use shorther strokes and give the hard pastel a bit of a twist as your dragging . .you'll find you lose some control and it gives you quite an angular look (fur is not done well with a lot of quick sharp strokes in one direction). Anyway I ramble, that's how I do it as I'm self taught (got to in a small town).

Thanks very much again for your interest.

Oh yeah, I forgot the most important ingredient . . time . . time . . time.

labang
07-23-2002, 08:17 AM
Incredible detail for pastel, I'm in awe again! :clap:
Elly

KarenU
07-24-2002, 08:15 PM
Your pastels are just astounding and I would never tire of that black background...it really makes your images just pop. Thanks so much for your descriptions of how you achieve such fine details! :D

mmdm
07-24-2002, 09:02 PM
He is truly wonderful! Love the texture of his skin. How in the world do you keep your background so nice and clean though? I always get pastel dust on mine and end up having to paint in a background.

crumbedbrains
07-25-2002, 04:58 AM
Thanks for the nice comments Elly, Karen and Melisa.

To keep the background clean I use a stick that I rest on so I don't touch it for a start. I blow off most of the dust as it accumulates (health risk? . . add life to your days not days to your life!!:D ) and use a kneadable eraser to pluck the remaining dust off. It's a bit of care but I'm shocking at backgrounds so it's worth it for me.
Cheers
Crumbedbrains

Dima
07-25-2002, 06:33 AM
It is incredible what do can do with pastels, Crumbedbrains.
Such detail and accuracy!!

Dick

crumbedbrains
07-26-2002, 06:24 AM
Thanks for looking Dick.

Laura Brito
07-26-2002, 08:49 PM
That frog is just amazing, there are no words to describe my desire to be able to do something like that! Wow, you say your lines are not fine,........well my little feable mind tells me you are a master at this and I am just a scribbler! hehe, wow, How long did this take you and how did you do that! hehe

WOW WOW WOW! I am in awe....

Laura

ceEllicott
07-27-2002, 01:53 AM
wow.

So THAT'S what I'm supposed to do with the dark colored pieces of paper in my mixed color tablet.

:)

cheryl

Sadgylee
07-27-2002, 10:45 AM
This is sooooooo realistic. Love the colors and I too like black backgrounds to make something stand out.

Did you use soft pastels or oils? Wish I had your talent and patience :)

light
07-27-2002, 01:35 PM
I love it, I love it, I love it! And I love the dramatic effect of the black background! I love little critters and you have done this sweetie great justice!
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

crumbedbrains
07-27-2002, 08:56 PM
Thanks Laura, Cheryl, Sadgylee & Light for th positive feedback.

:)

Laura, this one was relatively quick for me . . it took one weekend . .(which included heaps of coffee breaks, what the footy, etc etc . . . so in hours? dunno, maybe about 20 or so)

Cheryl, we should swap!! I'll send you all my leftover light sheets and you send over the darks!! LOL:D :D

Sadgylee - a combination of soft and hard (often depends which colours are availabale in each :D )

Cheers
Crumbedbrains