GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Heron
Year Created:
Medium: Pen/Ink
Surface: Board
Dimension: 14x17
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
This is the first serious attempt with pen and ink done mainly at the insistence of my wife who has been suggesting for years that it would be a good medium for my work. It is the result of several reference photos that became a pencil drawing and then this work.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Any and all suggestions are welcome

tgsloth
08-24-2008, 12:14 PM
It's magnificent both in terms of composition and execution. I can't imagine a way to criticize it. I was going to suggest you do some ink/wash watercolors to get some color into your work but looking at your web link, it seems you're going away from color. So...you're on top of this medium at the first try.

tony1
08-24-2008, 02:16 PM
I'm glad you listened to your wife. Great drawing skills and command of pen and ink.

My only crticism is of a compositional nature. I'd like to see the features over the branch, or extend down behind the branch. I don't like them ending AT the branch. Maybe it's just me.

Regardless, great work hope you do and post more...

Bizkit
08-24-2008, 02:31 PM
Magnificent!!!!!!!!!!!

KTusa
08-24-2008, 03:40 PM
Rich, These pen design is enough for an Uncyclopedia. Very beautiful pen(ink) work!

RichD
08-24-2008, 03:54 PM
Thanks all for the response, but remember I have to live with her.....and that means another "I told you so"...after 34 years you would think I would learn.

tgsloth....I am actually thinking of adding a light blue wash for highlights but think I will try it on a print first. Tried it in PSP and it looked nice....we will see if I have the courage.

tony1..the whole branch idea is the result of an unfortunate accident resulting in several large 'blobs' of ink where other stuff belonged so....the knots in the branch, the center of the leaves and some of the highlights in the feathers are purely accidental :eek:

Corby
08-24-2008, 10:23 PM
and so it goes with pen and ink! Been there done that! More than I would like to remember. But you have shown yourself to be quite adept at recovering. It is a beautiful piece. I am just sort of non plussed at the abrupt ending of the bird...cannot his lower body be extended and faded out just below the branch? It would visually be much more graceful.

Barbie Bud
08-24-2008, 10:56 PM
I agree with Corby about not ending him abruptly on the branch. Maybe some feathers extending below the branch???? It is really wonderful

gerardina
08-25-2008, 08:03 AM
splendid! :clap:

RichD
08-25-2008, 08:56 AM
Thanks for the feedback....I think I will sketch in some feathers below the branch and see how I like it.

Spyderbabe
08-25-2008, 11:06 AM
Face it Rich - she's right again!

La_
08-25-2008, 12:47 PM
Thanks for the feedback....I think I will sketch in some feathers below the branch and see how I like it.

I'm sure you'll like that solution ... it's believable for him to be standing behind the foreground branch, and definitely believable for his tail feathers to continue

amazing work here anyway, very nicely done

la

RichD
08-28-2008, 05:57 PM
Face it Rich - she's right again!

I am the 'wife' thanks!! it only took me 20 years to convince him to use this medium! Actually we went to an art store and I was not going to leave until we bought the PEN AND INK:clap:

Best.

Aveniel

goby
08-28-2008, 07:03 PM
Yea Girl Power!!! This is beautifully done, but I must agree about extending the feathers.
Goby