PDA

View Full Version : Where do you find?

Hugsy25
08-23-2008, 06:55 PM
I heard talk of people making their own pastel paper using Gesso and ground pumic stone... where do you find the pumic stone? Do you have to grind your own? The only pumic stone I've been able to find is a big chunky thing on a rope LOL... I'm willing to try to ground this up myself... but if there is somewhere I can actually buy it already ground up I'd prefer to buy it that way!

Tressa
08-23-2008, 07:06 PM
lol, I wouldn't go that far! Some art stores carrybut easiest is to order online. Most online art suppliers have it.
Here is a link to Dakota, is at the bottom of the page.

http://www.dakotapastels.com/pages/pastelaccessories-primersgrounds.aspx
Tressa

Deborah Secor
08-23-2008, 07:47 PM
Or check the local woodworkers supply or jewelry supply house where pumice is used for polishing, or a potters supply as it's used in making pottery, too.

Have you done a search here and in the Pastel Studio under 'pumice'? I think you'll find more discussion and answers!

Deborah

Hugsy25
08-23-2008, 08:02 PM
I haven't tried a search no... I'll have to do that.

Poor little PEI isn't known for having what I need LOL. I have a look around. Maybe check Michaels but I won't hold my breath for them. If not I'll have to save up and order some when I finally decide which brand of pastels I want to try first. I'm in the market for some good pastels too I'm leaning towards trying Art Spectrum first.

Thanks for the help!

johndill01
08-23-2008, 11:23 PM
Phyllis, from much searching for a period of time for pumice, the best source that I have found is a pottery supply house, followed closely by a friendly local dentist, (who might order it for you). Very few, if any, hardware stores are carrying or even able to order pumice any more. I don't know what has caused the shortage, but even specialty hardware stores cannot even order it from their catalogs any longer. Short of having one of the previous options, then an internet supplier is you next best choice.

John

darlingart
08-23-2008, 11:49 PM
Definitely go with the art spectrum, its very easy to apply with a wet foam roller that you get at the hardware/craft shop.

I use in on mdf boards and canvas for my oil paintings and I am about to put some on mat board as well for my pastels.

Do a few layers, roll on vertical, let it dry, roll next layer horizontal, then another vertical layer if you want. You can also sand it down with fine wet and dry sandpaper from the hardware to get a more velvety finish.

Put in on thick good quality watercolour paper and you can take it in the shower and wash it off if you don't like the painting!

You can add acrylic paint to colour the colourfix primer, and there is also a clear one if you are using coloured paper.

Colourfix primer - best stuff since sliced bread;)

Peiwend
08-24-2008, 01:09 AM
Pumice can be ordered from Lee Valley Tools at leevalley.com . Look in the wood finishing section. They have two different grits and it is $7.50 Canadian for a one pound container. Phyllis, they also have a retail store in Halifax at the Bayers Lake Business Park.

I like the Art Spectrum pastels very much but the best value are, probably, the Mount Vision Pastels. I ordered both in open stock from fineartstore.com and their shipping to PEI for pastels is fairly reasonable in price (about $20.00 to $30.00 for a large order). According to the book from huechroval.com the weight of an Art Spectrum Pastel is 16 grams while that of a Mount Vision Pastel is 21 grams.

Hope this helps...

_______________________________Wendell

darlingart
08-24-2008, 06:37 AM
Oops I thought you meant you were thinking of using the art spectrum colourfix primer which is what I was referring to in my post rather than the AS pastels themselves, which I also recommend, but they might be more expensive in the US since they are made in here in Australia.

Michelle

Hugsy25
08-24-2008, 10:52 AM
Thanks Wendell

and Michelle I still appreciate the advice because I was also looking at the Art Spectrum Colorfix Primer as an option, and as a bonus I think I've seen it for sale at my local Michaels.