PDA

View Full Version : A Question of Hands?

InkyEss
08-23-2008, 04:24 PM
I am having a problem in choosing which 'hand' to use... I've looked at uncial, round, gothic/black letter, italic, etc. There are elements in each that I like but also elements that I don't like.... is it acceptable in calligraphy to vary the lettering to suit your own style?

To explain, I start to practice a particular hand and then get to a letter and think "hey, I don't like the look of that letter, I want to make my 'I' or 'J' (or something), different." Is it frowned upon to make an odd letter your own?

I just love the Gothic capitals, but not so keen on the lower case lettering. Can you mix and match? :D

My other question is: Is round hand the same as Roman? Only it looks much the same to me, although in one book it shows the lettering very slightly different to another.

Shaz

quills
08-24-2008, 05:41 AM
Your free to do whatever you want Sharon your the Artist :clap:

BUT unless you do the boring hard grind of studying the basic foundational letterforms
and it is boring and it needs everyday parctice with very critical self assesment ( that in itself is difficult.) unless you do the work the result will usually be a poor letter.

Edward Johnston gave an example of 28 ( at first glance identical ) miniscule letter a's
only 1 was written correctly.

InkyEss
08-24-2008, 09:24 AM
BUT unless you do the boring hard grind of studying the basic foundational letterforms
and it is boring and it needs everyday parctice with very critical self assesment ( that in itself is difficult.) unless you do the work the result will usually be a poor letter.

Thank you, Neil. The trouble with me is I always want to run before I can walk! :lol:

I am still practising... and managing to do some on a daily basis so far. I think I really need to practice the forms of each letter in order to get them to a reasonable standard. I'm doing that and also little projects in which to use them. :)

quills
08-24-2008, 10:30 AM
I'm certain you will produce fine work Sharon, You have the all the talent and a good eye for line :wave:

Hiraeth
08-25-2008, 08:54 AM
Hi Sharon,:wave:

Quills gave you some priceless advice! You will never regret the time you spend in the beginning learning foundation letterforms, boring though it may seem at the time. It will affect your lettering for years to come.

Edward Johnston (my 'own' calligraphy muse) put it this way:

Within the limits of our craft we cannot have too much freedom. . ." Edward Johnston, Writing and Illuminating and Lettering

Your free to do whatever you want Sharon your the Artist :clap:

Edward Johnston gave an example of 28 ( at first glance identical ) miniscule letter a's
only 1 was written correctly.

InkyEss
08-26-2008, 02:53 PM
Thank you Neil for your kind words, means a lot to me.

Thanks also Kim. I know I need to discipline myself and take things slow and steady. yes, I can see the sense in what you are saying.

I have just had a delivery of lots of inks and several calligraphy books:clap: .

Looking at the books they show quite a bit about how to get the width and height right. And wow, there's so much more to calligraphy than I first thought... just reading about colour and getting so many ideas!

Anyway, I'm off to practice! :)

Hiraeth
08-26-2008, 03:00 PM
OOOooo! A delivery of ink and books! What fun!

I'm looking forward to seeing you develop and grow as a calligrapher! So glad that you are sharing your journey with us!

What books did you get?

Thank you Neil for your kind words, means a lot to me.

Thanks also Kim. I know I need to discipline myself and take things slow and steady. yes, I can see the sense in what you are saying.

I have just had a delivery of lots of inks and several calligraphy books:clap: .

Looking at the books they show quite a bit about how to get the width and height right. And wow, there's so much more to calligraphy than I first thought... just reading about colour and getting so many ideas!

Anyway, I'm off to practice! :)

InkyEss
08-26-2008, 05:28 PM
Pen Lettering by Ann Camp
Osmiroid Colour Calligraphy
The Art of Calligraphy by George L Thomson
Illuminated Calligraphy and Illuminated Designs by Patricia Carter
(All bargains from ebay):thumbsup:
Also, Collins Calligrapherís Companion (this one is a library book and looks full of interesting stuff).

The inks I got during my lunchbreak, so I'm all set to go.

Iíve been practising this evening and if I manage to fit in some practice each day hopefully by the weekend I will be ready to do a nice little project to show you.

Iím so glad I found this forum, itís an inspiration!:clap:

Hiraeth
08-26-2008, 06:10 PM
I don't have any of those in my collection! I'm curious about the Osmiroid one; I use osmiroid nibs but I can't find them here in the US anymore. Are they available in the UK?

Looking forward to your next project!

InkyEss
08-27-2008, 08:54 AM
I may be completely wrong here, but didn't Osmiroid get taken over by another company?

I have an Osmiroid pen and various nibs, but I haven't attempted to buy any recently, so I don't know about the availability here in UK. I suppose you could try ebay?

quills
08-27-2008, 09:04 AM
Your well set up Sharon happy times ahead :)
If you do not wish to sharpen the fountain pen nib, they often letter better and with cleaner edges upside down.

marie_d
08-27-2008, 11:43 AM
Lots of goodies there Sharon, if your anything like me I'm like a child in a toy shop when I get anything new or different. You have a few good book titles, must admit I dont buy many calligraphy books. The last one I bought was from amazon it was one of Marie Lynskeys books, very informative.
Anyhow have fun...you wont know which to look at first :D

Hiraeth
08-27-2008, 12:00 PM
I have one of Marie Lynskey's books, 'Creative Calligraphy'

In that book, she includes a very nice tutorial on certificates; I hope to use her instructions on adding ribbons when I make my son's high school (home school) graduation certificate this year.

Lots of goodies there Sharon, if your anything like me I'm like a child in a toy shop when I get anything new or different. You have a few good book titles, must admit I dont buy many calligraphy books. The last one I bought was from amazon it was one of Marie Lynskeys books, very informative.

Hiraeth
08-27-2008, 12:01 PM
I'll have to give that a try. Does the ink flow in the same way?
If you do not wish to sharpen the fountain pen nib, they often letter better and with cleaner edges upside down.

Hiraeth
08-27-2008, 12:02 PM
Thanks for the suggestion to check out ebay. I found some there! : D

I may be completely wrong here, but didn't Osmiroid get taken over by another company?

I have an Osmiroid pen and various nibs, but I haven't attempted to buy any recently, so I don't know about the availability here in UK. I suppose you could try ebay?

InkyEss
08-28-2008, 08:10 AM

Quills, I didn't know you could (or should) sharpen pen nibs? :eek:

Kim, so glad I could help. Ebay can be addictive!:D

InkyEss
08-28-2008, 08:13 AM

Sorry, Marie, missed your post.

Yes, the dilemma is in choosing which one to read first! :lol:

However, that will not deter me from keeping an out for Marie Lynskeys books in the future! :wink2: