PDA

View Full Version : Pastel Environment Hanging

Finnegan18
08-23-2008, 11:59 AM
I have a second bathroom that is seldom used. Would it be safe to hang a pastel painting in it or should I keep it away from any potential moisture? It is framed under glass. Thanks for any advice.

Deborah Secor
08-23-2008, 12:09 PM
If it's valuable and you don't want to take any chances, no. The moisture will build up in the room when it's used and will take its toll. Using a good outside-vent fan will help, of course, as long as you're always sure it's turned on.

I have a less-than-dear pastel hanging in my bathroom and the mats may start to warp, or there may be some water damage eventually, but I'll chuck it when the time comes and use the frame for another painting! I figure these are just a little paper, pastel, and time, and if it makes the bathroom look nice for a few years, that's plenty reason enough to hang it there and I can bear the cost.

Deborah

PeggyB
08-23-2008, 01:49 PM
I have a pastel that I value hanging in a "double door" bathroom that is used daily. It hangs in the area that has just two sinks, and the door to the bathtub and toilet is closed when they are in use. It has hung there for about 6 years now, and there is no damage what so ever to painting or mats. I also live in the damp, dark Pacific NorthWET so dampness is a constant here.

Having said that I think Deborah's advise is good if you are planning on putting it into a standard one door bathroom if you live in an area that is as damp as it is here.

Peggy

M Douglas
08-23-2008, 02:01 PM
I have a pastel hanging in my main floor bathroom which only consists of a sink and toilet and it's doing fine. But I wouldn't hang one in a bathroom with a shower or bathtub. Those long hot showers can generate alot of steam.

Melodie

Finnegan18
08-23-2008, 09:50 PM
Thank you. I decided to hang it elsewhere. I think I will hang a print in the bathroom. :)