PDA

View Full Version : Blue trees

Pamla
08-23-2008, 11:40 AM
The 32 x 40's sell for $300 and the thumbnails sell for $165 do you think that is fair pricing?http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Aug-2008/113930-bluetreesweb.jpg

Linee
08-23-2008, 12:53 PM
When you speak of a "thumbnail" what size exactly are you talking about? The price for the large seems a little low, but I'm not much of a price-advisor. You might want to inquire in the business section http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=32.

A very bold on colorful style you have going for you. Those leaves seem to move!

Bizkit
08-23-2008, 12:58 PM
Pam-Welcome! Very nice work you have here!!! So the pricing question, well, Ive got alot of prerequiste question before that can be answered........

Have you sold before?
Where?
what are the 30x40's done in Giclee, prints, originals?
Are you in a good market?
Do you think your prices are fair?
Would you buy it for that price?
Its hard for me to judge on weather or not your pricing is correct as I dont really know your market. Here in New Orleans, French Quarter, pricing can be anywere from $10 on Jackson square to $100,000 in a Gallery. Mine are in a Gallery that pretty much caters to new upcoming artist and are priced what I believe to be VERY modest for the market here. I will say, if I were in Miami or San Fransisco I would have the prices tripled and I could probably get it. So we need a bit more information before we can accurately answer your question........

susme48
08-23-2008, 01:54 PM
Interesting trees, Pam...and welcome!!

Pricing is something that I have a hard time understanding, that is for sure! I see others in the one gallery I am in, with stuff for $800-900., where mine is much less ($150-11x14 and $200-18x20). Alot of the rest is priced a bit lower at the steakhouse...from $45-125.00..but no commission out of those. I have been told that is too high, and that it is too low. It seems to depend on the person....:confused:

But then it is just a year next week that I started painting. And much of my stuff is on paper, not canvas. I also have to take into account that I am almost 100 miles or more from a big city, where they might go for more. We shall see maybe when my one goes up for auction on PBS. :)

Charlie's Mum
08-23-2008, 04:36 PM
I do like this! Bright,dancing .. nice!

I'm really not sure what you mean by thumbnail paintings!
To most of us a thumbnail is a tiny, quick sketch to work out composition, tonal value/distribution etc!

What size is this painting and is it on canvas, framed, paper and matted? etc etc.

The prices you charge depend on your market, how well known you are to the market and what people are prepared to pay. All you can do is hope you select your prices correctly!

OkeeKat
08-23-2008, 05:14 PM
I love the colors in this one.. Pricing I can't say not sure what to say there!

Lady Carol
08-23-2008, 10:20 PM
The value of a painting is only worth what the buyer will pay.

I has to say that 32X40 seems to be incredibly cheap. And I have no idea what a thumbnail is.

Pamla
08-24-2008, 05:06 PM
The thumbnails are usual 8 x 10's and I know if it will work into the larger 32 x 40. I've found it saves myself a lot of time because not everything in this style works well large. I call them thumbnails because they are where I'm working out everything wike I would in my sketchbook in the field.
As far as my market... it's not the best here at least for locals but it is a good tourist area as I'm near Branson I just don't have enough of the large ones finished to take a body of work to any of the galleries though I'm showing in small shops locally.
These are the originals not prints.
I think my prices are fair and I'm in a position where I don't have to seek sales venues anymore and can afford to paint even if I never sell another piece however, I think that may mean I have stacks of paintings all over my house :)
I think that was all the questions. ta ta for now

Stephanie
09-08-2008, 06:09 AM
it's probably just me, but does that mean 8in X 10in or 8ftX10ft? great paintings either way, just curious:)

Pamla
09-08-2008, 12:51 PM
:lol: 8 x 10 inches, I don't think I have the stamina or patience to do it in feet.