GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Papagos
Year Created: 2002
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 16x20
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Ok, so we have red rocks out here... You know, it looks a lot like Arizona now and then.
These are the Papagos. A bunch of nifty cheese holed lumps in the middle of town. They are near the Botanical Gardens where I will be doing a two day show in October, so good PR is inspiring me to do the area, and the cactus in the garden.
This is so typically southwestern I am not as thrilled with the painting as I was with the IDEA of it.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
between 7 and 7:30 the light is radical. In fact, it is the only time there is much color besides HOT. Driving through these in the evening was something out of a "do it yourself southwestern art" manual.
I think I over did it. I may have gotten the vibrancy, but I am not sure I held the mass of the rocks...
input me
dj*

giniaad
07-22-2002, 05:22 PM
Vibrant...yup...and very nicely so...

holding the mass of rocks...
perhaps...I think, maybe...
the tree that comes from "our" side of the road
blends too much with them...
leaves/ rocks...different textures...
and not placed in the same plane would be better here
ie...focus/ depth shown better between them...
it's the only thing I can think of...
that might visually help
distinct the mass of rocks

what do you think?

Brooke
07-22-2002, 05:38 PM
Ditch the car. That was the first thing my eye went to. It became a picture of a car in front of a moutnain of rockl
I would also crop a bit off the beautiful blue sky and add more of those luscious trees or a few bushes. Beautiful piece. Keep atit.

djstar
07-22-2002, 07:28 PM
hate it/love it/hate it... etc.
I think without the break at the bottom, it looks really monotonous. Just the slash of the road may work...
I sort of liked the color.
One of those weird things that happens when I take photos. I get so STUCK on the "portrait of the place' it is like a lack of integrity to get rid of the thing that pins it to the spot. It is from a freeway.
Without the road, it is ... more nature.... ok, I think I may try that...
very good point I was aware of and not sure I had the energy to work out the solution.

and gini, that is absolutely right about the near tree!
I was working so abstractly I was looking at forests and not seeing the TREE.
dj*

jerryW
07-22-2002, 07:35 PM
love the wonky shapes
have a great show!
you rock!

Corrie Scott
07-22-2002, 07:48 PM
You certainly captured the heat and vibrancy.
Love the yellow line by the road.

Linda Ciallelo
07-22-2002, 10:22 PM
Whoa!!! very nice!!! I like this. I say keep the car and turn up the volume on the green trees. They need to be a notch brighter. They will look gorgeous in front of that red and purple mountain. I like the pale blue car because it's spot of Cool relief with all that heat. Do some more like this.

ronaldb
07-22-2002, 11:30 PM
nice

i like the contrast of the cool car on the hot rocks

a series of these may be nice, repeating the rocks and the car in each version

love the vibrant colours

pampe
07-23-2002, 12:12 AM
way kewl...or hot;)

been right there...and you are so on target.....you can feel that heat

P

Pam B.
07-29-2002, 12:03 AM
Thanks for mentioning the rock. Sure is like ours. I'm not sure about the car either but the rest of it works really well for me.

I really love your work, especially your pastel and water colour!

So how's the show????????

djstar
07-29-2002, 12:24 AM
BUT I got myself all involved in "Inspired by Nature" which up until like MAY I had never even been.
I had 8 watercolors of cactus, three plein aire and four pastels. PERIOD, that were anything like nature... unless you count naked people.
SO I have 80sq.ft. of space to fill...... LET alone design displays!
I WILL update you!
Thanks for the notes!
dj*