PDA

View Full Version : From Acadia National Park (Maine)

JamieWG
08-21-2008, 10:18 PM
We spent a beautiful morning at Sand Beach. Most of Mt. Desert Island is rocky shore, but there are a few sand beaches nestled between rocky outcroppings that are just delightful contrasts. This is the most well known "Sand Beach" on the island, with shallow, turquoise water that is stunning.

I set up my stool in the sand with a big beach umbrella. The wind was way too strong and it wasn't long before I saw that the umbrella idea was not going to work out. LOL. The Golden OPEN paints stayed wet on my palette the entire time I was working, even sitting out there in the sun. It was a real pleasure.

Morning at Sand Beach en plein air
8x10", Golden OPEN Acrylics on sized Canson board

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Aug-2008/13766-080821_Morning_at_Sand_Beach_8x10_500.jpg

I wish I'd had more time to paint on the trip, but it was a family vacation and with five of us there, personal time was at a minimum. I did get one other acrylic painting done and will post it once I get a chance to photograph it.

Comments welcomed.

Jamie

OkeeKat
08-21-2008, 10:35 PM
Beautiful Jamie!! I love the rocks and water!!
Great sky too!!
I'm amazed at how you use so many different tones and brushstrokes!!

Bizkit
08-21-2008, 10:47 PM
Great Painting of the National Park!!!! Funny part is I work for the National Park Service and dont even paint them......I guess when you see it day in and day out its not quite as facinating. Obviously, I dont get to see nature like this in downtown New Orleans French Quarter either....All we paint here are french inspired buildings and we paint ALOT of them!!

susme48
08-21-2008, 10:52 PM
Wonderful as always!

shunter
08-22-2008, 12:02 AM
Another great little painting Jamie. Did you catch a nice breeze on the top of Cadillac Mountain while you were there?

Steve

sonita
08-22-2008, 12:12 AM
I love the rocks, the beach, the colors in the water but I am not sure about the horizon line...it seems to go up and down instead of being an even line..it looks not right IMO...but that might just me...what do I know?? :) :(
regards
Soni

chammi kaiser
08-22-2008, 06:28 AM
Jamie. You have drawn me into your picture so well. The rocks and beach are super. Agree with Soni that the horizon looks a little undulated. Could be that the sea is rougher out there?!

arl
08-22-2008, 08:07 AM
Wonderful. I love the way you painted the rocks.

JamieWG
08-22-2008, 09:03 AM
Kathie, thank you very much. I used a six color palette for this one. I've gradually been adding more colors. When I add too many, I feel I lose the color harmony. Then I go back to three, and start over!

Bizkit, how wonderful to work for the National Park Service! I'd be out there painting all the time, and they'd probably end up firing me! What do you do there? I have a friend who paints often in New Orleans. He does lots of boats and water and architecture. I'll find out which gallery down there carries his work.

Susan, thank you!

Steve, we drove up to the top of Cadillac mountain for sunsets as usual. I was going to do a watercolor sketch up there, but our daughter went off to take pics with my husband's camera and we couldn't find her! So, we were in a panic looking for her and I didn't paint! We finally found her just at sunset, so I snapped off a few photos and we had to go. I did start an oil painting up there a few years ago during sunset, and you remind me that I should pull that one out and try to finish it.

Hi Soni and Chammi! That unevenness on the horizon is a distant land form! It's slightly darker in value and slightly different in color than the water. There are islands all off the coast of Mt. Desert Island plus the Schoodic Peninsula, so you catch a distant land mass from almost any location.

Arlene, thanks so much. I always find those rock forms a huge challenge.

Jamie